Science Forums

The Beginner's Mind

InfiniteNow

I think all of the responses thus far have been positive, uplifting, warm and fuzzy takes on the beginners mind.

Meanwhile, in the grim, dark world of reality I have observed the following other characteristics of the Beginner's Mind:

fear, uncertainty, irresolution, resentment, foreboding, anger, smugness, self-righteousness, selfishness, trepidation, egocentricity, intolerance, rejection, tunnel vision....

But then I am looking at it from the viewpoint of a teacher, where these barriers have to be overcome, or metamorphosed into something positive. However, if we do not recognise their presence, we shall never be able to deal with them.

I think all of the responses thus far have been positive, uplifting, warm and fuzzy takes on the beginners mind.

Except for my response in post #3, which is rather inclusive of your observations.

The master's nightmare.:shrug:

Post Script

Every coin has three sides.

More to the point, two sides and an edge.:eek2:

• 4 weeks later...
Without visiting other sites, copying/pasting, or re-typing something from a book...

What does the beginner's mind mean to you? :hihi:

The Beginners Mind

We are all Explorers.;)

What is the Rational cause of the beginners mind. What is its persose. Does it really give you that Uuuuuoph to say, WoW, that is something that you are most likely to forget if you dont write it down.

Does it really give you that Uuuuuoph to say, WoW, that is something that you are most likely to forget if you dont write it down.

I'm not sure I follow your question, Eilizsia, but I want to. Can you clarify what you mean?

To offer you some background, the idea of beginner's mind is most commonly seen as a concept of zen buddhism referring to openess of thought, curiosity, and an approach to existence that attempts to limit biases imposed by previous experience and knowledge.

To give an example in schooling, the teacher feels strongly one way due to their repeated experience with subject material, but the student might see something the teacher has not, since they are approaching the subject fresh.

The beginner's mind reaches out without moving. A vessel with limitless volume. It does not contain, it merges.

I'm not sure I follow your question, Eilizsia, but I want to. Can you clarify what you mean?

To offer you some background, the idea of beginner's mind is most commonly seen as a concept of zen buddhism referring to openess of thought, curiosity, and an approach to existence that attempts to limit biases imposed by previous experience and knowledge.

To give an example in schooling, the teacher feels strongly one way due to their repeated experience with subject material, but the student might see something the teacher has not, since they are approaching the subject fresh.

The beginner's mind reaches out without moving. A vessel with limitless volume. It does not contain, it merges.

I there any Point in Quoting Buddism, If you dont follow it.....

My Point is, I would rather forget i responded to a boring post that lacks actions. Knowledge is not power....it is an excuse to make people believe they are more intellegent to teach others.

My Thoughts belong to me, i exist part of the whole. but i am not controlled by someone elses views or experiences.....my mind is my own, how dare anyone tell me i'm wrong, when my mind is mine....would you want everyone to think like you...or for themselves...

If you foolow clap trap beliefs that cant even prove thier worth in the world, because they are far to secluded and enlightened to thinki they are important....How many wars come from Beliefs....The fact of what im saying is that.....if people are so intellegent and wise and driven by power, then why dont they prove thier point. I guess because Knowone listens.

Morel dilema.

They wont do anything, because we all must do anything together, as a whole race.

I am what i chose to be, I can change because I understand i can....I am the whole because i want to Understand the whole, not just myself.

I am still learning, I can not know myself if i can not know others. I can not respect myself if others dont respect my free will....

I see the whole as a Beginning, because im still searching for Reason and Perpose. Does everything have to be a critisism.

Why dont we learn to ask Questions instead of thinking we know all the answers.