Science Forums

Artificial intelligence

Natural law in a computer is the parameters of a program, if a program is designed to change its own programming and spawn new versions of itself, and then some of those versions are better at creating new ones and changing, and the others are worse, and ones that cannot are deleted along with old ones, how is that not alike what happens in nature, where there are different species, which reproduce, and better ones reproduce better and survive and worse ones do not.

Where is evidence of "evolving" code and what does that mean, anyway? Evolution is a biological concept and does not have anything to do with learning. A machine can only act as it is programed (as it learns) to do.

I'm talking about genetic algorithms and genetic programming.

http://www.genetic-programming.org/

Evolution is also not just about biology. Lots of things can evolve.

Natural law in a computer is the parameters of a program, if a program is designed to change its own programming and spawn new versions of itself, and then some of those versions are better at creating new ones and changing, and the others are worse, and ones that cannot are deleted along with old ones, how is that not alike what happens in nature, where there are different species, which reproduce, and better ones reproduce better and survive and worse ones do not.

I agree pgrmdave; I think, if I'm not mistaken, we are all talking about natural selection here. I don't see why this has to be reserved for only biological systems. Natural selection is a form of equilibrium, if I can be allowed to stretch the point a bit. A balance, if you will ,that is achieved to maintain the integrity of the system. Sounds like evolution to me.

http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0134.html?printable=1

This is really long, it has some very good points. You might find this one interesting :hihi:

Brother! did you say a mouthful. I'm still trying to digest all this information, have only been able to read about half of this article, what a read. I believe this bears out what we have been speculating about. The exponential growth of computer power towards what this article calls the singularity, is absolutely going to knock our proverbial socks off. I'll have to spend a lot more time going over this information, Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

That article is speculative philosophical hogwash based on spurious unsupported assumptions.

Ray Kurzweil is highly respected in the field of A.I and hes very good at predicting technology trends and breakthroughs based on data that him and his team have researched. He has a good record for making accurate assumptions, predictions ( on the record ) and getting them right.

I was a bit harsh in my first reaction. I agree with one observation -- that technology is growing. but I don't know that exponentially is the correct term. Measurement inervals are very subjective. Ic could easily be that we are on some slope of a learning curve.

This is somewhat extreme. "The Singularity -- technological change so rapid and profound it represents a rupture in the fabric of human history. The implications include the merger of biological and nonbiological intelligence, immortal software-based humans, and ultra-high levels of intelligence that expand outward in the universe at the speed of light."

I'm a scifi fan since forever and it's a thrulll when some Arthur C. Clark's projections come true. I would consider Kurtzveil's writing to be along those lines but it would be more interesting if he would build a story around them.

That article is speculative philosophical hogwash based on spurious unsupported assumptions.

I quess sense we humans quite counting on our fingers, and started useing electronic technology we must assume that we are just imagening these historical events. I believe that interpolation of such progress is a scientfic tool, if i'm not mistaken.

This is somewhat extreme. "The Singularity -- technological change so rapid and profound it represents a rupture in the fabric of human history. The implications include the merger of biological and nonbiological intelligence, immortal software-based humans, and ultra-high levels of intelligence that expand outward in the universe at the speed of light."

I agree, the idea the technology will reach a singularity is extreme, although with the data he collects, not unwarrented. I think that instead of reaching a "singularity", we will instead reach a level where we cannot progress with exponential speed.

I agree, the idea the technology will reach a singularity is extreme, although with the data he collects, not unwarrented. I think that instead of reaching a "singularity", we will instead reach a level where we cannot progress with exponential speed.

I agree with you pgrmdave, this view gives us all some common ground upon which to build further ideas. Good point. We can reach our goals with greater success if we learn to be more flexable with our views.

The Turing test a good example of sefl-awareness judegment of :hihi: an artificial intelligence. If you can converse via only text with a machine & not have any certain indications you are not communicating with another human. Other elements of artificial intelligence don't aspire to reproduce the whole human experience, but only certain mathematical manifestations in nature. Conway's game of Life is a cellular automaton; a form of artificial intelligence. You set some initial conditions, turn the thing on, & it's on its own. (Till you pull the plug & kill it).;

Heres some VIDEOS of ray talking about this in a bit more detail and explaining in person why he thinks it will happen etc... You can watch it in parts, There are 5 of them Each 30 minutes long.

You can find ray kurzweils talk here:

http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0235.html?m%3D10

Also

You should have a little look around this website. " singularity institute For artificial Intelligence "

http://www.singinst.org/

Even tho these extreme predictions of a singularity may be far fetched, They do have data to support the prediction. Obviously we dont have a crystal ball here so we dont know tbh.

But if a Super intelligence were to emerge from A.I sometime in the future, With computer power growing exponentially if it were to reach human intelligence, it would indeed soar past us. Now it wouldnt just be smart, We wouldnt mistake if from just being a smart human like A.I ... It would probably be on another level all together. Nothing that we can understand.

I think thats the idea. I believe that Super Intelligence will happen from A.I sometime this century. Im not scientist or anything, I just read a lot of books and articles. But I just find it facanating I guess :hihi:

The Turing test a good example of sefl-awareness judegment of :hihi: an artificial intelligence. If you can converse via only text with a machine & not have any certain indications you are not communicating with another human. Other elements of artificial intelligence don't aspire to reproduce the whole human experience, but only certain mathematical manifestations in nature. Conway's game of Life is a cellular automaton; a form of artificial intelligence. You set some initial conditions, turn the thing on, & it's on its own. (Till you pull the plug & kill it).;
The Game of Life is a good example of chaos theory. It will always produce the same result given the same variables input. I don't consider that intelligent unless you consider my washing machine intelligent.

I agree Linda, Life is no more a form of artificial intelligence than any rote program, I would even say that the Turing test does not test for intelligence but rather for a convincing fake of it. Intelligence is more about applying simlar experiances to a current situation and learning from experiance than about fooling an intelligent being.