Science Forums

What is the true purpose of our life here on Earth?

Dark Mind

kaelcarp,

I say that, insofar as human logic is concerned, intelligence is uncaused.

Here is an example I give of evidence of intelligent purpose and direction: Human Intelligence. I would be interested in knowing if you agree with any of it.

James

I would say that you have not been paying attention to any of the discussion in this forum.

Compared to other boards I've posted on, the posts here are extremely short. I guess I didn't realize there was a different etiquette here. I'll try.

The size of the posts are fine, it's the size of the posts that you're quoting and then writing an equally long response to that makes it seem so long.

Just remember you can delete out parts of the quote that have no relevance to your response to shorten the appearance of your post, and save bandwidth ;).

• 2 months later...
Are we here to fullfill whatever our Earthly desires may be? Should we focus on balancing the condition of mind and body? Or should we focus mainly on the absorption of knowledge to become the greatest thinker of all time? Or should we focus our efforts solely on the bettering of our body? Does any of this even matter though, since we will all one day die, at least until they get that immortality thing down. What are your thoughts on the purpose (not meaning) of life.

I believe you are fullfilling your purpose in life by asking the questions you asked in this post. The purpose of life is to ask why . If we could live for eternity, there would still be unanswered questions for us to ask.

good for you, i'm really glad you do. i partially know mine, i know there will be additions and subtractions to the whole of my law as time marches on.

In case you were wondering what my purpose in life was that I finally came to the conclusion of, it's learning and spreading knowledge and information. This seems to be the worthiest cause in life to devote myself to. I, too, am sure there will be additions and subtractions to my purpose in life, but for now attaining, retention, and spreading of knowledge is a very worthy cause.:)

For a layman the true purpose of life should be to live it to the fullest with good health and a state of mind called satisfaction and happiness during most of the journey.Rest of all anlalysis doesnot count.Once we talk about life we talk about the journey between two poles of birth and death.Therefore the two poles themselves are not important and only the distance covered matters.So the purpose of life is not the anticipation and anxiety to reach the other end of it ,but the enjoyment of the journey in its present tense.

Thats a bit ego-centric I believe. What would be the basis of that conclusion?

Well, I mean it, literally. In the scheme of things, what seems to be the purpose of life - and not just my life, but the purpose of all life? Perception. Awareness. It's the one thing we use to determine if a thing is alive. And just because we cannot perceive what all other life forms perceive, doesn't mean they don't perceive.

Sometimes the most obvious truths are right next to us all the time. Think about it for a moment. Worms, fish, bunnies, turkeys, whales, trees, microbes, all perceive some aspect, some property of existence. My context is what I am capable of perceiving.

I don't know why you say it's ego-centric to say that I exist because the universe needs to be aware of itself. If it's true, it's true. If it's not, it's not. Or, as is most likely the case, it is partially true.

Do you filter your beliefs to exclude anything that might imply ego? That would be a self induced blind spot.

You could have shot me out of my boat by simply pointing out that inanimate (the universe) objects don't have needs. Only living things have needs. So "need" is perhaps the wrong term, unless the universe is alive.

But if there's a grain of truth in what I say, it might lead us in a direction that returns a different way of looking at things and, ultimately, ourselves. Now that would be ego centric.

I agree with Op5... I think the purpose of life is to live. I think those of us who are intelligent enough to realize that life may or may not have a point may create one for ourselves, and those who are not live just to exist. I also think that those of us who are intelligent enough to realize how cool it is to be alive get to enjoy it more.

My humble opinion.