Science Forums

Earthquakes

Tormod

Here's some new research that may help with the lack of predictive ability: :shrug:>>

...Until 1992, when California’s magnitude-7.3 Landers earthquake set off small jolts as far away as Yellowstone National Park, scientists did not believe large earthquakes sparked smaller tremors at distant locations. Now, a definitive study shows large earthquakes routinely trigger smaller jolts worldwide, including on the opposite side of the planet and in areas not prone to quakes.

How do the surface waves trigger small earthquakes at distant locations?

“The physical mechanism is not known,” says Pankow. “It has been proposed that the passage of the waves may change the water flow in a fault, possibly increasing the number of conduits that water can flow through which could cause the fault to slip.”

Other theories are that surface waves may increase the strain on a fault, or loosen a fault so that it prematurely breaks or slides, she adds. ...

Big quakes spark jolts worldwide

While I have noticed over the last week or so that the total number of quakes is down (as taken from the maps I refer to frequently, & in sync with the Moon), the number of large quakes is up. Within the past few hours, a 6.2 in Iceland:

Earthquake hits Iceland

An earthquake measuring approximately 6.1 (reports vary, some saying up to 6.7) on the Richter scale struck southwestern Iceland at 3.45 pm on Thursday. Morgunbladid (and others) report. The epi-center of the quake was southwest of Selfoss and was felt as far away as Ísafjordur in the West Fjords. ...

IcelandReview - Online

USGS Record: >> Magnitude 6.2 - ICELAND REGION

For my own speculative prediction, I suggest this may herald some new underwater volcanism such as this newly discovered mount just ~75 miles from the epicenter. >> Giant Underwater Volcano Discovered in Iceland >> Four Winds 10 - fourwinds10.com

On we go then :eek::............:doh:

Some activity at Mt. Adams today. A microquake and some more of those curious traces I earlier posted on. ;)

PNSN Webicorder Display

PS Checking back to those earlier posts, I see the seismogram trace pages aren't archived and have expired. ;) I grabbed a screen shot of today's trace, as well as one with the unusual pattern on Adams yesterday, & attached below. I will not be undersold! :confused: :)

13,000 mph quakes!! :) More new work making a cause/effect connection between primary quakes and quakes at a distance and/or at dormant faults. :) ;)

New study sheds light on mysterious 'supershear' quakes

... They found that supershears inflicted aftershocks in unexpected regions.

Compared with conventional, slower quakes, whose aftershocks are centred around the fault line, supershears unleashed aftershocks on nearby secondary faults and previously-dormant faults that had been awakened by stress from the rocketing pulse.

Being able to predict where aftershocks are likely to occur in a supershear-vulnerable zone could help save lives, although Bouchon, in remarks to AFP, commented "we need a lot more observations of large quakes to be sure" of where such spots could be. ...

New study sheds light on mysterious 'supershear' quakes

• 1 month later...
Rumble, rumble.

Los Angeles got a nice little shake today (Google Earth KML link after the jump). We weren't anywhere near close enough to feel it, but we have all the LA stations here so it was an interesting vacation day glued to the tube....

I used to sleep nude - until the earthquake, :phones:

Buffy

Ditto tube glue here. I go the extra step of tuning into radio because it's the only place to listen live to Jim Berkland, the man who predicts earthquakes. He was the official geologist down there in your neck of the woods, but when he publically predicted the World Series quake, they fired him. He remains the only person I know of who regularly publishes his predictions and scores his results. Here's his August prediction:

PREDICTIONS FOR AUGUST

The Seismic Window of August 11-18, 2007 is based on the New Moon of August 12, the routine

perigee (229,426 mi.) on August 4th and the maximum 7.4 ft. tides at the Golden Gate on August 11th.

Considering these factors I am predicting, with 75% confidence, that there will be one or more earthquakes

With the following parameters:

(1) Within 140 miles (2-degrees) of Mt. Diablo (37.9N; 121.9W) a 3.5-6.5M earthquake.

(2) Within 140 miles of Los Angeles (34.0N; 118.0N) a 3.5-6.5M earthquake.

(3) With an epicentral address of Washngton or Oregon, a 3.5-6.5M earthquake.

(4) Globally, a major (7+M) earthquake. Especially within the Pacific Ring of Fire, where 80%

of the world’s stronger earthquakes occur. This year only four have met this magnitude level. ...

Here's his main page: >> SyzygyJob - Home

Do you take a local paper Buffy? One of Jim's techniques for pinpointing the location of a quake prediction is tracking lost pet adverts. The number of lost pets a week or few days before a local quake rises significantly above the average. Might be interesting if you had a look. :clue:

In my neck of the woods, we continue to have quakes off the Oregon coast and I haven't heard any info on the expedition out there to check for underwater volcanism. :shrug: I noticed Jim mentioned it in one of his reports. :confused:

That's all I got. :turtle:

Things are picking up! :goodbad: Quakes offshore of N. California now, and a couple 5+ down in Mexico & El Salvador. I think it's just starting. :oh_really: :alien_dance:

USGS Earthquake Hazards Program-Northern California

Magnitude 4.2 - OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

Magnitude 5.3 - OAXACA, MEXICO

Magnitude 5.1 - OFFSHORE EL SALVADOR

Gonna be a long full Moon. :lightsaber2: Anyone's pets going crazy or upticks in missing pets? Seen any earthquake clouds or lights? :slingshot:

A new study by USGS scientists shows that the San Andreas fault is longer than originally believed.

Using satellite imagery and physical searches of the land, Lynch and study co-author Ken Hudnut, also of the USGS, identified a cluster of 33 boiling mud features, which, when plotted, formed a clear line extending 18 miles (about 30 kilometers) southeastward from the previously accepted endpoint of the San Andreas Fault.

The scientists say the usual fault line indicators are not visible near the Salton Sea because the San Andreas Fault has not been active in the area for quite some time.

Without regular activity disturbing the ground and creating surface markings, agriculture and erosion have effectively erased it from the landscape, they said.

The study appears in the August issue of the Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America.

Deadly San Andreas Fault Longer Than Thought

• 3 weeks later...

On waking & checking the nights quakes, I find we have quite the shock/aftershock series going on off the Oregon coast. The largest looks to be a 5.8: >>Magnitude 5.8 - VANCOUVER ISLAND, CANADA REGION

So many crowded on the site I can't count 'em all. :singer:

Map Centered at 50°N, 129°W

No special notice yet on the main page: they still have the 5.4 near LA as the latest 'big' quake. Maybe they don't count offshore US? >> USGS Earthquake Hazards Program-Northern California

Off to check some seismograms...........:singer:

Maybe they don't count offshore US?

I think so, unless it causes a tsunami!

Who cares if a few fish get shaken up? Is anything gonna fall on them? :singer:

Very little is known of the Canadian country since it is rarely visited by anyone but the Queen and illiterate sport fishermen, :singer:

Buffy

I think so, unless it causes a tsunami!

Who cares if a few fish get shaken up? Is anything gonna fall on them? :singer:

Very little is known of the Canadian country since it is rarely visited by anyone but the Queen and illiterate sport fishermen, :singer:

Buffy

:evil: My bad! :doh: Sorry Canookians for laying claim to your heaving. Here's the map of the quakes really off Oregon coast: >> Map Centered at 43°N, 127°W

Magnitude 4.1 - OFF THE COAST OF OREGON

Magnitude 4.5 - OFF THE COAST OF OREGON

Who cares? :eek: :bow: Might say the same when Lewitt blew; who cares if a few birds get shaken up? Of course I'm suggesting submarine volcanism* and all indications are that few care, and the rare visits by those who do care are expensive & not well funded. :doh: We better keep a weather eye on it though. :clue: :cheer:

PS Gotta watch Noon news for reports. * submarine volcanism

...Of course I'm suggesting submarine volcanism* and all indications are that few care, and the rare visits by those who do care are expensive & not well funded. :cheer:

Oh, well, I'd care if I'd invested in that soon-to-no-longer-be-beach-front-property in Coos Bay! :)

I don't know why they don't care, but it mostly has to do with spending on anything that is not a clear and present danger is considered a waste of money ("those are *my* tax dollars! If you don't spend them on me, right now, I want 'em back!")....

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest, :phones:

Buffy

Oh, well, I'd care if I'd invested in that soon-to-no-longer-be-beach-front-property in Coos Bay! :)

I don't know why they don't care, but it mostly has to do with spending on anything that is not a clear and present danger is considered a waste of money ("those are *my* tax dollars! If you don't spend them on me, right now, I want 'em back!")....

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest, :singer:

Buffy

Even the hopeful news is depressing. :(

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/science/26alvi.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

The United States used to have several submersibles — tiny submarines that dive extraordinarily deep. Alvin is the only one left, and after more than four decades of probing the sea’s depths it is to be retired. Its replacement, costing some $50 million, is to go deeper, move faster, stay down longer, cut the dark better, carry more scientific gear and maybe — just maybe — open a new era of exploration.

How soon? The original schedule of 2004 foresaw the replacement vehicle as ready in 2008. Early this year, amid growing uncertainty, the keepers of the schedule put the date at 2010. Now, the soonest the upgraded Alvin might hit the water is estimated to be 2011. And the full replacement, according to Woods Hole officials, might not materialize until 2015.

“Phase 2 is about finding additional resources,” Dr. Detrick said. “It’s a matter of money.”

Officials talk about a $25 million shortfall and hopes that a private donor might materialize who could close the gap and ensure the speedy debut of the new submersible and its program of deep inquiry.

For explorers like Dr. Van Dover, that day cannot arrive soon enough. “We can apply 40 years of experience and build it right,” she said. “That’s the beauty.”

25 million? What is that, like 15 minutes worth of what we're spending in Iraq? :singer: Don't tell anyone something's beautiful or they'll just kill it. :turtle:

They just need to market it as an 'oil explorer' and they'll be flooded with money. :turtle:

Better return if it's marketed as a weapon, if I may play devil's advocate. :naughty:

Anyway, the offshore quakes here in the great Pacific Northwest have tapered off. >> Latest Earthquakes in the USA - Last 7 days

I did notice however a couple ~2's up at St. Helens this morning. I think the eruption was declared over last Spring, but that doesn't mean no quakes.

>> Magnitude 2.0 - MOUNT ST. HELENS AREA, WASHINGTON

>> Magnitude 2.2 - MOUNT ST. HELENS AREA, WASHINGTON

USGS has a new piece out on the quake swarm off British Columbia's coast that I have been following: >> .................:banghead:................. Magnitude 5.9 - VANCOUVER ISLAND, CANADA REGION

Tectonic Summary

The sequence of earthquakes that has been occurring off the coast of British Columbia since August 25 2007, represents a seismic phenomenon known as a seismic "swarm"-- an episode of high earthquake activity in which the largest earthquake does not occur at the beginning of the episode and in which the largest earthquake is not substantially larger than other earthquakes of the episode. The swarm includes more than 100 earthquakes, over 25 of which have magnitudes of 4 or larger. ...

Two major quakes today at Vanuatu, an archipelago chain of volcanoes of submarine origin. I can find no reports yet of volcanic activity, but the more recent still-submarine eruptions were spotted by air. So for the time being, it's major quakes to report. :(

Magnitude 7.0 - VANUATU

Magnitude 6.2 - VANUATU

The general trend lately seems toward fewer quakes, but larger quakes. We'll get to the bottom of this sooner or later. :turtle: :hihi:

map: Australia Region

Stop the presses! Just had a 5.4 over in Sumatra......Magnitude 5.4 - SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA

:eek: ;)