Science Forums

Sends shivers down my spine

Queso

Sometimes, when I hear a song that "moves" me

The left side of my body will swell with this amazing euphoric buzz, and shivers are sent down my spine.

other times, when a song is even more amazing than that, for instance "time" by Pink floyd,

my whole entire body will buzzes, and shivers are sent down my spine.

What are these shivers?????

Honestly, it feels psychedelic. Does anybody know what these really are?

WOW. That's really freaky. That happens to me too.

It seems to simply be some strong pleasuring stimulus. It's weird, but it seems that certain songs can trigger an intense emotional pleasure. Often I find that these "shivers" are a result of some subconscious connection between the song and your mind.

I enjoy them greatly... and they usually occur when a song carries some deep and/or profound meaning.

:eek2:

When the geometry of the song is so precise and beautifully crafted,

combined with the colors of the tones

and the words

they spark and stack

and it gets so overwhelming

I smile and quiver and slam my eyes shut and watch the rainbow clouds.

Does anyone know some science behind this?

it reminds me of getting touched by a beatiful woman, or sexual experience.

Not as good as an orgasm though...

Anyway! As I said before, it's probably something in your subconscious. Certain lyrics stimulate a reaction somewhere deep in your mind. Your body reacts with a "surge" of neurological impulses... causing you to shiver and feel all tingly inside. :rose:

Not as good as an orgasm though...

Anyway! As I said before, it's probably something in your subconscious. Certain lyrics stimulate a reaction somewhere deep in your mind. Your body reacts with a "surge" of neurological impulses... causing you to shiver and feel all tingly inside. :rose:

Guess what?

I was so high on marijuana one time

and I was just sitting down in a recliner

listening to John Coltrane

that I had an orgasm!

I swear on my life,

I did not ejaculate

but my entire body had an orgasm, i could feel it.

It was amazing, and the only time in my life where this is happened.

i really dont think it has much to do with lyrics so much as frequencies, becuase i listen to mostly insturmental stuff, and i still get it if the right song is on.

its funny, i can sometimes que it too. its like this repeating thought, i love this song, i love this artist, i love this world that is being made. then, like clockwork, there it is! but thats only sometimes. i dont really ever try to do it, but i know when it will come, dig?

Try this experiment:

Look closely at your arm (or wherever it is you experience shivers). The nape (back) of you neck is a particularly good place to look, though it’s hard to look at you own.

Experience what gives you the shivers (music is common, but I sometimes get shivers thinking about things that have happened to me, or even people who died before I was born)

Continue to look at you arm, etc.

Notice any physical change?

If you’re like me, you’ll notice a slight standing up of your fine hair, and some raising of the surrounding skin into “goose bumps”.

The technical term for this is the pilomotor reflex. It’s believed to be a left-over trait from when we had a lot of body fur, and could make it stand on end to appear physically bigger, to scare off predators or competitors. Cats are much better at it than we are.

Odd apes that we are, it seems we react in a similarly way to both pleasant things, like music, and scary things, like a predator we’re trying to scare off. This is why many psychologists and physiologists say things like “there’s only one emotion – arousal”.

Odd apes that we are, it seems we react in a similarly way to both pleasant things, like music, and scary things, like a predator we’re trying to scare off. This is why many psychologists and physiologists say things like “there’s only one emotion – arousal”.

Yes... odd apes indeed. :shrug:

Reacting the same way to both arousal and fright? Interesting...