Science Forums

Earthquakes

Tormod

No one saw this one coming. :eek: A 6.6 this morning off the NE coast of Brazil. :doh: :)

>> Magnitude 6.6 - CENTRAL MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE

Map: South America Region

While looking at the map(s), I stumbled on the 'Polar view' option. I never paid much attention, but it's an interesting perspective. There is a S & N polar view option. :)

North Polar quake map view: Hemisphere Map Centered at 90°N,90°W

South Polar quake map view: Hemisphere Map Centered at 90°S,90°W

None of the recent large quakes have made any mainstream news that I have seen. I hadn't even got around to the large quakes in Chile & Iran yet. Let's see if the 6.9 they just had in Japan gets anyone's attention. :evil:

Magnitude 6.9 - HOKKAIDO, JAPAN REGION

Holy crap! More large quakes while I was typing this! Here's the map; duck & cover. >>Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days

Two major quakes today at Vanuatu, an archipelago chain of volcanoes of submarine origin. I can find no reports yet of volcanic activity, but the more recent still-submarine eruptions were spotted by air. So for the time being, it's major quakes to report. :)

Magnitude 7.0 - VANUATU

Magnitude 6.2 - VANUATU

The general trend lately seems toward fewer quakes, but larger quakes. We'll get to the bottom of this sooner or later. :evil: :evil:

map: Australia Region

Stop the presses! Just had a 5.4 over in Sumatra......Magnitude 5.4 - SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA

:) :hihi:

Oh no, not Vanuatu! It's the home of the worlds only freshwater hermit crab!

Oh no, not Vanuatu! It's the home of the worlds only freshwater hermit crab!

It may have a better chance then, having evolved with the environment. All these islands are submarine volcanoes. Another good shaker* there a couple hours ago, and just when I was coming here to commnet on how quiescent the US section of the ring of fire was, I see that Oregon offshore spot is at it again.

Magnitude 4.5 - OFF THE COAST OF WASHINGTON

*Magnitude 4.8 - FIJI REGION

Can't type fast enough it seems. -_- :eek: A 6.5 in Indonesia now. >> Magnitude 6.5 - HALMAHERA, INDONESIA

OMG! Checked the map before hitting enter and a 5.1 within the hour in Japan again. >> Magnitude 5.1 - HOKKAIDO, JAPAN REGION

I gotta go check some sources........ :clue: :hihi: :turtle:

Maybe i should apply for one of those liberal government grants and go to Vanuatu and save the hermit crabs? No sense in wasting all that free money being handed out! Are the islands in real danger or is this a routine event on these islands?

On a long geologic time-scale, yes routine. On a short scale, we just don't know yet. Sign me aboard Cap'n. -_-

I mentioned a few posts back the 'man who predicts earthquakes', and I checked his site in light of the recent 'unusual' activity. He's got nothing predicted for the last 4 days; more correctly, he predicted no activity. So I went for a look see at the Moon phase, and it was at apogee on September 7th, i.e. the farthest from Earth it gets in its orbit. This would mean less tidal pulling by JOB's modeling. Interesting though that another feature of the Moons cycle was at an extreme too, as on September 8th the Moon reached its furthest point South in its inclined orbit.

Ohhhh... reading more, at opposition to the Moon on the 13th is Uranus, while within a few seconds of the Moon over the last & cooming week we have Neptune, & Jupiter. The Moon will hit perigee on the 20th Sept, following a Full Moon on the 15th.

The shakin' aint over 'til the fat lady sings. :hihi: Sorry Mother Nature, but that dress does make you look fat. :clue: :turtle:

2008 Astronomical Events

On a long geologic time-scale, yes routine. On a short scale, we just don't know yet. Sign me aboard Cap'n. -_-

I mentioned a few posts back the 'man who predicts earthquakes', and I checked his site in light of the recent 'unusual' activity. He's got nothing predicted for the last 4 days; more correctly, he predicted no activity. So I went for a look see at the Moon phase, and it was at apogee on September 7th, i.e. the farthest from Earth it gets in its orbit. This would mean less tidal pulling by JOB's modeling. Interesting though that another feature of the Moons cycle was at an extreme too, as on September 8th the Moon reached its furthest point South in its inclined orbit.

Ohhhh... reading more, at opposition to the Moon on the 13th is Uranus, while within a few seconds of the Moon over the last & cooming week we have Neptune, & Jupiter. The Moon will hit perigee on the 20th Sept, following a Full Moon on the 15th.

The shakin' aint over 'til the fat lady sings. :turtle: Sorry Mother Nature, but that dress does make you look fat. :eek: :clue:

2008 Astronomical Events

Hey! What does myanus have to do with the moon:hihi::hihi: Seriously have you found a connection between the moon and earth quakes?

Hey! What does myanus have to do with the moon:hihi:-_-

:clue: I could tell ya, butt then I'd have ta...well...you know. :turtle:

Seriously have you found a connection between the moon and earth quakes?

Yes actually. Well, more that I have found a guy who has found a connection between the Moon & earthquakes. His name is Jim Berkland, and I have heard him quite a few times on the latenight AM radio program , Coast to Coast AM. I also visit his page from time to time, and it is there I refered to prediction of no activity. Here is a bio on him at his page. :eek: :hihi:

Bio: SyzygyJob - Who is Geologist Jim Berkland?

:turtle: I could tell ya, butt then I'd have ta...well...you know. :hihi:

Yes actually. Well, more that I have found a guy who has found a connection between the Moon & earthquakes. His name is Jim Berkland, and I have heard him quite a few times on the latenight AM radio program , Coast to Coast AM. I also visit his page from time to time, and it is there I refered to prediction of no activity. Here is a bio on him at his page. :clue: -_-

Bio: SyzygyJob - Who is Geologist Jim Berkland?

I have often wondered, since I read about the moon raising up the earths crust as well as the ocean when i was a kid, if the tides could trigger earth quakes. I have also read that hurricanes can trigger earth quakes.

I have often wondered, since I read about the moon raising up the earths crust as well as the ocean when i was a kid, if the tides could trigger earth quakes. I have also read that hurricanes can trigger earth quakes.

Do you have any references handy on the hurricane connection before I get lost in the jungle? :( I wanted to mention that besides the Moon connection to earthquakes, Jim Berkland tracks missing pet adverts in newspapers as a predictive tool. According to Jim, there is a normal background number of missing pet ads, but it increases by a statistically significant amount weeks or days prior to a quake. I don't take a paper regularly, so I don't know how that flies in my locale.

That's all I got. Todays quake map looks relatively quiet. :D :cheer: >> Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days

Do you have any references handy on the hurricane connection before I get lost in the jungle? :doh: I wanted to mention that besides the Moon connection to earthquakes, Jim Berkland tracks missing pet adverts in newspapers as a predictive tool. According to Jim, there is a normal background number of missing pet ads, but it increases by a statistically significant amount weeks or days prior to a quake. I don't take a paper regularly, so I don't know how that flies in my locale.

That's all I got. Todays quake map looks relatively quiet. :clue: :turtle: >> Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days

I read it in a science magazine a few years ago, it has to do with the low pressure area under hurricane. As the hurricane comes on shore the land actually rises up a few inches under the eye the same way the ocean rises up many feet under the eye. I googled it several different ways but no luck. sorry.

More large quakes in widespread areas, from Indonesia to Russia and the grapevine is mum. Hell, the whole orchard is mum. :clue: Good thing you got that emergency kit Moon Tan Man, because if L Palma lets go, you got about an hour to get 60 miles inland to escape the tsunami. :turtle: Fortunately, turtles can swim. :doh:

Magnitude 6.0 - KOMANDORSKIYE OSTROVA, RUSSIA REGION

Magnitude 5.1 - KOMANDORSKIYE OSTROVA, RUSSIA REGION

Magnitude 5.7 - SERAM, INDONESIA

Magnitude 5.8 - SOUTHEAST OF THE LOYALTY ISLANDS

More large quakes in widespread areas, from Indonesia to Russia and the grapevine is mum. Hell, the whole orchard is mum. :clue: Good thing you got that emergency kit Moon Tan Man, because if L Palma lets go, you got about an hour to get 60 miles inland to escape the tsunami. :turtle: Fortunately, turtles can swim. :doh:

Magnitude 6.0 - KOMANDORSKIYE OSTROVA, RUSSIA REGION

Magnitude 5.1 - KOMANDORSKIYE OSTROVA, RUSSIA REGION

Magnitude 5.7 - SERAM, INDONESIA

Magnitude 5.8 - SOUTHEAST OF THE LOYALTY ISLANDS

I'm ready to go on a moments notice!

• 2 months later...
I'm ready to go on a moments notice!

That's all you may get. :) Got a heads up today from secret inside contact Lex on these stories: :) :)

Arkansas Earthquakes Could Portend Something Big | LiveScience

[quote name=Associated Press:posted: 28 November 2008 09:52 am ET

]LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) _ A series of small earthquakes that rattled central Arkansas in recent weeks could be a sign of something much bigger to come.

By this weekend, seismologists hope to install three measurement devices to gather data about future temblors in the area. That information could show whether the rumbles come from heat-related geological changes or from an undiscovered fault — which could mean a risk of substantial earthquakes in the future.

"The potential for generating a high-magnitude earthquake is real," said Haydar Al-Shukri, director of the Arkansas Earthquake Center at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Similar Warning Issued Earlier This Year*

"It is abnormal. It is significant," he said. "We need to carefully watch this activity."

* Scientists: Even Bigger Quake Could Hit Midwest | LiveScience

[quote name=Robin Lloyd:posted: 18 April 2008 ET

]The magnitude 5.2 earthquake that rocked the Midwest on Friday was felt from Kansas to Georgia, and aftershocks could continue for months at this strange seismic zone at the nation's center and even trigger another big quake, a geophysicist said.

The quake occurred on a northern extension of the New Madrid fault, about 6 miles north of Mt. Carmel, Ill. The New Madrid fault was responsible for devastating quakes in the Mississippi Valley in 1811 and 1812. So the Friday quake and its aftershocks likely are raising the blood pressure of some residents and scientists.

For decades, scientists have debated whether and when the underlying fault could generate another temblor of similar and deadly strength. ...

• 1 month later...

Is Yellowstone super-volcano gonna blow!! :turtle: :clue: :turtle: At any rate, some shakin' is goin' on that's worth watching. :read:

Earthquakes at Yellowstone Supervolcano: Update - Capital Commerce (usnews.com)

Yellowstone Lake Earthquake Swarm Update: 2 January 2008

The University of Utah Seismograph Stations reports that as of 1800 MST on 2 January 2009, seismicity of the ongoing Yellowstone earthquake swarm continues. Over 500 earthquakes, as large as M 3.9, have been recorded by an automated earthquake system since the inception of this unusual earthquake sequence that began Dec. 27, 2008. More than 300 of these events have been reviewed and evaluated by seismic analysts. Depths of the earthquakes range from ~ 1km to around 10 km. We note that the earthquakes extend northward from central Yellowstone Lake for ~10 km toward the Fishing Bridge area, with a migration of recent earthquakes toward the north. Some of the dozen M3+ earthquakes were felt in the Lake, Grant Village and Old Faithful areas. Personnel of the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory continue to evaluate this earthquake sequence and will provide information to the NPS, USGS and the public as it evolves.

How will we know if we should start worrying? The real warning signs will be rapid changes in the shape of the ground as well as volcanic gases leaking from the ground, neither of which have been sighted—yet.

"Eruptions are far enough apart that there is a very low probability of the next eruption happening in our lifetimes or anytime soon," Daniel Dzurisin of the USGS told me in 2006. "The flipside is: [Yellowstone] has been active for millions of years and it's going to erupt again sometime." ...