Science Forums

Mount St Helens...

• 3 weeks later...

:rotfl: Imagine if you will an old gray bearded man climbing out the window of the house across from you with his cane and a video camera and inching his way across the icy shingles to the peak of the garage. :evil: :phones: Honey! Call the kids in! That guy's doin' somethin' strange again! :nahnahbooboo:

Nothing is too extreme for me in the pursuit of science. :evil: The video is uploading to YouTube and I'll edit in the link as soon as it registers. ::evil:

Video Link > YouTube - Mt. St. Helens steam eruption Dec.19,2006 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ1AsGdky8c

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Got an hour? :lol:

Heres a video on Mt. St. Helens from a seismologist and geologist.

Steve Malone!

Mt. St. Helens is erupting..but the question is when will it explode? :phones:

:rolleyes:

Mt. St. Helens - Google Video

Nice catch Racoon San! Good ol' Doctor Steve isn't just any seismologist; he's the director of the Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network!

The video is an excellent lecture on St. Helens, with an emphasis (of course) on what seismological study has reveled. The most salient point for me was how seismogram records have helped explain the recharging of the magma chamber & eruption cycles. A lot of small quakes at shallow depth occur as precursors to eruptive events, wheras deeper quakes (5-10 Km) occur after an eruption as the chamber shrinks and then refills. :phones:

As always, you can keep a weather eye on our favorite erupting volcano here:

Mount St. Helens VolcanoCam - Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument

Heres a video on Mt. St. Helens from a seismologist and geologist.

Steve Malone!

Mt. St. Helens is erupting..but the question is when will it explode? :phones:

:rolleyes:

Mt. St. Helens - Google Video

Nice catch Racoon San! Good ol' Doctor Steve isn't just any seismologist; he's the director of the Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network!

The video is an excellent lecture on St. Helens, with an emphasis (of course) on what seismological study has revealed.

Indeed. Thanks Rac! :)

I enjoyed the talk. Was somewhat surprised by the trends of seismic activity as they approached "explosion, not eruption," and really like the "whale's back." Look out Ahab... there's a volcano under yer boat! :phones:

:lol:

• 6 months later...

A couple weeks ago, friends of friends took advantage of the opportunity to secure a permit and climb to the top of Mt. St. Helens volcano. It is a 4 hour trek to the highest point on the South rim, and a 3 hour return...or so I'm told. :shrug: At any rate, they have kindly allowed me to scan and post a few of their photos from the top.

The mountain not only is continuously erupting and building the dome, the crater contains actively growing glaciers. A simply beautiful contradiction in terms. Enjoy, and thanks to Ace Banyon's intrepid Brother-in-law. :) :cheer:

PS You can look into the crater real-time on the new high-res Volcano-Cam. >> Mount St. Helens VolcanoCams - Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument

Hopefully that picture is a message that she's promising to be good...at least for now! :)

Thanks for posting all these great pictures Mr. Turtle!

Rumble, :phones:

Buffy

:) I couldn't help climbing out on the roof to my only view of St. Helens from the house, and snapping a shot of the lenticular cloud from my side. While I was at it, I noticed Mt. Hood has a couple lenticular clouds of its own and snapped a shot of that too. Will attach the St. Helens shot and BRB with the Hood shot from the Gallery. :idea:

Today was the last day of the season at the Johnston Ridge Observatory so I accepted an invitation to go up & visit our favorite actively erupting volcano, Loowit, aka Mt. St. Helens.

...Johnston Ridge which was named in honor of U.S.Geological Survey (USGS) volcanologist David A. Johnston who was on duty at the USGS, Coldwater II observation post during the May 18, 1980, eruption. David Johnston was one of 57 people who lost their lives in the eruption. ...
CVO Website - Mount St. Helens Points of Interest - Johnston Ridge Observatory

I have a number of stills to sort through, but I climbed to the highest nearby point on the trail and shot this video panorama. (the clicking noise you hear and the jerky rotation are what you get when you pay only $40 for a tripod.:P My bad. :) )

YouTube - Mt. St. Helens volcano 360º panorama http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY2_Zp8r0bc

This is a Douglas Fir tree snapped off like a twig during the 1980 eruption of Mt. St. Helens volcano. It is displayed in the Johnston Ridge Observatory.

(click image for full-size view)

Again from Johnston Ridge, this is Mt. Adams volcano, 33 miles to the East. It receives less attention for a number of reasons, even though it is taller than Hood, and St. Helens before she blew in '80. Only Rainier to the North is taller.

Called Pahto by some Native Americans of the region, Adams now lies mostly within the Yakima Indian Reservation. Because of intervening high hills, and considerable mountain rain-shadow weather, Adams is usually unseeable from the Vancouver, Portland metropolitan area.

(you know what to do.:))

A closeup of the growing dome inside St. Helen's crater. The volcano extrudes enough lava every day to fill a 100 yd sports field to a depth of 6 feet, according to the Ranger lecturing during my visit. More amazing still perhaps, if you all may forgive me mentioning it yet again, is that around the base of the dome and intermixed with ash & rock is a growing glacier field. :thumbs_up

(clickety click;))

More amazing still perhaps, if you all may forgive me mentioning it yet again, is that around the base of the dome and intermixed with ash & rock is a growing glacier field. :hyper:

It's not too surprising to me. At +7,000 ft., evaporation quickly turns to condensation. Also, wind (and rain) blowing from the west would climb up the westward slopes and "dip" into the "hollowed-out" peak, creating perfect conditions for ice formation. The heat source origin is far enough away (below sea level) to allow for ice accumulation with rock and ash insulating the "near-surface piping and output".

yes/no?

It's not too surprising to me. At +7,000 ft., evaporation quickly turns to condensation. Also, wind (and rain) blowing from the west would climb up the westward slopes and "dip" into the "hollowed-out" peak, creating perfect conditions for ice formation. The heat source origin is far enough away (below sea level) to allow for ice accumulation with rock and ash insulating the "near-surface piping and output".

yes/no?

Near enough I'd say, although there is 1,000+ lava on the surface of the dome. The altitude is key, and freezing rain and snow drive the glacier growth as well as retard Summer melt. What strikes me as compelling is that we constantly hear the world's glaciers are melting and the implication comes off as if all of them are melting and here we have not only a glacier growing but it is in a freakin' active volcano. :eek:

Here's an oldish bit on the new glacier formed behind and around the growing dome: >>

From: USFS Volcano Review, Summer 2002, contribution by Charlie Anderson, Director of the International Glaciospeleological Survey

In the unique laboratory of Mount St. Helens, scientists that study glaciers and glacier caves are observing and documenting a newly formed glacier. Over the last 21 years, snow, ice and rock debris have accumulated behind the Lava Dome to an average depth of 100 meters (325 feet) thick. The snow has been stacking higher each year compressing the past years' snow into a dense crystalline ice body, as deep as 190 meters (600 feet). Giant cracks in the ice, called crevasses, and other flow features, indicate that the ice body is transforming into a glacier. Scientists, known as Glaciospeleologists, have been studying the movement and growth of the glacier as it creeps around both sides of the Lava Dome, flowing north.

CVO Website - Mount St. Helens Glaciers and Glaciations

These are great photos, Turtle.

I just wish I had a better sense of the scale.

There just ain't anything better than seein' it firsthand.

I'd love to climb up there and check it out

Thanks. The scale is tough to get a grasp on from the imagery, and even as much so firsthand. Utter devastation as far as the eye can see. I do have some more video, but of poor quality for various reasons. :( If you don't mind a screaming kid or the auto zoom going whack, I'll be happy to upload them to YouTube and then post the embed. I have more detail still photos of the N. Toutle valley below the mountain and I only held off putting them up because of the lack of scale in them. Guess I better get with them too. :hihi:

That's a wrap. :hyper:

PS Here's a shot from the Coldwater lookout; the mountain is about 6 miles away. [Coldwater Lookout in Skamania County, Washington; elevation of 5,727 feet.

Degrees Minutes Seconds:

Latitude: 46 18 00N

Longitude: 122 10 51W ]

(click image for full scale devastation)