Science Forums

Art Gallery

Turtle

Most excellent! I love it!

ahhhh collaboration. :) taking the original avatar i made orby, i tweeked the hue & saturation. then following orby's example of use of mirror reprise in the image he made me, i mirror reprised a mirror reprise of the color tweeked shaman and joined them together to form a single image. that it happens to look like a turtle shell is serendipitous magic. tan mieux. :turtle:

a few words on electroplating >>

electroplating silver onto copper jewelry. Secure a vessel to hold enough water to fully immerse the object to receive the plating. Fill with water deep enough to cover object to be plated. Add some salt to the water. From a wire, suspend the copper object so it is submerged in the water & with as little as possible of the suspending wire in the water. Now suspend a piece of pure silver by a wire so that no part of the suspending wire is in the water, but only the silver. Attach the wire from the copper object to a DC low voltage source (9v volt battery will work fine) on the negative terminal, and connect the wire from the silver to the positive terminal of the battery. The silver will break down on the silver piece, move through the elctrolyte (the salty water) and then deposit on the copper. The process is slow but steady. The bubbles coming off the silver(sacrificial anode) are oxygen, the bubbles coming off the jewelry are hydrogen.

[note: if following the above instructions, you get copper plating the silver, then I reversed the leads and so should you.:D anode? cathode? :) darn that Ben Franklin and his negative positivism.:hyper:]

a few words on electroplating >>

electroplating silver onto copper jewelry. Secure a vessel to hold enough water to fully immerse the object to receive the plating. Fill with water deep enough to cover object to be plated. Add some salt to the water. From a wire, suspend the copper object so it is submerged in the water & with as little as possible of the suspending wire in the water. Now suspend a piece of pure silver by a wire so that no part of the suspending wire is in the water, but only the silver. Attach the wire from the copper object to a DC low voltage source (9v volt battery will work fine) on the negative terminal, and connect the wire from the silver to the positive terminal of the battery. The silver will break down on the silver piece, move through the elctrolyte (the salty water) and then deposit on the copper. The process is slow but steady. The bubbles coming off the silver(sacrificial anode) are oxygen, the bubbles coming off the jewelry are hydrogen.

[note: if following the above instructions, you get copper plating the silver, then I reversed the leads and so should you.:help: anode? cathode? :shrug: darn that Ben Franklin and his negative positivism.:doh:]

Cool! Thanks for the info Turtl.

I plan on trying this out when I can find some pure silver.

Cool! Thanks for the info Turtl.

I plan on trying this out when I can find some pure silver.

You might try an art store or maybe a rock-shop; someone that sells jewelers supplies. Then buy some silver wire or a small piece of silver plate. I think you would get good results with one of those 1 ounce bars they sell for investment too. 99.999% pure :confused:

speaking of silver plate, it's time to change my avatar again. this one is one of Escher's designs from the print Belvbedere that I cut from silver plate; it's a little over an inch across.

[Also, if you use silver on both electrodes and ramp up the voltage (use 3, 9volt batteries in series for 27volts) you can make your own colloidal silver for antibiotic use.]

hey Orby! don't get mad, but i dropped the avatar you made for me in in violet violet mirror mirror paint paint. :eek: :winknudge: :confused:

:doh: this area splashed over into public with the new upgrade. ;) sorry folks...nothing to see here...please stay to your left leaf. :turtle:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...