Science Forums

Unblockable popups

Hey Distrubd, any house would look ginormous next to a Peel P50... Hell, a cardboard box would look like a mansion next to it :P
:naughty: Pretty cool! Looks kinda lika a BMW Isetta.....only spunkier...boxy things rule! Shame they're probably not road legal here....and probably expensive to obtain.:turtle:

BTW. that was an actual VW Type 1 advert slogan.

not highway legal in the states, but you can use it on the back roads, it uses a 50cc scooter motor, you don't even need a license to drive it :)

They only made about a 100 Peels, and only about 40 sport model Peels, you can get kits to build them, the kit is about 1500 pounds for just the body, or about 9000 pounds for a full kit (partly assembled)

though if it was me, i would use a honda 50 cc dirtbike motor, throw a big boar kit, pistons, rods and everything that comes with that, header, performance carb, intake and an after market exhaust can (bend the pipe depending on how the motor mounts), to get it to about 90cc, pusing like 10-12HP, grab a bike gear box, use the clutch kit available for the gear boxes to rig up the clutch, lastly, i'll need to modify the box to have a reverse though...

1500 pounds for just the body, or about 9000 pounds for a full kit (partly assembled)

:) That's GOT to be a typo!!!!!:hihi:

it uses a 50cc scooter motor, you don't even need a license to drive it :P

Here in Pa. you have to have a liscence for all motor-vehicles. There is supposed to be an exception for "off road vehicles used occasionaly on road" But my run-ins with state troopers with my dirt bikes proves otherwise (the first time they suspended the DL that I didn't even have yet for six months, then charged me $600 for towing and storage, followed by $2000 in fines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wasn't even riding at the bike the time (fearing getting into trouble I was pushing it over to a friends to ride on their trails. The determining factor... key was in the ignition.)

though if it was me, i would use a honda 50 cc dirtbike motor, throw a big boar kit, pistons, rods and everything that comes with that, header, performance carb, intake and an after market exhaust can (bend the pipe depending on how the motor mounts), to get it to about 90cc, pusing like 10-12HP, grab a bike gear box, use the clutch kit available for the gear boxes to rig up the clutch, lastly, i'll need to modify the box to have a reverse though...
For all that effort you may as well use a 110 or 125cc Quad motor! Their cheap, readily available, and some already have reverse... I'm guessing you're not too familiar with small displacement motorcycles (750cc and smaller) (no shame in that) to be honest I've never seen seperate gearboxes on anything but mini-bikes (the briggs powered type).

i am, actually, worked on street bikes, ATVs, dirt bikes, jet skis and snow mobiles for 4 years, back in high school, they certainly come as a single piece, must have missworded that... Even the Busa and zx-14, today are all single casing for motor and gearbox, it's like a de-facto standard, you save a lot of weight and trouble, and as a matter a fact, i don't think that they have made a bike with a separate gear box on a bike (street bike, mainly) since, if i had to guess, the early 80s, i mean the first unit-constructed bike engine happened back in the 50s, if my memory serves me right...

i should have said, that i'd open up the transmission to throw in a clutch kit, and modify the trany to have 4 gears, one of which will have to work as reverse.

You could take a 125 or 150CC quad motor, but, you don't get the satisfaction of saying that you are running a 50 motor in the car, they are also a lot bigger (space and weight-wise), which is a minus in this case, when you are trying to fit the engine into a tiny body behind the driver.

key was in the ignition

Yep, that's what it boils down to, but that's an example of cop being a dick, though, same thing with cell phones here (here in CT you can not hold the phone next to your ear and drive). Did you contend that? because that is just messed up, you can register ATVs and drive them on the street, but you can't walk your bike? Key in ignition would be merely a convenience (though i dunno the whole story)

And, you are in PA, shoot, 4 hours and i'm there, and i can visit Hell on the way over. :phones:

4 hours and i'm there, and i can visit Hell on the way over.
Hell's about 5 or 6 hours to the south east of here. I live near Erie in a small town named North East (which Ironicly is in the north west most portion of the state!)

Secondly I hope I didn't offend...some of us know the ins and outs of moto-mechanicals some don't...Obviously I was mistaken in my impression from your post (sorry bout that)...As far as bikes are concerned some Indian and Harley based bikes still get a separate box but they're the only ones I know of (but some of them have one piece units too).

you save a lot of weight and trouble
Until you gotta split the case! (worse when you're trying to put it back together!)

You could shoe-horn in an old 100cc paralel twin from a Yamie (I loooooove old Yamaha two-strokes) and really have yourself one heck of a sportster type version:hihi: And they're really tiny. Honda had their own version with an automatic in the '70s (with reverse no less!! WTF do you need reverse for on such a tiny bike!!!!)

Did you contend that? because that is just messed up, you can register ATVs and drive them on the street, but you can't walk your bike? Key in ignition would be merely a convenience (though i dunno the whole story)

I tried...no dice...yes it was a convenience type thing, I being the type that perpetually loses things, it lived in the ignition at ALL times (so it wouldn't get lost I stored it in the seat lock after that mess though)

(here in CT you can not hold the phone next to your ear and drive).
NY and PA are supposed to be that way but it doesn't seem to be enforced.

Oh yeah the judge that nailed me is doing time for misconduct over a few similar cases a few years back. SERVES HIM RIGHT!!!! misrable sob!

I loooooove old Yamaha two-strokes

they still make some of the best bikes, YZF-r6 in my mind is still the most racey-feeling 600 in it's class, and the fact that they shortened the stroke, and brought the revs waay up, to have the bike hit the power curve for longer, just prove that point. I like the feel of that chassis, though i personally like the look and feel of the R6S more (it's their 04 model brought back), my only problem with that was, why the 04 model? 05 had the inverted front end, and so does the 08 model, but noo, they turned around and went with the 04 model, i mean not that it's a bad bike, by no means, but it would have been nice to see inverted front end, works better for endos too, oops, did i say that out loud :phones:

Their 4 stroke single cylinder bikes are crazy fun too, their KX110 is insanely fun, comes with a 4 gear box, and a shifter that only does 3, so right off the back, replace the shaft there and youhave a 4 speed, they also make a clutch kit, and a 125 kit for it, and tell you what, even as a 110, that thing packs a punch, second gear lifts the front end without much trouble, and that says a lot about a mini dirtbike...

My friend had a YZ450, that thing is a little heavy, but makes up for that in the power, like i have a suzuki 400SM, street-legal supermoto, and i tell you, the power difference is huuge, racing motor makes so much more power, it's amazing...

though i have to say, my, to this day, most favoritest thing they have ever made, is the banshee... Fastest quad out of the crate, and can become so lethally powerful, especially with that 610cc kit, it seriously starts scaring the living crap out of people, like a resurrection of a Quadzilla, on drugs. It's seriously insane when your quad makes well over 150HP, when you can shift it in 3rd gear and take off like you were in first, or if you are on the pavement, go, first, second, and while moving at 10-12 MPH shift into 3rd or 4th or fifth (cuz it doesn't even matter), lay on gas, and just bake the tires... oh, those things are insane...

Secondly I hope I didn't offend

oh no, you didn't offend me, you'd have to seriously try to do that

I being the type that perpetually loses things, it lived in the ignition at ALL times

Lol, you know, back when i had a 70, i don't think that i have ever taken the key out, infact, if you were to ask someone to find the key on it, it will take them more then 2 minutes to do so, generally...

NY and PA are supposed to be that way but it doesn't seem to be enforced.

here they are, though it's funny, right, when you get pulled over for elegedly talking on your cell phone without using a hands-free device, by a cop that was doing the same damn thing, though he quickly found out that i was using speaker phone, and thus couldn't do anything, gave me a warning, cuz he didn't want to look stupid ;)

Oh yeah the judge that nailed me is doing time for misconduct over a few similar cases a few years back.

:cup: Serves him right, for finding you guilty. Honestly, if i were the judge in that case, i'd fine the police department for ruining your day, and taking you away from your outdoors activities!

Then again, i'd have to make a few laws pertaining to motorcycle motorists, like granting them access to commercial parking lots to keep stunting off the street, and such....

Sometimes its scary how off-topic a thread can get... :)

If I'm out trailriding, I have a favorite motorcycle. Riding on the road, I've got a favorite. If I'm jumping, I have a favorite, and if I'm racing, I have a favorite, :)

Buffy

Soooorrrrrrry Buffy.... :edepress:

I do try to behave:edepress: honest I do.

Do you ride:)?

Yeah yeah I know:edepress: I was jus tryin' to be friendly.

If I'm out trailriding, I have a favorite motorcycle. Riding on the road, I've got a favorite. If I'm jumping, I have a favorite, and if I'm racing, I have a favorite,

Buffy

:hihi: Sounds just like my wife, daughter, and grand daughter when they get here after work and school.

If I'm out trailriding, I have a favorite motorcycle. Riding on the road, I've got a favorite. If I'm jumping, I have a favorite, and if I'm racing, I have a favorite

Yeah sure, leave out stunt riding, not like it takes any skills and it cou;dn't possibly have a favorite motorcycle, i mean that's just... (jk)

um yeah the thread is a wee-bit off, just a touch :sherlock:

Do you ride:)?

:hihi: Sounds just like my wife, daughter, and grand daughter when they get here after work and school.

Yeah sure, leave out stunt riding, not like it takes any skills and it cou;dn't possibly have a favorite motorcycle, i mean that's just... (jk)

Goodness boys, you obviously did not bother to look it up.... :sherlock: :turtle: :read:

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself, :clue:

Buffy

Goodness boys, you obviously did not bother to look it up....

No Haven't had time yet. As for the portion you quotes the ladies here (the ones I mentioned above) come home to me eagerly wanting to tell me everything that happened today and I mean everything!!! There are no pauses for even a hint of a breath. Of course if I weren't such a good listener (or actually had something to say)...But all three literally just as you posted
If I'm out trailriding, I have a favorite motorcycle. Riding on the road, I've got a favorite. If I'm jumping, I have a favorite, and if I'm racing, I have a favorite,
:confused: It's odd anyone else and I know I'd get annoyed rather quickly...but them...they make me giggle, it's just too funny.

I promise I'll try to find what you're refering too...a bit later today but I'll look for it.

Alex any of those fellers you? (god that's alot of bike to be doing that on! I'll stick to 250 2-strokes....well at least for doin crazy #### on...sure is a nice bike though!)

lol yeah, i ride with those guys all the time, they just don't know how to take good pictures :naughty:

Um, you do realize that there is a reason they use a 4 cylinder fuel injected 4 stroke for that, right?

ok, ok, i will explain, since most people have little to no idea how that all works:

the first thing that happens to a 600cc bike, such as the r6 you see in the images, the bike gets geared, and by geared i mean, Mark, the black guy you see on the images, runs a 2 down (front), 4 up, setup, which gives the bike a lot more torque on launch. Second thing that happens to the bike is the idle screw gets an extension to a comfortable knob, so you can adjust it at your leasurely convenience, Mark runs the idle at about 3.5k for this stuff, though he does go up or down depending on what exactly he is doing, what that allows you to do is take your hands off the throttle and still maintain the bike up in the air. And that part aint easy either, you are doing a little more then a walking pace, the bike needs to be kept up, at or rather behind the ballance point, and also straight.

So what you do is, you launch the bike, meaning rev it up and dump the clutch, careful to give it enough gas to bring the bike to the balance point, then you use the rear break to control how up and down the bike is, you let it go past balance point backwards, and control that you are at the balance point by slowing the bike down with the break (you are constantly on it, more or less). Then there is the task of keeping the bike from falling left or right, and then you start learning how to turn, and eventually get to the point of doing circle wheelies (complicated trick, you go into it by having the bike straight up and down, way past the balance point, and you lean it back and off to the side, while slowing bike, almost to a stand-still, when the bike is at the right angle (at this point falling), you give it gas and it whips the bike around, that jerk prevents the bike from actually falling to the ground, and speed there controls the angle and speed of the circle, newest thing out there that people do is get the front of the bike pretty damn low to the ground for some fast circles, goal is to continue doing that indefinitely, doing continuous circle wheelie).

No-handers are rather difficult as well, you exhibit a lot less control on the bike, by letting go of the handle bars all together, takes lots of practice, and how far you go is all dependent on your skill :turtle:

um lastly, you see mark doing a gas hand off seat stander. What he did was put up another master on the handlebars on the left, and ran another break line, to the master on the bottom right, to a longer, and specially-made screw that connects the two brake lines together (one coming from the master up top, to the one going to the rear break), which alows him to control the rear brake from the handle bars.

Endo's is perhaps the only trick shown there that you, or anyone who rides, can do on the 250, but again, how most people do endos, is not how stunters do them, most people don't roll once they are up on the front wheel, you also can not roll them anywhere near the length that you can do on a street bike. current world record is over a 1000 feet, you simply don't have that kind of enertia on a lighter bike, such as a 250.... Trust me, i can only roll for a bit longer then 100 feet on a drz-400sm that i ride.... and that's if i bring it right up in top third gear, so about 40-45mph (and that is the only trick i can do better then both mark and jeff (the white guy with the cigarette)), though this guy we used to ride with used to get 200+ foot endos on his r6 at about the same speed (maybe a bit faster)

lastly, i wanted to say that it's not that you can't do any of this on a 250, generally though, for stunting, street bikes are the de-facto standard, based on the way they are balanced, which alows them to look higher up in the air, when they are at balance point, they are more powerful, which helps in shows, to get crowd going with some burn-outs, lastly they are a lot smoother of a motor, which helps with riding at high idle, as does fuel injection, like when your bike is up in the air, your idle doesn't just drop when you start running out of fuel in the carb...

Um, you do realize that there is a reason they use a 4 cylinder fuel injected 4 stroke for that, right?

Yeah but it has less to do with performance and more to do with cool factor I believe...especially with the motor cross muscle vs.weight these days.
runs a 2 down (front), 4 up, setup, which gives the bike a lot more torque on launch.
I'm assuming you mean two fewer teeth on the front sprocket 4more on the rear.
you simply don't have that kind of enertia on a lighter bike, such as a 250.... Trust me
Mine weighs in at about 300lbs. that's alot of inertia trust me...Want some real fun try an endo with drum brakes!(though I've gotten pretty good at finesin' 'em....I've personaly managed 100'+ on the front tire (65mph starting speed and I was $#i+ing bricks the entire time:hihi:Did I mention I roll on nobbies), on the back so far half a mile is the limit (just aint enough staight around here).

And what's with all that carb fanangeling....A sticky slide works just as well:hihi:as also does sticky rusty old throttle cables:hihi:

Yeah but it has less to do with performance and more to do with cool factor I believe

no it's because of how they are ballanced and how and where they make power....

I'm assuming you mean two fewer teeth on the front sprocket 4more on the rear.
yes, and actually i was mistaken, 2 down 8 up :rolleyes: i run a 1 down 4 up on my drz 400sm

Mine weighs in at about 300lbs

a 250cc 2 stroke? i'd beg to differ.... just looked up the yz250 specs, they are 229lb, give or take, depending on the year, there's still nowhere to put 70 more lb on, though :evil:

R6S (their 04 model reincarnated (those assholes could not bring back the 05 model, that had inverted front end....)) that, stock is 410lb.... so even 300 (not dry weight) vs 410lb (dry weight), way more enertia..., and you also have a crash cage, which is 1/4 inch thick steel tubing, 12 bar, another brake caliper on the swing arm.... that all adds to the weight you know ;)

Want some real fun try an endo with drum brakes!

and why do you make this assumption that i have not done that, i dunno, used to roll on the xr70, 2nd gear, 30-35 feet :hihi: Hell, i've rolled endos sitting on the tank with my feet over the handlebars on an artcic cat DVX-400 (yes a quad)

I've personaly managed 100'+ on the front tire

yes, but can you manage that consistently ;) what about turning the bike around on the front tire at the end (that is so fun, though i'm not consistent with getting that to 180, i go over 90 degrees 9/10 times)?

on the back so far half a mile is the limit

you have much to learn young skywalker, five and a half, turns and all, all in second gear at about 35mph (what, was i going faster then the speed limit, officer, i thought the speed limit is 35... oh it is, so what's the issue then?) ;)

Did I mention I roll on nobbies

on the 70, the upper part of the knobs on the tire, all wore off, they didn't look like square knobs, they were triangular...

Lol on the drum brakes note, i have rolled so many endos on my bike that the rotor (you know how they are 2 piece that are held by these rivet-type thingies, allowing about an 1/8 inch play in the actual rotor so it can self-center upon braking, well, i have rolled so many endos (and i have seen my rotor glow, once or twice) that i now have over a 1/2 of inch of play, and that is after i fixed it last year (from the rotor expanding and contracting so much), hehe. I keep on reading on forums to upgrade to steel braded lines, or upgrade the brakes to get higher speed endos better, well, more consistent feel of the brake, as well as more gripping power to come up.... i dunno, might give it a try...