Science Forums

Why is universe expanding?

udhitsharma

I think one hypothesis is that dark energy causes the universe to expand. It's supposed to be a kind of counter-force to gravity, in that it's a repulsive rather than an attracting force.

It seems logical that a repulsive force would be at work, since the expansion of the universe is apparently accelerating. :lol:

if it is expanding it is doing work.
It is expanding against the gravitational attraction between galaxies. This implies that kinetic energy should be decreasing. It is like a bullet that has been shot straight upward, once the gun has given it speed, it will rise until the kinetic energy runs out and then it falls back. If shot fast enough (faster than escape velocity), it would leave Earth and continue indefinitely.

The trouble is now that signs have been found according to which the rate of expansion would be increasing, indicating there might be some repulsive force as well as gravity. This would be like a huge cosmic spring that is pushing things apart.

In simple terms universe expands because big bang make it expand.

But universe is found to be accelerating ,from here the theory starts.

either dark energy is causing it to expand (perhaps) or something else.

while force against gravitational attraction of galaxies.:D

I think the baryonic matter present is much much less for such an imense void space to cause any gravitational attraction ,much less than the critical density and this all was only by the force of big bang ex. dark energy has much to do beyond.

A slightly different possible explaination might be one like this, suppose we had a perfectly spherical cloud of dust particles with no forces acting on them except their own gravitational forces. You would think the center of the cloud would collapse toward the outside of the sphere and the outside would collapse toward the center. If the dust cloud were a million times the size of the visible universe it would appear just as it does today. I am not saying this is the way it is but it would explain the acceleration.

I think one hypothesis is that dark energy causes the universe to expand. It's supposed to be a kind of counter-force to gravity, in that it's a repulsive rather than an attracting force.

It seems logical that a repulsive force would be at work, since the expansion of the universe is apparently accelerating. :confused:

I think Igby is correct because according to third law of motion, to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this case, action is attraction between heavenly objects caused by gravitation and reaction is repulsion between heavenly bodies caused by dark energy(perhaps). I think this repulsion is causing expansion of the universe.:P

I think Igby is correct because according to third law of motion, to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this case, action is attraction between heavenly objects caused by gravitation and reaction is repulsion between heavenly bodies caused by dark energy(perhaps). I think this repulsion is causing expansion of the universe.:confused:

Oh! there is a problem Mohit.Dark energy isn't the reaction however we are still unaware of nature of dark energy.But Dark energy is only the counter force of gravitational force and not an equal reaction .Gravitation is a mutual force caused by frame dragging and is always attractive in nature, however third applies to motion,we also find considerable facts of gravitation in this regard.

For example -earth apply same force to an apple in the air.as a reaction apple also as an equal reaction attract the earth with same force, but the difference lies in masses and thus inverse ratio of acceleration with mass will cause the apple to fall on earth,the acceration of earth is so negligible ,so it can be taken as zero.

however third applies to motion.

Do you not think that the expansion of the universe is a type of motion.

Here is my theory, yall tell me what you think. Since the big bang the universe has not quit expanding because there is no outside force to keep it from expanding(newton's first law of motion), and since there is no force to counteract this expansion the velocity will continue to accelerate (newtons second law of motion.).