Science Forums

H C N A 05 - Who do you want to see?

IrishEyes

I think they have dark, wet dreams about The Phantom of the Opera.

Funny... "THEY" included your wife, doesn't it?

dave, we're thinking about Phantom, but are open for suggestions. My husband saw it years ago, and enjoyed it. The only one I've seen is CATS, and it's not there anymore. I really don't have a preference, but am just looking forward to the trip...

Any suggestions from the NYC/NJ crowd?

The only shows I've seen lately were Wicked and Rent. Somehow I don't think Rent is really what we want (though it is amazing) and Wicked is pretty expensive...

I've always wanted to see Phantom of the Opera...

Ok, after about an hour of online research, i think we may just sneak into a show!! j/k!!

Phantom will be hard to get tickets for all of us...

Mama Mia is an option...

Movin Out also seems like we could probably get them...

Not sure of interest in anything else, but will check if anyone else has any ideas.

Also, the low-end price is between 125-150 per ticket. most are higher though, and that's not for the 'great' seats either...

In most Broadway theaters you can see even if you're in the bad seats. If you get the middle-grade seats, they're normally a lot cheaper but you still have a pretty good view. When my family went to see Rent we chose from among the four cheapest plays to go see...

How many tickets are you trying to get?

Maybe we can do the dishes afterwards. :hihi:

oh, quit your whining already!!

there are a few shows that are less, but i'd like to see something that's interesting, not just cheap! like you're just going to fly over to NYC every other weekend to catch a show, right? give us a break, and suck it up. your wife wants BRoadway (and so do i!!), and you want your wife to smile, so we are going to do Broadway and you are going to enjoy, if I have to sit next to you and punch your leg the whole darn night!!

In most Broadway theaters you can see even if you're in the bad seats. If you get the middle-grade seats, they're normally a lot cheaper but you still have a pretty good view. When my family went to see Rent we chose from among the four cheapest plays to go see...

How many tickets are you trying to get?

We'll probably need 8 or so, depending on who gets into town what night, and what night we go...

another option would be the saturday matinee...?

If you can get together enough people for a group rate, it would be a lot cheaper, but you would already know that...

The best you can really get is about $120, you can get somewhat cheaper depending on the show, but for what you would all be interested in, you couldn't get much better.

I've had a lot of success with the half-price tickets that are sold the day of the performance - if you get there early enough, it isn't too hard to get the tickets a good show, and so long as your plans are flexible, i.e. not completely set on the show you want, you will get good tickets at a cheap price.

Heres a website for it:

http://timessquare.nyctourist.com/broadway_tkts.asp

PG, thanks for that link. The only thing that concerns me is that they might not have enough tickets available for ALL of us.

Of course, if we can't make it to a Broadway show, we can substitute it for something that is comparable. As you and beccareb are both so close, I'd like to enlist your help as part of the planning committee. If you're not up for it, let me know asap. Otherwise, I'd like to start getting you guys to check on stuff for us, as you are just right down the road, so to speak...

Can one of you please check and see if you can find a list to the FREE shows/tapings that are done in the city? I know that things like the Today Show are there, as are Late Night, etc. Can you find a list?

Also, one of you find us a planetarium in the city. NYU might have one, and I am sure there are others. We'd like to see what the options are, and you are more familiar with the neighborhoods than we are, so you're in charge of that as well.

I am getting ready to make an executive decision on the hotel i think. it'll probably be one right near a bridge, but on the Jersey side... that'll make it MUCH more affordable for us. the one thing that i would like to know is how much cabs will cost us to get into the city every day. also, i'm going to find a decent subway map and try to find something with easy subway access. I can't remember... did one of you already tell me that the subway DOES or DOES NOT go to Jersey?

Can you tell that I'm kicking things into high gear now?

I'm going to need an approximate head count by January 31, and a more definitive head count by March 15. I can make all of the lodging reservations, as well as reserve a place for our lecture, but I will need to know how many will be attending.

One last thing... we have had no suggestions as to WHO you guys would like to hear speak. Is there anyone of interest that lives in the city that either of you know of, PG/becca? Now is the time for suggestions, guys. Time is getting short to ask someone to entertain us... :hihi:

information copied from http://gonyc.about.com/od/tvtapings/

The Daily Show - Jon Stewart

Call (212)-586-2477.

Request tickets for your preferred performance.

Right now, tickets are available for shows about 6 weeks or more in advance.

If you'd like to try and get last minute tickets, call the hotline at 11:30 a.m. on the Friday prior to the week you'd like to see the show.

A Comedy Central representative will let you know if there are any cancellations for the date you're interested in.

The studio is located at 513 West 54th Street, between 10th & 11th Avenues.

Doors open at 5:45 PM.

You must be 18 or over to attend.

You can leave your name & daytime phone number and someone will call you back.

Tickets are free.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conan O'Brian

If you're on the ball, all 212-664-3056 to reserve tickets in advance. (Up to 4 tickets per request).

If you're more like me, a bit of a procrastinator, there's still hope. Standby tickets are available the day of the show.

Arrive at the 49th Street entrance to 30 Rockefeller Plaza. (The 47-50 Rockefeller Center subway station is closest.)

Tickets are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis starting at 9 a.m. Arrive 45 minutes or so in advance.

Get your standby ticket and enjoy your day in the city.

Arrive back at the studio in time for the 5:30 - 6:30 p.m. taping.

Standby tickets do not guarantee admission.

No one under 16 will be admitted.

Only one ticket will be distributed to each person.

All participants must have photo ID and agree to necessary security measures.

No excess baggage or unnecessary electronic devices will be allowed in the studio.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

information from http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/show_info/ls_show_info_get_ticket_online.shtml

If you are interested in attending THE LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN, please fill out this form in its entirety.

Please note the following:

1.) We will contact as many people who have submitted requests as ticket availability will allow. We will not be able to call everyone who submits. If you

are not contacted, please consider other ticketing methods listed on this website.

2.) A ticket will only be issued to those individuals who correctly answer a random trivia question about the show. Each person answering their question

correctly will be entitled to two tickets provided that the guest¹s name is submitted on the entry form.

3.) You may be contacted at any time, from within a day of submitting your request to the day before the show, depending on when and if openings occur.

4.) Tickets are non-transferable. The only guests that will be accommodated will be the names you submit to us on the form.

5.) We require you to bring with you government-issued picture I.D. with a birth date and an address * this information must match the information

submitted with your request.

Due to the large volume of requests, each individual may only apply for tickets no more than once in any six month period. Individuals who have attended

the show are not eligible to attend for another six months from the date of attendance.

The minimum age to attend the show is 18 years old.

Please note that we receive many more requests for tickets than we are able to fulfill, and that we therefore cannot guarantee availability. We reserve the

right to deny admission at any time. Shows may cancel and schedules and/or audience requirements may alter at any time. We require all audience

members to follow our rules and regulations as a condition of attending the show. Without limiting the foregoing, we do not allow cell phones, pagers,

cameras, sound recorders or other recording devices in the theater.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bigapplegreeter.org/index.aspx?content=index

A free tour of NYC by a local, 2-4 hours