Science Forums

Why is universe expanding?

udhitsharma

Tell me, how does a force act on space? it is the space expanding, the matter within it is just along for the ride :esmoking:

I disagree. If space between atoms and subatomic particles were expanding also, then the size of objects would be growing proportional to their flying away from each other, and the only side-effect would be an apparent c-decay.

If the universe is expanding and has been measured to be accelerating.

Then it would not seem too rediculous to me to presume that a big bang is not responsible for the expansion of the universe.

If there is acceleration occuring, which I am not positive about, then the origin of expansion should rely on the same force that providing the expansion today, which is not explosions from nowhere.

I disagree. If space between atoms and subatomic particles were expanding also, then the size of objects would be growing proportional to their flying away from each other, and the only side-effect would be an apparent c-decay.

Unless space-time is quantized and the actual quanta is expanding. If the speed limit is one metron per chronon, then no matter how "big" a metron is you can go on in one chronon.

(of course, then you wouldn't SEE space expanding, because the ruler would be expanding too. Thus, space isn't just expanding, it's adding new space.)

TFS

I think that some energy might have left from the big bang that we call dark energy which is accelerating the expansion of universe. How's that?

Look ,whatever energy and matter was emitted from big bang is baryonic and known to us,the dark energy is dominant in universe and is somewhat much greater than what big bang could produce,that's why still remains a mystery.

The energy we know of is mc^2 of all the baryonic matter in the universe.

I can't express myself much proficiently today,but i will let u know some other day.

First, there was no matter when the BB occurred, only energy. Second, Dark energy is a name that someone has come up with to make the observered acceleration fit the BB. It very well may be true but I am open minded enough to realize that there may be another explaination.

One way could be as I proposed in this thread, post #6.

A slightly different possible explaination might be one like this, suppose we had a perfectly spherical cloud of dust particles with no forces acting on them except their own gravitational forces. You would think the center of the cloud would collapse toward the outside of the sphere and the outside would collapse toward the center. If the dust cloud were a million times the size of the visible universe it would appear just as it does today. I am not saying this is the way it is but it would explain the acceleration.

It's probably possible. But wouldn't that only predict expansion on axes perpendicular to our trajectory, with apparent contraction in front and behind us?

The force of gravity has been described as a dimension, correct?

A dimension that creates a sink hole for matter, and this curve/dimension is dependent on the density of matter and mass of matter.

With that said,

Has the expansion of the universe every been considered as a dimension? For example. If you place some marbles on a large sheet that is held horiztonal up in the air (by people persay). The marbles will create curves in the sheet. Depressions marks, which is one of the ways that has been used to give a simple analogy of space-time curvature and gravity.

As we add marbles all over this sheet, there is tension that builds up from the mass. Lets say the total force on the sheet is the force that will act upon the universe of marbles on the sheet, and the individual curvatures made by the marbles is the gravitational force relationship amongst the marbles in the universe.

If one was to find out the speed of the universes expansion, and the current acceleration, then input the speculated total mass, then I assume one could find out the forces net that would be needed to make it act in the way it is.

Then this force could be found to related to the constant C. The sheets tension or expanding force may be the relationship tied in with the Constant of C and the power behind it.

A very strange assumption indeed. But brainstorming is fun.

Has the expansion of the universe every been considered as a dimension?

I dont know if it has formally, but I certainly have. I even went so far as thinking that perhaps that dimension is hyperspherically shaped and that all the matter will eventually loop back around on it self..

Yes brainstorming is fun :shade: