Science Forums

My preferred OS is?

What is your preferred OS?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is your preferred OS?

Windows gives me my living, but it stops me not from LOATHing it.

Mac OS X, while it has a really nice, and polished interface, it has a lot of things that urk me on the background, such is the fact that they are still using ipfw, and just the whole non-polished backside is just gaaah, hard to work with...!?

So i choose linux, while there are plenty of things that urk me about linux, it's an awesome 1/2 way point. It has nice interfaces, tho i never use them, but it does not match OS X's interface, not quite, relativistically close, but not quite there; though it beats any windows interface by miles, too (and dont give me vista BS, vista interface sucks as much as XP does). But, the back end of Linux is a lot more polished then Mac OS, no random /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0, just nice and polished /dev/sda1, also i prefer iptables over ipfw, it has a bunch more features, and to me, anyways, an easier way to interface with it... Hell of a lot more stable then windows, very customizeable, and edges out OS X by just a little bit :) (and dont get me wrong, i love my mac)

Having used a Mac system from day one and being ridiculed for using a mouse and having 4megs of RAM (Why would you need all that?) Then being frustrated by the clunkyness of PCs.( eg Why can't you call a file what you want to call it? ).

Now I have used Windows 9pro) for three years and it amazes me that Microsoft could have ripped off so much of the Mac system without paying for it.

I would not bother upgrading.

My continual winges and whines about Windows have resulted in a new second hand Mac as yet not set up to the net. The OSX is a little different to what I am used to but still it is more intuitive and elegant than windows.

The Win files translate beautify, seamless to the Mac but not always the other way round.

However the differences between the two systems is probably fairly small. (I still need to play more on the new Mac)

So are you a mac user, in the closet?

In the closet? I've got several of "all of the above" sitting here. Not a closet anything, but the Linux box is by far the most unused! The dirty little secret if anything is that it dual boots BSD which is what it runs most of the time, because in fact just about its *only* purpose around here is that we use it for lex/yacc stuff to transform complexly structured data! The rest are used roughly in proportion to their market shares...such is the life in the software biz....

scarf_whitespace(), :scratchchin:

Buffy

I prefer windows. I think the average person that always has problems with "windows" it is usually there usage that causes all the problems. I have rarely ever had any issues with windows crashing but I take care of my operating system so I dont know. That is why i Probably prefer windows. I have used it all my life also.

lol I constantly have problems with windows, ck27, though i would take serious offense if you called me an average user. I spend much time, in windows, and i still have lots and lots of problems with it....

Not a closet anything, but the Linux box is by far the most unused!

Tsk, tsk, that's just sad, all that power, just dwindling away....

"Al Gore: As I discuss in my book Earth in the Balance, and the more popular Harry Potter and the Balance of the Earth, we need to protect ourselves against the greenhouse effect and dark wizards.

Dark Wizard: Oh sure, blame the wizards."

No one yell at me ::cup::
Oh you're too cute to yell at dear! :)
Honestly, I've experienced no bugs or problems with Vista so I don't see why people are up in arms over it. Maybe I'm just lucky?
Well, if its a new machine and you didn't have to plug anything into it, you're probably just fine!

Me I've got old scanners and printers that don't work, and now have a new sales person who needs to run a SQLServer2k instance on it and its, well, ugly.

Interesting datapoint: no one in Microsoft Development uses it *except* the Vista team!

But lets not let this thread degrade into a "Vista Sucks" thread: we already got a few of those...

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see from here, :eek:

Buffy

Is Ubu. Nux or other??????? I can't vote till I know......so much pressure.....gotta vote right .........THE PRESSURE!!!!!!!!!

I like Hardy Heron (Ubu. 8.04 I believe)...It's a challenge...And it does excite me to no end when I manage to figure things out all on my own!:cup: A successful keyboard shortcut to open a terminal, a successful install........In short I like Ubu. not edubu, xubu, or any other, just plain Ubuntu (there is a difference) because I get to enjoy the frustration of trying to figure it out and the sweet sweet satisfaction of succeeding:)