Science Forums

H C N A 05 - Who do you want to see?

IrishEyes

A real NY'er thing to do is to take the Staten Island ferry from Manhattan to Staten Island, and then come right back. Nice boat ride, good view of Statue of Liberty and downtown skyline.
How cool. I've actually done this. My last trip to the city was with my mom, in 2000. She took me and my three girls to see CATS, which was rough because one was only 4 months old... i can still hear that little jerk/theatre manager telling me that if he caught me breastfeeding, he'd kick me out. Evidently, babies are a BIG no-no on Broadway, something they neglected to mention when we purchased our tickets (and they even made us buy one for the baby, knowing how old she was!).

But we did ride that ferry and see the Lady. and spent part of the weekend looking for Godzilla in the drains, something we promised the boys we'd do. :)

The used to be a store that carried every paperback science fiction book in print. It is likely gone now.

zad, if you could find out if this place still exists, i know of at least 4 of the people that say theya re coming that would enjoy seeing this!

all sci=fi books? that is really just too cool, and i'm not even that into sci-fi!

A person who does not go out of their way to drink, but during social gatherings that do include alcohol, said person will have a couple. That would be my defintion of a social drinker.

I very rarely get tanked, and when I do there is usualy some spectacular reason for doing so. Like New Years.

I think Her confusion stems from the idea that Manitoba's the only real place people throw socials, I think they would call you a light drinker rather than social drinker.

Heay, theres an idea Killean, throw a 'send us off to NYC in style' social to raise some funds?

Also, don't worry about the booze, *I* will be 21 and I've no qualms about buying booze for us to party with back at the pad. Plus it's NYC, you really think the bouncers will notice the id?

This is a surefire way to convince becca's dad that we are purists at heart and only drink milk. :)

Liberty Science Center:

One of the best science museums I've ever been to, everything is interactive and the staff are very knowledgable and can answer almost any questions.

http://www.lsc.org

Group rates require advance reservations and must be accompanied by a 25% non-refundable deposit. Coupon discounts do not apply to group rates. All policies and prices are subject to change without notice.

Spring/Summer Hours:

March - August 2005

Open daily 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM

Expedition Pass: Exhibits + 1 IMAX + Hi-Def

Adult - $15.50

Junior (ages 2-18) - $14.00

Adventurer Pass: Exhibits + 1 IMAX

Adult - $13.00

Junior (ages 2-18) - $12.00

Voyager Pass: Exhibits + Hi-Def

Adult - $11.00

Junior (ages 2-18) - $9.50

(these are the group rates, the individual rates are a little more expensive)

American Museum of Natural History

Wonderful exhibits, with the Haydn Planetarium.

http://www.amnh.org

The Museum is open daily, 10:00 a.m.–5:45 p.m. The Rose Center remains open on Fridays until 8:45pm The Museum is closed Thankgiving and Christmas Space Show Hours — Every half-hour, Sunday–Thursday and Saturday 10:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.; Friday 10:30 a.m.–7:00 p.m.

Museum and Rose Center Suggested Admission*

Adults: $13.00

Children (2-12): $7.50

Senior/Student with ID: $10.00

Member Adult: Free

Member Child: Free

* Suggested admission for the Museum and Rose Center for Earth and Space. Admission fees help support the Museum's scientific research, exhibitions, and educational programming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Admission Packages:

1. SuperSaverAs many of the following special shows & exhibitions** as you wish for one low price:

Space Shows

• The Search for Life: Are We Alone?

• Passport to the Universe

IMAX® Films

• Jane Goodall's Wild Chimpanzees

• Vikings: Journey to New Worlds

Frogs: A Chorus of Colors

Totems to Turquoise: Native North American Jewelry Arts of the Northwest and Southwest

** Based on availability.

Adults: $32.00

Children (2-12): $21.00

Senior/Student with ID: $25.00

Adult Members: $17.50

Children Members: $12.50

2. Museum and Rose Center + Space Show Admission:

Includes the Museum's 42 exhibition halls and the new Rose Center plus the all new Hayden Planetarium Space Show

Adults: $22.00

Children (2-12): $13.00

Senior/Student with ID: $16.50

Member Adult: $11.00

Member Child: $7.00

3. Museum and Rose Center + Special Exhibition or IMAX® Admission:

Includes the Museum and the new Rose Center plus one of the following:

Special Exhibition or IMAX® Film

Adults: $19.00

Children (2-12): $11.00

Senior/Student with ID: $14.00

Member Adult: $9.50

Member Child: $5.50

Museum of Modern Art

This museum is HUGE; one could easily get lost within it's halls. There is something there for nearly everyone, from Renaissance tapestries, to impressionist paintings, to modern sculpture, to medieval weapons and armor.

Website http://www.metmuseum.org

Address & Phone

Metropolitan Museum of Art

1000 Fifth Avenue at 82nd Street

New York, NY 10028-0198

(212) 535-7710

Groups (212) 288-7733

Hours:

Friday 9:30 a.m.–9:00 p.m.

Saturday 9:30 a.m.–9:00 p.m.

Sunday 9:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m.

Monday Closed*

Tuesday 9:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m.

Wednesday 9:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m.

Thursday 9:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m.

Galleries are cleared at 5:15 p.m., Sunday–Thursday, and 8:45 p.m., Friday and Saturday

Admissions

$15 recommended for adults, $10 recommended for senior citizens, $7 recommended for students, includes Main Building and The Cloisters on the same day; free to Members and children under twelve with an adult. To help cover the cost of special exhibitions, for which there is no additional charge or special ticketing, we ask that you please pay the full suggested amount.

Guest Passes

To purchase admission in advance, the Museum offers Guest Passes to individuals or organizations for $15 each or for a discounted rate of $10 each when ten or more passes are purchased. To purchase Guest Passes by telephone, please call 212-570-3711, Monday–Friday, 9:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m. Or, order passes today by fax or mail.