Science Forums

Earthquakes

Tormod

Great Quake!!!!! News is slow coming in (well, OK, I'm just slow getting up:hihi: ) but in any case, an 8.1 to 8.3 has struck off the East coast of Russia.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/

More specs to come. Aftershocks continuing.

Addendum:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/eqinthenews/2006/usvcam/

Latest aftershock 6.2 !!!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/usvccv.php

Off to check news feeds for any reports of damage.:shrug: :hihi:

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I thought I was feeling like crud from crawling out on my roof to video tape a steam eruption from St. Helens yesterday, but I just dropped by the USGS site and I see there is some very unusual activity here in the Northwestern US. In over 2 years of visiting the site daily I've never seen anything like it. :eek:

Map of quakes:

USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Map Centered at 47°N, 120°W

Seismogram from Mt. Adams:

PNSN Webicorder Display

I gotta get back in bed with my heating pad, but I'll try and update if we have anything more dramatic. :weather_snowing: :)

I'm not sure if I put this site up before or not, but as the subject of this thread is the prediction of earthquakes, it is apropos. The project is called DEMETER, (Detection of Electro-Magnetic Emissions Transmitted from Earthquake Regions) and according to the site it "is the first project in the CNES MYRIADE microsatellite series." Enjoy :) ; I'm headin' back to my nest. :weather_snowing:

DEMETER

• 3 months later...
Get your prognosticating hats out & get in line for the money train! :hihi: :thumbs_up

USGS to Offer $7 Million in Earthquake Research Grants: Online-Only Applications Due May 16, 2007

USGS Release: USGS to Offer $7 Million in Earthquake Research Grants: Online-Only Applications Due May 16, 2007 (3/8/2007 7:12:25 AM)

Anybody see this quake coming!? What would it have been worth to predict it?

NEWS - Comcast.net

• 1 month later...

I have been remiss in entering my data after I received so much aid in graphing the changing numbers of earthquakes on the USGS maps. >>

http://hypography.com/forums/watercooler/10998-have-rep-will-trade-graph-construction-2.html?highlight=have+rep+will+trade

Nonetheless, it is worth noting that just now the number of quakes on the US set of maps is at the highest value I have yet seen. (previous high in my records is 811 on Oct 21 '06)

Tue May 1 21:27:03 UTC 2007

861 earthquakes on these maps

USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Latest Earthquakes in the USA - Past 7 days

Of casual interest to me also is that the Sun is at solar minimum and the Moon is full. If your pets or other wildlife are ill at ease or have run off, or have been exhibiting unusual behaviors, you may be in for a sizeable quake in your area. :D

• 2 months later...

Seems the one reliable predictor of quakes is the Moon phases. ;) We now have a real swarm off the Oregon coast, as opposed to a shock/aftershock series*. These are right on the plate boundary of Juan de Fuca & North American plate. This is the subduction zone that has, and will someday again, produced mega tsunami like we saw in Indonesia recently.

yesterday, 2, 4.7 quakes

>>USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Magnitude 4.7 - OFF THE COAST OF OREGON

>>USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Magnitude 4.7 - OFF THE COAST OF OREGON

just now, a 5.1 and a 4.6 quake

>>USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Magnitude 5.1 - OFF THE COAST OF OREGON

>>USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Magnitude 4.6 - OFF THE COAST OF OREGON

US map of quakes USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Latest Earthquakes in the USA - Past 7 days

* in a shock/aftershock scenario, the quakes get progressively smaller.

• 4 months later...
What's distinctive about it Mr. T?

Look's like a moderate foreshock, then a bunch of little fore/aftershocks around the big one at 12:35... :phones:

We got chicken in the barn, :hihi:

Buffy

There appears to be a secondary harmonic in the stronger singals on about 3 second cycles. I outlined in yellow boxes a couple examples from the seismogram and have attached it below. I suspect this is not earthquakes; more likely wind or maybe mud or snow slides? :shrug: Shall we wake up Pahtoe? :eek: :evil: :hyper: :turtle:

Here's something new in the effort to predict earthquakes. Have you read this Frank? :phones:

Evidence Mounts for Electromagnetic Earthquake Precursors

Evidence Mounts for Electromagnetic Earthquake Precursors

By Keay Davidson 12.14.07 | 6:00 PM

SAN FRANCISCO –- Scientists revealed data Thursday that an electromagnetic alarm might have preceded a 2007 earthquake in Northern California. The evidence could offer support to a controversial theory that mysterious and little-understood signals might offer fair warning for imminent catastrophic earthquakes.

Scientists detected the signal Oct. 30 near Milpitas, California, 19 hours before a medium-size quake -- with its epicenter in the Alum Rock neighborhood of San Jose -- shook the region, scientists told Wired News Thursday.

"Alum Rock saw a signal that didn't happen at any other site: It was a series of electromagnetic pulses that were drawn out over eight minutes," said Tom Bleier, a researcher with QuakeFinder, a Palo Alto firm. He cautioned, however, that further study is needed to determine if the electromagnetic signal has "some other cause" besides the quake. ...

More harmonic quakes up on Mt. Adams today; this time of varying frequency. Attached below is a screenshot and I have marked a harmonic signature off in a yellow box. Using the blue line, I count 11 cycles per minute, or ~.18 Hz.

Of course there is always the possibility this is an anomaly induced by the equipment, but no less interesting an observation. :) :bow:

PNSN Webicorder Display

More harmonic quakes up on Mt. Adams today; this time of varying frequency.

Here's some refernce material to help put into perspective what quakes and waking this volcano mean. At least by one accord, Pahto is overdue to shake rattle & roll. As luck has it, I am more or less the same distance from Pahto, as from Y'East, as from Loowit. Talk about a trivium! :): :)

CVO Website - Mount Adams Volcano, Washington

Mount Adams stands astride the Cascade Crest some 50 kilometers due east of Mount St. Helens. The towering stratovolcano (3,742 meters - 12,276 feet) is marked by a dozen glaciers, most of which are fed radially from its summit icecap. In the High Cascades, Mount Adams is second in eruptive volume only to Mount Shasta, and it far surpasses its loftier neighbor Mount Rainier (which is perched on a pedestal of Miocene granodiorite). Adams's main cone exceeds 200 cubic kilometers, and at least half as much more was eroded during late Pleistocene time form earlier high-standing components of the compound edifice: peripheral basalt adds another 70 cubic kilometers or so.

From: Wood and Kienle, (eds.), 1990, Volcanoes of North America - United States and Canada: Cambridge University Press, p.166-167, Contribution by Paul Hammond

The Indian Heaven volcanic field is midway between Mount St. Helens and Mount Adams; its principal feature is a 30 kilometer long N10o E-trending linear zone of coalescing, polygenetic shield volcanoes, cinder cones, and flows with a volume of 100 cubic kilometers. The shield volcanoes, which form the backbone of the volcanic field, are from north to south: ...

Basalt to mafic andesite lava flows range from 0.4 to 24 meters in thickness, whereas andesite flows are up to 90 meters thick. Individual flows extend up to 46 kilometers in length, have areas to 116 square kilometers, and volumes to 1.2 cubic kilomters. Most flow less than 150 thousand years old contain extensive lava tubes, making the Indian Heaven Volcanic Field an important speleological area.

Lava flow units are separated stratigraphically into two main groups. The older group has been extensively eroded during the Hayden Creek Glaciation, around 250 to 150 thousand years ago. A younger group ranges in age between Hayden Creek Glaciation and Evans Creek Glaciation (around 25 to 15 thousand years ago). The youngest unit is Big Lava Bed, dated by radiocarbon at 8,150 years BP (uncorrected). The oldest lavas are believed to be greater than 0.73 million years due to their relative freshness and normal magnetic polarity. If the entire field formed since 0.73 million years the average eruption rate would be 375 cubic meters per day. If the last eruption was Big Lava Bed (volume 0.88 cubic kilometers) the field is overdue for another eruption.