Science Forums

Think about it for a sec...

Boerseun

A second might be too long. By that standard, the Police Academy movies are "the purest form of art." Think about that the next time you're watching one of them. Think about the weather. Think about your bank accounts. Think about your grocery list. Think about all the movies you could be watching that don't fit possibly the dumbest definition of art I've seen. Anything to take your mind off the movie in front of you.

--lemit

A second might be too long. By that standard, the Police Academy movies are "the purest form of art." Think about that the next time you're watching one of them. Think about the weather. Think about your bank accounts. Think about your grocery list. Think about all the movies you could be watching that don't fit possibly the dumbest definition of art I've seen. Anything to take your mind off the movie in front of you.

--lemit

Not so! The Police Academy movies were made purely for financial reward, and therefore aren't a patch on toilet art! :oh_really:

What? You've never heard of revenge?
Spot on!

I always remember one from my early uni years, about one of the general physics professors. Can't translate the clever rhyme and metric, but more or less it meant:

If constipation is giving you trouble, don't <displays of despair>. Just imagine you have XYZ right under your seat, you'll deliver the greatest heap ever seen!

Something interesting:

I normally expect bathroom graffiti to be vulgar and/or juvenile (like curse words, poorly-drawn phalli, etc), but I've recently been noticing something amusing at my school. We have something called the "Lederle Graduate Research Tower" which houses a lot of the major research labs on campus, and the bathroom graffiti couldn't be more reflective of that. For instance, I've seen drawings of galaxies, cell diagrams, large molecular structures, NMR spectrometers, etc.

I was relieving myself the other day, and thought, "Wow. Of course Lederle would have graffiti like this in the bathroom."

I may have to add something of my own. :rolleyes:

Kinetic art?

Saw one at the mall the other day, it was a dot behind the stall door at about eye level. It had an arrow pointing downwards, with a dotted line (with another couple of arrows pointing your head in the proper direction) which connected to a dot right at the bottom of the door. And there was a text bubble, with the words "You are now shitting at 45°".

But there are different forms of art or as lawcat perfers, vandalism. There is as buffy mentioned, revenge. Then there is tagging. And then there's just the lewd shapes and words.

For revenge, people hope to get at another party through the medium i.e. the bathroom wall, and slander them convincing others to stay away or pass it on as gossip, and it might even ruin somebody's image or repuation. Its not exactly critial acclaim, but it has a target and a purpose.

Tagging is a way to spread your name or gang name, either for purposes of marking territory or showing others who you are. In some places territory or making a name, even on a bathroom wall, can mean some sort of gain, either financial or otherwise.

Therefore this 'art' might not be so pure :-)