Science Forums

What is the true purpose of our life here on Earth?

Dark Mind

Ahhhh....cheesecake! Too bad the eating of all those trials would conflict with my desire to weigh less than 200 lbs. :hihi:
How did you know I weigh 200 pounds? Actually, 205, I think. I don't really know, since I don't own a scale.

If I did, I would probably quit making cheesecake.

How did you know I weigh 200 pounds? Actually, 205, I think. I don't really know, since I don't own a scale.

If I did, I would probably quit making cheesecake.

*snicker*

I once cooked two dozen New York cheesecakes for a reception's dessert table over the period of about a month - I have a habit of tasting my batter to make sure it's right before I put it into the oven. After that span, I noticed I'd gained nearly 8 pounds (and that included 5 days a week at the gym). I guess I tasted more than I thought I did. I needed a break. Cheesecake tasting is proportional to my belt size! :hihi:

What is the true purpose of our life here on Earth?

To Find God. To know God. To love God. To get prepared for the great beyond with God.:hihi:

You ought to read Journey of the Souls, by certified Master Hypnotherapist Michael Newton, Ph.D. :).

Tell me what you think of God and the afterlife then. :hihi:

You are right in general niviene but for me I mustnt need anything. As I dont need anything, I can be stronger. -Like a country that easily can survive with ambargo- :hihi:

If I cant eat bloody meat, that means Im away from my mother nature and Im weak in nature. :hihi: I love nature more than society although nature is the biggest society itself

If I cant eat bloody meat, that means Im away from my mother nature and Im weak in nature. :hihi:

I'm not sure why the bloody meat has anything to do with the purpose of life... but I think I understand your premise.

I love nature more than society although nature is the biggest society itself

Does that mean that by using your computer and participating here that you are essentially being antisocial? :hihi:

To get more toys than everyone else...

As I get older, I'm finding that I am more and more owned by the toys I have. Someone said that what you own ends up owning you, and I feel that this is true.

I want room to turn all this stuff into cooler stuff, but I just don't have the room, since it is already full of stuff!

Hence I am flogging a lot of good gear on eBay UK. Sadly there is no real "science" category.

Is there a buy/sell part on this forum? I shall go and look.

Own I have <--- That's a Freudian slip!

ONCE I have cleared some space, and sorted some stuff, I will be able to make my own toys, ones you can't buy in the shops! :naughty:

Your Honor, I intend to prove that the purpose of life is to exist, to survive and to thrive because in order to do that we will, in so doing, serve the highest purpose of all: To perceive existence and understand the nature of the universe.

In order to prove that, I would like to quote the following expert witnesses: Infamous, Dark Mind and James Putnam. I will then show that there is quite a consensus from the other contributors to this thread.

Infamous, you said “I believe you are fulfilling your purpose in life by asking the questions you asked in this post. The purpose of life is to ask why . If we could live for eternity, there would still be unanswered questions for us to ask.”

Dark Mind, you said “In case you were wondering what my purpose in life was that I finally came to the conclusion of, it's learning and spreading knowledge and information. This seems to be the worthiest cause in life to devote myself to. I, too, am sure there will be additions and subtractions to my purpose in life, but for now attaining, retention, and spreading of knowledge is a very worthy cause.

James Putnam, you said “My opinion is: The purpose of life anywhere is to reach the level of development that allows the successful discernment of the purpose of the universe. Beginning at the beginning, the purpose of the origin of the universe was to develop into the full universe. The purpose of the disassociated early universe was to associate. The purpose of association was to prepare the way for the emergence of environments suitable for the evolution of life. That association achieved its purpose when DNA was assembled. The purpose of DNA was to provide the means by which the plan for life would be fulfilled. The purpose of the plan for life was to achieve the completion of human life. The purpose of human life is to learn the purpose of the universe. This purpose can be revealed through human intelligence. While we are free to invent purpose, we are also programmed to distinguish between invented purpose and that which is intrinsic to our nature. We can choose to learn our intrinsic purpose by learning the means by which it is signaled to us.”

In closing, I would like to draw Your Honor’s attention to the fact that all of the above arguments show that the grand plan is one in which we would naturally take part, even without knowing what it is. That is, in order to take part in the grand plan we simply must survive and do what we would most naturally do. And in our case, that means understand the world around us.

That also means that the following experts were also correct in what they said:

OpenMind5, The purpose of life i would think is to live....

Orbcycli, i myself just want to use my creativity to my max potential. that's all i really want to do to be satisfied when i'm old and gray.

Babbler, Our purpose is to first survive, then thive.

The D.S., I believe the true meaning of our lives would be to live them out however you see fit. Being born into existence, we can but naturally continue to "live" and go on, making purposes for ourselves, the most basic of them being to just have fun and/or "live out your life" as was intended.

Aki, What is the purpose of the universe?

Mother Engine, to exist.

Buffy, ...for those other species on all those other inhabited planets in the Universe to exist!

Turtle, The purpose of the Universe is to provide places for all that sand.

I would also like to suggest the following possibility: Someday we might stand eye to eye with God and say, "I see. You were lonely."

I rest my case.

Maybe the purpose in life would have more meaning if we were to share our toys with others, we are, after all, not living in this world all by ourselves.

I'll second that. Then again, I like to give toys away when I have some I don't use anymore so maybe giving toys away is the purpose of life....

Quote:

Originally Posted by infamous

Maybe the purpose in life would have more meaning if we were to share our toys with others, we are, after all, not living in this world all by ourselves.

I'll second that. Then again, I like to give toys away when I have some I don't use anymore so maybe giving toys away is the purpose of life....

--------------------

C1ay

Well, if you are going to play with my toys, you might find yourself missing some fingers, or worse! And that's if I give you permission first.

Of course, if I think you are safe and sane, then I will show you the dangers, and make you competent!

My toys tend to be those that society frowns upon - fast moving, dangerous, fun, and requiring a lot of knowledge to make and use safely.

So if you are sharing toys, play it safe!