Science Forums

My grandfather has cancer.

Tarantism

oh man.

My best friend died from lukemia when I was in the third grade.

I remember they tried to help him with keimotherapy, however you spell it..

even though, at the time, i did not understand death, or cancer

I could tell whatever keimotherapy was it was just making him sicker.

So, **** keimotherapy, and cancer's just a way to weed out some humans..

I think it's all about a positive frame of mind, and marijuana to ease the pain.

Chronic Leukemia. so hypography my question to you is: what can you tell me about this disease? is there any hope for a cure??

Awww. I'm really sorry man.

My best friend's mom died of breast cancer a few years ago.

That really sucked. It hit rather close to home for me (and of course my friend).

I have aspirations of becoming an oncologist one day... so I can help people with cancer.

As for a cure.... I don't see one in the near future.

There are treatments though. Try to stay positive.

i am sorry to hear of your losses, guys. i hope my post didnt rehash old sadness.

so if there is infact a remission, does that mean that his symptoms will regress perminantly or just temporarily, prolonging the inevitable. everyone dies someday though, and i have been informed that he may live for anywhere between 4 and 25 years.

thanks everyone, for you kind words and info. this one raelly hits me hard because he taught me everything i know about chemistry, and im going to school for it in the fall.

this is irrelivent, but i dont know if any of you went to SF state and studied chem...he taught there for about 30 years.

thanks again.

Chronic Leukemia. so hypography my question to you is: what can you tell me about this disease? is there any hope for a cure??

:)

I found the following link from the american cancer society on Adult Chronic Leukemia.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/cri/content/cri_2_4_1x_what_is_adult_chronic_leukemia_62.asp

I hope you find it a wealth of information, also you might want to get in touch with the cancer clinics in your area. They provide support and counselling, and so forth enabling you to be a positive impact in your grandad's life.

If I might ask, how long has he had the illness? How is your Mom/Dad taking it? Family support is a huge factor in recovery/remission as well as positive attitude.

Incidentally I read an article today about a biochemist Zheng Cui of Wake Forest University who has been experimenting with a very aggressive form of cancer that causes a 100% death rate.

He's apparently isolated a super cancer fighting white blood cell from mice who were immune to cancer, he's also found that a sample of human volunteers (10-15%) have similar cells.

He's been experimenting with injecting white blood cells into cancer patients to see if he can transfer their immunity. (This information is several years old, he may be much further along in his trials now.)

http://www1.wfubmc.edu/molecular_genetics/Faculty+Members/Cancer/Cui/

thanks for the info, CE. i have have been trolling the net for information since i found out today, as well as reading my mom's nursing text, and i really appritiate the link and such.

i dont know how long it has been since he was diagnosed. i know that it has been at least months, and i know that my family didnt tell me right away. my mom appears to be taking it OK, but then again that could just be a mask. i know that as time goes on things will change quite a bit, if my household were the pineal glad, we would be hard pressed to keep the seritonan levels up in the collective family brain. he is a huge member of the family and has been a co-ordinator for several family gatherings and event. huge blow to myself and everyone else.

thats really interesing about Zheng Cui. i found this at Wiki, in case youre interested, apparently some of his treatments have worked :hihi:

Zheng Cui, MD PhD, is a biochemist currently serving as an Associate Professor of Pathology (Tumor Biology) at Wake Forest University. As an oncologist and a cancer researcher Cui has proposed the unique idea that certain individuals (estimated at 10% to 15% of the human population) naturally produce a special kind of white blood cell that contains an inherent resistance to cancer. These white blood cells, in Cui's view, could potentially be extracted from donors and given to cancer victims, thus endowing them with cancer resistance. Cui's research is based on experiments on mice. These experiments resulted in Cui being able to cure cancer in several otherwise terminally sick mice. Cui is proposing eventual experimentation of the technique on human subjects.

thanks again.

• 9 months later...

an update: my family is in high spirits as my grandfathers cancer has been in remission for at least six months now. this was confirmed about a week and a half ago. therefore he has been given the proverbial "all systems go" to go ahead and get a bone marrow transplant. also there has been whisperings about him possibly being eligable to participate in some species of stem-cell research program at stanford university.

it has been hard of everyone in my family but so far things have been going as well as they possibly could...

an update: my family is in high spirits as my grandfathers cancer has been in remission for at least six months now. this was confirmed about a week and a half ago. therefore he has been given the proverbial "all systems go" to go ahead and get a bone marrow transplant. also there has been whisperings about him possibly being eligable to participate in some species of stem-cell research program at stanford university.

it has been hard of everyone in my family but so far things have been going as well as they possibly could...

Good news. I had a cancer opp 2 years ago.

I'm fine now

A friend with a very aggressive breast cancer was told by her oncologist to go on an organic, bio-dynamic diet.

I have seen other people seem to beat cancer with diet

I know older people don't like a change in diet but you might like to resarch it and talk to him about it