Science Forums

The Beginner's Mind

InfiniteNow

• 2 weeks later...

...Is like a single blade of grass in a vast open field.

It knows not it's surroundings, but is infinitely a part of them.

It sprouts from an energy source, and stretches outward toward the light.

It bends with the force, but does not recognize that it's the wind.

It senses the weight of the water, but does not know it is rain.

It is pure experience, in the moment, surrounded by the vastness, and never separate from it.

Without visiting other sites, copying/pasting, or re-typing something from a book...

What does the beginner's mind mean to you? :)

Well...

...Is like a single blade of grass in a vast open field.

It knows not it's surroundings, but is infinitely a part of them.

It sprouts from an energy source, and stretches outward toward the light.

It bends with the force, but does not recognize that it's the wind.

It senses the weight of the water, but does not know it is rain.

It is pure experience, in the moment, surrounded by the vastness, and never separate from it.

... Wait a second... :hihi: Damnit! :eek: damnit! :doh: damnit! :doh:

I am always a step slower than InfiniteNow.

I am going to give this some thought and post on it at a later date.

Bill :eek2:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Infinite - I never knew you were a poet!

It is being open, honest and what the foolish call gullible, thinking they are being wise. It is innocense personified. It is not seeing the world through a glass darkly but having had the doors of your perception cleared. It is being light, feeling light and light-hearted. It is having faced death and realized the joke is on you! It is not pretending to be an adult but admitting you're a child, footloose in the universe. It is smelling roses for the sheer joy of it, rather than as something to try to impress others with as a tale of existence. It is loving every moment and living every moment. It is not being pedantic but if you were it would be in a self-mocking tone (not harsh but with understanding). It is not being addicted (Big Dog) in a way that wallows in shame at such indulgences but enjoying every moment of it - the tastes, the smells, the sights, sounds, feelings. It is being in love with life and the futility of human existence (Like Freddie Mercury - going down all guns blazing, even making death a joke about life "I'm going slightly mad").:cup:

Seems like most people here are treating the begginner's mind as a good thing...if this were so, then why do we spend so much time learning? that is, why do we devote so much effort to destroying a good thing? Perhaps a begginner's mind isn't all that great after all...

With that in mind, the begginner's mind is;

A mind that is easily decived

A mind that often arives at the wrong conclusion

A mind that has no context in which to place information

A mind that is undisiplined

A mind that does not understand

Just a few from me. I do not mean to imply that begginners are bad (hardly, we are all begginners at one time or another and always begginers in somethings). Rather, i just want to point out why we strive to end our begginners mind.

My two cents :naughty:

Seems like most people here are treating the begginner's mind as a good thing...if this were so, then why do we spend so much time learning? that is, why do we devote so much effort to destroying a good thing? Perhaps a begginner's mind isn't all that great after all...

With that in mind, the begginner's mind is;

A mind that is easily decived

A mind that often arives at the wrong conclusion

A mind that has no context in which to place information

A mind that is undisiplined

A mind that does not understand

Just a few from me. I do not mean to imply that begginners are bad (hardly, we are all begginners at one time or another and always begginers in somethings). Rather, i just want to point out why we strive to end our begginners mind.

My two cents :)

Well thought out. In this situation there are two viewpoints - at the bottom, looking up (The child) and from the top, looking down (The adult/establishment). The adult is the former child, staring back at what he used to be and the force that is replacing him: Pushing him off this mortal coil with its youthful enthusiasm, for the things he too once enjoyed and helped establish/protect and that death is now helping him to let go of. It's all a process, a conveyor belt of activity as we pass through one door and go out the other. It's easy to see which side of it you're on - me too! (54 and fed up with kids as I'm still trying to put down roots and leave something useful behind (and missing!)).

• 3 weeks later...