Science Forums

My preferred OS is?

What is your preferred OS?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is your preferred OS?

So actually there are 3 'nix choices, since OSX is basically BSD derivative, for the one windoze choice...

Actually you are mistaken (sorry to brake it to you), but while on the topic, some edumacation is, in my eyes, a must (this is only because i was discussing this with a friend, a couple of days ago)

If you really want to be technical OS X uses a darwin kernel, which is based on XNU kernel by NeXT, which is a Mach kernel combined with the BSD kernel, of which BSD part takes up the POSIX API, and is responsible for user permissions, network stack, audit subsys, crypto and VFS.

IMHO, apple should have purchaised BeOS, i think their OS would have performed a hell of a lot better, and would be more secure... cuz honestly, ipfw....old, say hello to pf :D

Also, Solaris is a Unix-based OS, infact, its certified against the Single Unix Specification...

BSD is an original variant of Unix

BSD is Unix, well i guess depending on who you ask, Berkley has written so much Unix code, that they are considered a branch of Unix, thus BSD is even more appropriately named BSD Unix. In my opinion, since there is no real central core that manages or develops unix, since AT&T employees at Bell Labs, are no longer developing the system, i think Berkley stepped up to the plate and rightfully took over. Since there have not been any real updates since Version 7 Unix, i think it would be kind, and rightful to call BSD as Unix (think jesus/god relationship in the new testament).

Linux, but not because I think it is userfriendly (not at all) but because everything seems possible and once you know how it is even logic (have you for example tried to install emacs on windows it is possible but I gave up after a while on xubuntu you type apt-get install emacs and you have it easy no?).

As for games it is enough to have dual boot with any version of windows (recent enough) and then you can play everything...now the real geek would figure out how to play all and any game under linux or are there limits there?

Well my selection is linux because it is open source and it goes along with the philosophy of the internet. Imagine the explosion of knowledge and the advance of society with these new tools. As an example, The printing press invention created a total new society. I bet if we aloud a monopoly to run our computers and the internet, the advantages of this new tools will be confine only to what is good, money wise, to that particular entity.

My fav OS?

Easy.

MS-DOS.

By miles.

The last good thing Microshaft ever built.

Pity you don't get anything post 1995 to run on it, though... except in a shell running on another OS platform, which makes using it rather pointless.

Interesting case in point - all you Windoze haters out there, if you want to cut your crashes by 99.9%, do the following: (only if you're not going to blame me for your own fingerslips which might result in the destruction of your machine and the meltdown of your house which might cause the authorities to declare your neighbourhood a no-go disaster area...)

For XP, run cmd.

Type cd

Type Attrib boot.ini -R

Type edit boot.ini

Go to the line saying on which disk your OS is to be found. It'll be the line including the words "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" in it. Click on that line, and press the "End" button on your keyboard. That'll take you to the end of the line (duh). Look for the switch saying noexecute=optin. Delete the optin part, and replace it with alwaysoff. Type Alt+F on your keyboard. Go down to Exit and whack Enter. Go to the Yes button on the Save File screen, and whack Enter. Type exit and whack Enter once again. Restart your machine.

Voila.

Gratuitous Windows crashes down by an order of magnitude.

So, it's not that Windows is inherently unstable, its simply the road to hell being paved with good intentions. Windows attempts to pre-empt errors by automatically downing your machine, which makes for an even bigger cock-up than what the error would've been. Idiots.

Except for the fact that MS didn't build it, they simply bought QDos, a derivative of CP/M, as the foundation for MS-DOS....
Okay, okay - I stand corrected.

Let me rephrase:

Regardless of the dubious origins of the source code, MS-DOS was the last good thing that shipped with the Microsoft logo on it.