Science Forums

Earthquakes

Tormod

everyone is too close bro. :lightning :eek2:

With some things, the closer the *better*!

I spend a chunk of the year sitting on top of the Long Valley Caldera, and I'm much happier there than home which sits right next to the Hayward Fault...When LV blows, well, it will all go quickly!

Every Hottentot and every Eskimo, :phones:

Buffy

With some things, the closer the *better*!

I spend a chunk of the year sitting on top of the Long Valley Caldera, and I'm much happier there than home which sits right next to the Hayward Fault...When LV blows, well, it will all go quickly!

Every Hottentot and every Eskimo, :phones:

Buffy

I remembered that you started a thread on supervolcanos, but checking it I found that we never got around to discussing Yellowstone. What the..!!??:phones: :eek2: Here we go thens: :lightning Supervolcanos!

• 2 weeks later...
Oh goody! :)

Suppose the Macedo trench splits open under the ocean? A crack a thousand miles long, bringing superheated magma in contact with the ocean... Earthquakes, tidal waves, mass destruction on an apocalyptic scale! :hyper:

Buffy

:doh: Only now checking that trench...oh dear.:doh: Well, something big just cracked for reals less than an hour ago. ;)

Preliminary Report: Magnitude 7.3 - EAST OF THE KURIL ISLANDS

Map: Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days

PS forgot to mention the 2.1 quake this morning, 50 miles from me at Mt. St. Helens: >> http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/uw01141622.php

• 2 months later...

Lot's of earthquake activity of late. Right now it is Alaska going to town, earlier in the week a swarm in California and the week before a great-quake and shock aftershock series near Tonga.

Map Centered at 55°N, 160°W

SCSN - The Southern California Seismic Network

Since we as yet cannot predict quakes, it only makes sense to have an earthquake emergency kit & plan.

Quake: Earthquake Hazards

• 9 months later...
Oh goody! :cheer:

Suppose the Macedo trench splits open under the ocean? A crack a thousand miles long, bringing superheated magma in contact with the ocean... Earthquakes, tidal waves, mass destruction on an apocalyptic scale! :)

Buffy

"macedo trench"!!??? :tree: i don't know about "cracked open", but somethin' popped tonight. ever since st. helens went back to sleep, i've been missing my earthquakes. :cry: maybe some new offshore eruptions!!? :happybirthday: :D

Earthquake Strikes Off the Coast of Northern California - NYTimes.com

January 9, 2010

FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — A 6.5-magnitude earthquake struck Saturday off the coast of Northern California, shaking buildings south of the Oregon border and knocking out power in several coastal communities.

The United States Geological Survey said the quake hit around 4:27 p.m. about 27 miles from Eureka, a city of about 26,000. ...

not only that, but things are still shaking; a regular shock/aftershock sequence.:bounce: even just had a 3.1 in south-central cally. :eek:

off-shore:

Magnitude 6.5 - OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

Magnitude 4.5 - OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

Magnitude 4.2 - OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

inland:

Magnitude 3.1 - CENTRAL CALIFORNIA

map:

Map Centered at 37°N, 120°W

we started the op with the question of earthquake prediction so back to the touchstone. after the off-shore callifornia series last post, i would have (did in my head. :kuku:) predicted some off-shore activity up my way along the oregon or washington coast. i would have been (was) wrong. but only in so much as location & size. :doh: still, it's only recently the idea that a quake or quake series in one spot can trigger another, and what we have here even i'm not suggesting is such a case as it is so far removed. no one saw this one coming. :lol:

[quote name=JONATHAN M. KATZ, AP

]PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — The largest earthquake ever recorded in the area rocked Haiti on Tuesday, collapsing a hospital where people screamed for help and damaging other buildings. An aid official described "total disaster and chaos."

Communications were widely disrupted, making it impossible to get a clear picture of damage as powerful aftershocks shook a desperately poor country where many buildings are flimsy. Electricity was out in some places. ...

Many casualties expected after big quake in Haiti | General News | Comcast.net

tsunami warnings are now cancelled, but aftershocks continue as i type. :eek2:

main quake: Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

most recent aftershock: Magnitude 5.4 - HAITI REGION

usgs map: 10-degree Map Centered at 15°N,70°W

seismogram from station ~40 miles from me in washington state: PNSN Webicorder Display

The video and pics coming in from Haiti are horrific.

It's quite a reminder of what life is like in a conservative "all government is evil and useless" Nirvana where there are no government building codes and no emergency services.

Gosh I really want to live in a country like that....

Also a reminder to check and rotate the supplies in your earthquake kits if you live in shakeyland, and consider contributing to the Red Cross or other (legitimate!) relief agencies who'll be responding (some of whom have people who are apparently trapped in the rubble because of those wonderfully unsupervised building contractors...).

Real charity doesn't care if it's tax-deductible or not, :beer:

Buffy

It's quite a reminder of what life is like in a conservative "all government is evil and useless" Nirvana where there are no government building codes and no emergency services.

indeed. while you cally folks are more "on-top-of" earthquake preparedness, much of the nation is not. had this 7.0 quake struck near many US cities, I expect we'd see similar damage. new madrid fault system comes to mind.

moreover, we in the us are not as up to date as you imply.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2000/fs075-00/fs075-00.pdf

Seismic monitoring is vital to meet the Nation’s needs for timely and accurate information used in reducing the loss of life and property from earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanic eruptions.

An Advanced National Seismic System is needed to organize, modernize, standardize, and stabilize seismic monitoring in the United States. Most existing systems monitor either weak seismic motions or strong ground shaking, but not both. Modern seismographs can record both weak motions and strong motions onscale with high accuracy. By bringing this information in through a central computer with modern high-speed telecommunications, it becomes an important tool for emergency response.

it is advanced monitoring systems that will allow us to predict quakes with any accuracy.

Also a reminder to check and rotate the supplies in your earthquake kits if you live in shakeyland, and consider contributing to the Red Cross or other (legitimate!) relief agencies who'll be responding (some of whom have people who are apparently trapped in the rubble because of those wonderfully unsupervised building contractors...).

Real charity doesn't care if it's tax-deductible or not, :beer:

Buffy

there really is no such thing as "shakeyland"; no place is exempt.

Maryland Geological Survey: Earthquakes in Maryland

The last earthquake to cause appreciable damage in the eastern United States occurred in 1886 near Charleston, South Carolina. It had an estimated magnitude of 6.5-7, an intensity of X, and was felt over an area of two million square miles. Even in Maryland, the felt intensity from this earthquake was IV to V.

Perhaps the greatest seismic event ever to occur in North America in historic times was a series of earthquakes that shook the mid-continent around New Madrid, Missouri in the winter of 1811-1812. Estimates of the magnitude range as high as 8.7; estimated maximum intensity was XII; and the felt area, which included Maryland, was 2 million square miles.

Other damaging earthquakes in the eastern U.S. include an intensity VIII event near Boston in 1755 and intensity VI events near New York City in 1737 and 1884. ...

~ a stitch in time saves nine. ~ unatestted

Ready.gov - Prepare. Plan. Stay Informed.

:naughty:

It's all shakeyland. Even New York....

What we anticipate seldom occurs; what we least expected generally happens, :D

Buffy

:shrug: **** happens.

for our edutainment.

largest recorded quake near new dork city:

1884 Aug 10 19:07 40.45N 73.90W Greater N.Y. City area 5.2 Threw down chimneys - felt from Virginia to Maine

LARGEST EARTHQUAKES NEAR NEW YORK CITY

quakes this week near nude yuork:

> Magnitude 2.7 - ONTARIO-QUEBEC BORDER REGION, CANADA

> Magnitude 1.8 - ONTARIO-QUEBEC BORDER REGION, CANADA

the aftershocks have slowed in haiti, but the death toll is climbing. this article is saying 100,000, but some reports say it may reach 1/2 million. 3 million people are in need of immediate aid.

Port-au-Prince, Haiti (CNN) -- Rescue workers struggled to clear rubble and bodies Wednesday from the streets of Haiti's "flattened" capital, where a government official said the death toll from Tuesday's 7.0-magnitude earthquake may exceed 100,000. ...

Haiti appeals for aid; official fears 100,000 dead after earthquake - CNN.com

~an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.~

the aftershocks have slowed in haiti, but the death toll is climbing. this article is saying 100,000, but some reports say it may reach 1/2 million. 3 million people are in need of immediate aid.

Haiti appeals for aid; official fears 100,000 dead after earthquake - CNN.com

~an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.~

Sad. I've been following this in the news.

Real charity doesn't care if it's tax-deductible or not, :naughty:

Buffy

There is now satellite imagery from the devastating Haitian earthquake. There is a link Google LatLong: Haiti imagery layer now available which is viewable on Google earth or on Google Maps.

The vicinity of the destroyed National Palace. The streets all around the city are full of people.

Clicking back and forth between the current and the 2008 imagery, shows the extent of the devastation throughout the city, though ground level imagery from news organizations really shows how horrible it is. There is much more mapping information available here. http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=1295808

Sad. I've been following this in the news.

yeah; it is sad. speaking of which:

U.S. evangelical minister Pat Robertson said the devastating earthquake in Haiti could have occurred because of a long-ago pact with the devil.
Evangelist Pat Robertson: Quake May Be From Satanic Pact

good frickin' grief!! :shrug: the rest of my thought is off-topic swearing that would make a sailor blush. :D

There is now satellite imagery from the devastating Haitian earthquake.
thanks hill; you da man. :bow: good to hear from you. :naughty:

going back to the california offshore series, there is a viral video of a dog reacting to "something" just seconds before the initial quake hits.

YouTube - Dog's Sixth Sense - 2010 Quake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWAhuln8ZeQ

to me it looks like the dog got a static shock. he feels something down by his right leg, the charge building, and when he brings his muzzle down to check it, zap! :naughty:

this put me in mind of our old discussion of piezoelectric earth effects. :D

>> Piezoelectric earth

US quake of the day; 17 miles from oklahoma city:

Magnitude 3.3 - OKLAHOMA