Science Forums

Artificial intelligence

I didn't mean to, but yes...I so assert.

So if we created an articificial device that did everything a chimpanzee brain does, a neural net that matched the chimpanzee's intelligence - which you admit they have - point for point, it still wouldn't count as artificial intelligence? Why not? It would be artificial and it would be intelligent.

Turtle: I don't deny the animals' intelligence, but it's not our intelligence. Since it is we humans here conspiring to design machine intelligence, we can'tinclude any other animals' intelligence untill they post here as well.

Taken just as written, that doesn't seem to make much sense. Are you implicitly relying on some point made earlier in the thread?

Let me ask you this. Do you consider Honda's robot Asimo (<-spelling) to walk?

Don't want to sound too much like FreeThinker, but aren't you anthropomorphizing intelligence a bit there? You seem to be defining intelligence as human intelligence: something has to be able to do all that the human mind can do before that thing can be considered intelligent. Might be somewhat like claiming dogs can't run because they don't run the way humans do.

Yeah, you do sound like FT, but its not a bad thing all the time...

Quick answer is no, it may seem a bit that way, but no. Dolphins and chimps i beleive to have intelligence, but if you define intelligence as the ability to think rationaly, I'd have to disagree with your definition of intelligence for i beleive it to be a bit more. But from what you are saying it seems like you dont feel like chimps can think outside the box, but the truth is that they do that most of the time, whad do you think play is? If add to the definition the ability for something to develop skills by trial and error, well, again, play really isnt trial and error, yet it builds up to the ability to develop animal (and human) barin diring childhood, so that must not be just thoughtless acts, you must have to think outside your survival thoughts to do so... (Pellis, Iwaniuk and biologist John Nelson, of Monash University, reported that there is a strong positive link between brain size and playfulness for mammals in general.)

I didn't mean to, but yes...I so assert. I don't deny the animals' intelligence, but it's not our intelligence. Since it is we humans here conspiring to design machine intelligence, we can'tinclude any other animals' intelligence untill they post here as well. (insert Flipperesc squeaking here) :hyper:

Let's all hope that as AI develops we are smart enough to not directly copy "Human Intellegence". I think we are all aware of the flaws in "human intellegance" and can program around it.

Imagine a spreadsheet program based on strict human intellegence where perhaps we would have to make 5 or 6 of them and compare the results to make sure it calculated correctly.

Since we don't converse with any other animals but humans, we don't knowhow/what the other animals think (ie, the nature of their intelligence), & therefore we can't design an artificial example of it. How would you prove you have a machine that thinks like a dolphin unless you can consult with dolphins? ;)

Exactly. Moreover , you wouldn't throw in a machine immulating (making artificially) human intelligence to test for human intelligence. No, as humans we can only artificialize that which we experience. Whether it's the Turing Test or the Turtle Test, we are talking about artificial human intelligence here. ;) Discuss...

Hey, I just spotted something interesting... I dont know what you guys make of it but anyway. here it is.

Sex and the single robot

Scientists have made them walk and talk. There are even robots that can run. But a South Korean professor is poised to take their development several steps further, and give cybersex new meaning.

Kim Jong-Hwan, the director of the ITRC-Intelligent Robot Research Centre, has developed a series of artificial chromosomes that, he says, will allow robots to feel lusty, and could eventually lead to them reproducing. He says the software, which will be installed in a robot within the next three months, will give the machines the ability to feel, reason and desire.

Kim said: "Robots will have their own personalities and emotion and - as films like I Robot warn - that could be very dangerous for humanity. If we can provide a robot with good - soft - chromosomes, they may not be such a threat."

Although he admits his ideas sound fantastic, Kim is no crank. In the mid-1990s, the professor launched the robot football world cup, which has since become one of the most popular means for robotics researchers to measure their progress against competitors from around the world

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/science/sto....html?gusrc=rss

Since we don't converse with any other animals but humans, we don't knowhow/what the other animals think (ie, the nature of their intelligence).

What about Koko the gorillia that can use sign language? She has created new signs for things she does not know, and uses symbols for abstract ideas (such as like and dislike).

On a sidenote, if we create AI, does that mean that there could also be AS, Artificial Stupidity? :) What if the robot/computer/etc. decided NOT to learn? Would there be lazy robots?

Your Kopko example is good, however, can Koko pass either the Turing Test or the Turtle Test I posted above? I think not. ...
I've always loved Eliza and was facinated to watch people spend hours thinking it actually was intelligent. Unfortunately, it kind of proves that if you put a lot of people behind the curtain for a Turing test, you'd conclude that they were a machine. Koko beats out a lot of people I've met in my day.... :cup:

Cynically,

Buffy