Science Forums

Sends shivers down my spine

Queso

if I've got to pee bad enough, sometimes my entire body buzzes during urination

B) I know the feeling!

Orby, I know you don't prefer my taste in music, but I totally get what your saying..

GooseBumps. :D

When my cat died, this was the song I liked.

and I would just hop on my mtn. bike and ride like a mofo and 'shiver'...

(around 4:20)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zbsqRvqigZA

I love coldplay, their song yellow sends shivers down my spine!

Sometimes, when I hear a song that "moves" me

The left side of my body will swell with this amazing euphoric buzz, and shivers are sent down my spine.

other times, when a song is even more amazing than that, for instance "time" by Pink floyd,

my whole entire body will buzzes, and shivers are sent down my spine.

What are these shivers?????

Honestly, it feels psychedelic. Does anybody know what these really are?

wow, orbsycli. I get these shivers too, well every day, while driving car, washing dishes, walking at town, at shops, I've thought they come from some sort of energy. I think they come from the practise of meditation, in my case. Sometimes reading a good book produces shivers.

One thing I have been thinking, is that I should be as informal with them as possible. I should not give a name for them. It's enough for me that they are mystical things, that come and go. They might have something to do with religion, but I wouldnt talk about it with the average "believers".

If you’re like me, you’ll notice a slight standing up of your fine hair, and some raising of the surrounding skin into “goose bumps”.

The technical term for this is the pilomotor reflex. It’s believed to be a left-over trait from when we had a lot of body fur, and could make it stand on end to appear physically bigger, to scare off predators or competitors. Cats are much better at it than we are.

Odd apes that we are, it seems we react in a similarly way to both pleasant things, like music, and scary things, like a predator we’re trying to scare off. This is why many psychologists and physiologists say things like “there’s only one emotion – arousal”.

Is good this one, CraigD! One method I've used, is to sit down somewhere, might be a cafe, doesnt matter if there´s people around... Then if you have a spoon, or small mirror, or mobile phone, you begin to reflect light on your eyes, .. a small movement with fingers, and the eyes, - or muscles behind the eyes her relaxed. Then I usually experience a small cold fireworks coming from sacrum bone and exploding through the skull.

The pilomotor reflex gets activated, yes. I've also thought about this theory, that at the base, basically there is only one emotion: the emotion herself.

PS. Some people say you need to use drigs to get into altered states of consciousness, but I dont believe that. On the contrary, drugs only ruin the nervous system and it's sensitivity.

Do this shivers sometimes travel from the base of your neck to the top of your head? I'm not sure if this is a "shiver" DOWN the spine, because it's like a tingle up the neck, to the brain. Good feeling nontheless.

having just coinicidentally experienced this a few minutes ago. mine appear to start somewhere to the lower right of my torso, and then continue to go to the left over my back li9ke a blanket of funny feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

The technical term for this is the pilomotor reflex. It’s believed to be a left-over trait from when we had a lot of body fur, and could make it stand on end to appear physically bigger, to scare off predators or competitors. Cats are much better at it than we are.

Odd apes that we are, it seems we react in a similarly way to both pleasant things, like music, and scary things, like a predator we’re trying to scare off. This is why many psychologists and physiologists say things like “there’s only one emotion – arousal”.

well, the benifit of this in a predator/attacker situation has been explained, but perhaps the reason our bodies decided to "look bigger" in the good situation is this:

in a situation where something makes you exceedingly happy, the body makes you appear bigger so that to an outside observer, a "positive" change is noticable.

for example, a monkey(1) sees another monkey(2) started to appear larger. now monkey 1 examines monkey 2, discovering his engagement in some kind of activity that is causing the raising of his hairs.

now monkey1 tries monkey2's activity, to find out that it is, in fact pleasant. right there, the monkey has learned something he can use for the rest of his life, and perhaps other monkeys will now learn from monkey 1 as monkey 1 learned from monkey 2.

i can see the evolutionary benifit of this, can you?

just a theory.

regarding my own shivers, things that can cause this . . .

-potent speach

-comprehension of mortality, or other massive thoughts

-amazing music, or really any form of art for that matter

-suspense

-sexual activity (varying with effectiveness of said activity, and techniques used within)

and for some reason, i can pretty much trigger it when i want it.

i can't explain or describe how, but i can send mild ones any time i want to.

but the strong chills mostly seem to come from outside sources.