Science Forums

Unblockable popups

freez, i use quickjava plug-in, i like it a lot more then noscript actually.... but right now i am disappointed that they have not modded it for beta5 here :shrug:

T, i've never even seen popups for hypo, even when i they were on... just like i didn't see the ads up on top of the page... etc

Reread my post: in order to control the user's interactions and reduce "confusion" (our target users are only moderately tech savvy), we run our application in a window with the browser's menus toolbars, etc. *removed*: all you see is the window frame and our application is inside it, and we provide all the navigation within it.

Gotcha.

We're almost at the point of actually writing plug-ins or installable applications on the desktop where we have the power to look at what's there and defeat it directly (kinda like trojan ad-ware does!), but we've been trying to avoid this like the plague because big F500 IT shops *hate* having to manage (or in some cases even *allow*) installation of software on user's desktops. If we can make this work with pure Javascript we are *much* better off.

Good luck with that.

Wouldn't you run into spyware problems by looking at what is installed on the desktop? In other words, trying to circumvent the pop-up blocker might trigger a spy/adware monitoring program.

Forgive him REASON, he's *way* to young to have actually seen this in anything but "I Love The 70's" on VH1.... :shrug:

Ahem, actually I did see that commercial during its original airing and I don't watch VH1. Nonetheless, I'll take that as a compliment. :lol:

I learned it by watching you. :hihi:

If we can make this work with pure Javascript we are *much* better off.

do i hear, Firefox plug-in?

oh on that whole thing with browser bars removed... I actually did that when i was writing a kiosk, only i also removed the functionality behind those, that way an escape sequence will not allow you to add a bookmark (even if you dont see them), etc.

You can somewhat monitor what is going on, but only browser-wise, you needn't look farther then youos to get ideas on how to set up the environment...

Good luck with that.

Wouldn't you run into spyware problems by looking at what is installed on the desktop? In other words, trying to circumvent the pop-up blocker might trigger a spy/adware monitoring program.

No. Once you're officially installed as an application, its pretty easy to scan the registry or Applications folders for the plug ins. Virus detection/spyware mostly rely on "signatures" of reported malware if they're installed. Otherwise they're looking at *external* points of entry, like probing ports or anything inside an installable browser plug-in. What I was describing above was not a browser plug-in, but rather an explicitly downloadable native app which has much more freedom of movement. Of course having to support such a beast on multiple platforms is also a no-fun exercise, but the objections from the big IT shops is actually worse.
oh on that whole thing with browser bars removed... I actually did that when i was writing a kiosk, only i also removed the functionality behind those, that way an escape sequence will not allow you to add a bookmark (even if you dont see them), etc.
Yah, we do that too: disabling the right-click menus, etc.

A little dab'll do ya, :)

Buffy

Too bad there's not a way for the launch link to your app to "programmatically" hold down the Ctrl key. We struggle with the popup issue and confused end-users in our training system all of the time since we open web-based courses into new windows like you without the toolbars and menus and bars and such. If only we could make the launch link "programmatically" press and continue to hold down the Ctrl key as it's launched, instead of having to explain how to do this manually to every user...

Too bad there's not a way for the launch link to your app to "programmatically" hold down the Ctrl key....
I know. Yet another thing you can do if you have an app locally installed, but no way to get the browser to do it...

I know alex likes to rage about it, but it really is the reason that ActiveX works the way it does. That's an evil desktop-deployed element though and doesn't pass the IT firewall...

And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear, :)

Buffy

Perhaps the IT group could push an update to all users which programs your url into the list of trusted sites. That way, no popup circumvention needed, it "knows" that yours is one to be trusted and allow popups.

So, the IT group pushes an update to add your link to the list of trusted sites:

"Allow Content from [buffySite.com]."

Just a thought. Good luck with it all.

Perhaps the IT group could push an update to all users which programs your url into the list of trusted sites. That way, no popup circumvention needed, it "knows" that yours is one to be trusted and allow popups.
Yah, that's what I'm talking about: the IT folks loathe to do this. We've got one customer (F50), who have a built-in six-month security review of *anything* to be pushed to the desktop. We've had a nasty bug related to IE that was fixed in an IE patch that was issued almost a year ago, but their IT group *still* has not certified the IE patch and won't distribute it for another couple of months, so we had to put a workaround in our system to fix Microsoft's problem....

Not pretty!

No, I insist, after you! :)

Buffy

Yah, that's what I'm talking about: the IT folks loathe to do this. We've got one customer (F50), who have a built-in six-month security review of *anything* to be pushed to the desktop. We've had a nasty bug related to IE that was fixed in an IE patch that was issued almost a year ago, but their IT group *still* has not certified the IE patch and won't distribute it for another couple of months, so we had to put a workaround in our system to fix Microsoft's problem....

That's ridiculous!

Technology Review Boards like that can be a PITA, but are necessary.
Amen. I've sat on both sides of the table....
It's easy to make it happen in a week if you talk to the right people and you're on the right project.
You can say that again: unfortunately, we're in a non-revenue-producing department who are lucky they got our little app budgeted at all. Heck we cost them less than a half-million dollars! We're small potatoes! And we have all the wrong friends! ;)

The Army Way, :cheer:

Buffy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Its not a car, its a Volkswagen,

Buffy

Why buy a Volkswagen?..............................................................

It makes your house look bigger.

Oh yeah up the VW microbus was actually considered a station wagon by the Folks at VWAG.

The Type 2 actually had two classes the Transporter and the bus

busses were people carriers and Transporter's (Which included panel vans, High roofs ,single cab pickups and double cabs) were for cargo (interestingly many people carriers left Hanover with Transporter badges). Yet another interesting fact VW produced the first three and four door extended cab light trucks and the first minivan both of which Chrysler claims credit for even though the caravan was over 30 years late and regular production Dodge light pickups didn't get extra doors until 40 years after the first three and four door units rolled out of Hanover.

Sorry got carried away there....couldn't help myself...... I loooooovvvvvve old (aircooled) VW's all models all years!:) It's all Buffy's fault!!:)

Using Opera

no popups

just messages saying popup blocked

dont need ad block with opera, have opera on my mobile too as I hate IE with a passion that borders on mania....

and I also like to be neat....in a tidy way I mean...

There is always a well-known solution to every human problem neat, plausible and wrong

HL Mencken

Love the site though ta very much :)

Peace

:)