Science Forums

My preferred OS is?

What is your preferred OS?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is your preferred OS?

Regardless of the dubious origins of the source code, MS-DOS was the last good thing that shipped with the Microsoft logo on it.
Well there's the problem: they changed their logo!

Blame the folks in marketing! :cup:

We're obviously going to spend a lot in marketing because we think the product sells itself, :) (and that one you *really* need to look up! :phones: )

Buffy

The last good thing Microshaft ever built.

Pity you don't get anything post 1995 to run on it, though... except in a shell running on another OS platform, which makes using it rather pointless.

Yeah DOS is awsome...It (DOS 7) makes my tasks easier at work by telling the turret punch and brake presses what the heck they're supposed to be doing so components come out perfectly punched and bent. Now if it could only do it without me having to program every step, calculate tonnage , backlash, and metal thickness down to the thousandth (of a millimeter).

Remember when floppies were *actually* floppy? Remember when the OS was built into the 64MB ROM?

Arrrh the good old days . .sigh

was it 12 or 14 years ago?

Seriously there is a group in Sydney trying to keep old technology. They have one of the original punch card jobs, circa 1950 which was the best, brighest and biggest in the world at the time.

They get no government support and have had to move tonnes (literally) of gear three times now to new rented premises.

The guys who know how to operate the machines are dying or going gar gar.

It would be nice to keep some of this old gear.

Some say that this period will be the information "Dark Ages" as old technology will not be preserved and hence social history will be lost.

How many of you have hard copies of your digital photos?

I still have a mac plus and an mac Se (both ithk 4Megs!! of rAM!!).

Both still work

Remember when floppies were *actually* floppy? Remember when the OS was built into the 64MB ROM?

64mb? I can remember buying a 2kb RAM expansion module for one of my machines, a ZX80, because the machine only came with 1kb. The OS was built into a 4kb ROM. It ran at a blazing 3Mhz and preceded floppy floppies.

BTW, I still have some of those floppy floppies and the box to run 'em on, a C128 with a version of CP/M, the precursor to DOS....

64mb? I can remember buying a 2kb RAM expansion module for one of my machines, a ZX80, because the machine only came with 1kb. The OS was built into a 4kb ROM. It ran at a blazing 3Mhz and preceded floppy floppies.

BTW, I still have some of those floppy floppies and the box to run 'em on, a C128 with a version of CP/M, the precursor to DOS....

Ok, you win, you're older. :) :)

I prefer mac....I switched to mac a year ago and love it.... the only downside i see to a mac is i am a gamer and it does make it a little frustrating from time to time....i got parallels and run windows through it but unfortunately it does not support 3d gaming yet....so when i want to play windoze games I have to reboot with bootcamp...

are you the real dr. know, that guy i see on tv sometimes, or are you just using his name as your nickname. I mean second one is ok, but the first would be wicked cool :confused:

unfortunately i just came up with the name because i couldnt think of anything else but i changed it.....sorry i could see how that would be cooler...now you just have someone named grains..:)