Science Forums

Mount St Helens...

Steaming dome inside Mt. St. Helens as she rebuilds herself.

YouTube - St. Helens dome steaming http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHnD-MkuBw0

A crowd gathers to listen to a Ranger lecture on St. Helens; the mountain steams, while a child screams. :shrug:

YouTube - Mt. St. Helens - Johnston Ridge Observatory http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-vfKki6ecg

Here's a short vid showing the camera array affixed to the Johnston Ridge Observatory building. Not sure about the small roundy unit, but the other 2 squarish cameras feed the Volcano Cam page. Mount St. Helens VolcanoCams - Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument

Note the High-def cam is mounted askew. :)

YouTube - Volcano cams - Johnston Ridge Observatory http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpPQgHG6Pbs

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a short vid showing the camera array affixed to the Johnston Ridge Observatory building. Not sure about the small roundy unit, but the other 2 squarish cameras feed the Volcano Cam page. Mount St. Helens VolcanoCams - Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument

Note the High-def cam is mounted askew. :)

Here's a screen shot from the high-def askew-cam of Loowit. Shhhh....don't wake her; she's not the greatest morning person. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

St. Helens has started some small steam eruptions the last day or so, and today is clear enough to have a view from the volcano cam. The talking heads say maybe she's waking up again, or maybe just settling down. :doh: Gee, do you suppose all the rain & snow might have anything to do with it. :shrug: Enjoy the view. :cup: :turtle:

Mount St. Helens VolcanoCams - Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument

Video Links | News On Demand | kgw.com | News for Oregon and SW Washington

Thanks for the update on old Smokey Turtle.

question: I know you live fairly close to Mount St Helens but you are outside of the blast area? Yes I hope.

Distant image of Mount St. Helens, WA, USA

I'm ~40 miles South. This is well outside the extent of the 1980 lateral blast, ~20 miles. That said, the only thing that kept this area largely free of the ash falls was a West wind. :turtle: :shrug:

...The near-supersonic lateral blast, loaded with volcanic debris, caused devastation as far as 19 miles (30 km) from the volcano. The area affected by the blast can be subdivided into three roughly concentric zones:[2]

Felled trees at Johnston's Ridge, 2003Direct blast zone, the innermost zone, averaged about 8 miles (13 km) in radius, an area in which virtually everything, natural or artificial, was obliterated or carried away.[2] For this reason, this zone also has been called the "tree-removal zone." The flow of the material carried by the blast was not deflected by topographic features in this zone.

Channelized blast zone, an intermediate zone, extended out to distances as far as 19 miles (30 km) from the volcano, an area in which the flow flattened everything in its path and was channeled to some extent by topography.

What about pyroclastic flow Turtle?

They mention flow in the last sentence of the quote you posted, but they don't say where it was channeled to.

:doh: I see I forgot the link, and now I can't find the exact page. Nevertheless, the flow went into surrounding valleys, principally Spirit Lake and the N. Toutle River drainage. Here's a shot I took back in October looking down on the pyroclastic deposits just North & below the volcano. These deposits are hundreds of feet deep. :shrug: :turtle:

(click to enlarge)

• 4 weeks later...
Turtle I'm glad that your not any closer then that. ;)

:D Just close enough. :) Checking the volcano cam today, I found a clue to just how much snow has fallen up there.

Note the snow drift in the foreground that is partially blocking the view? Well those cameras are ~ 20 feet off the ground! :D

Expect some nice steam blasts when all this starts to melt. :read: :phones:

• 1 month later...
... Checking the volcano cam today, I found a clue to just how much snow has fallen up there.

Note the snow drift in the foreground that is partially blocking the view? Well those cameras are ~ 20 feet off the ground! :doh:

Expect some nice steam blasts when all this starts to melt. :eek: :turtle:

Checking the Volcano-Cam today during a break in the weather I found the snow so high that it virtually blocks any view of the volcano and the roads remain impassable by wheeled vehicles. See capture image below.

In general, the eruption continues steadily, although the last few months have seen fewer quakes and a reduction in the volume of lava erupting. Stay tuned for Spring explosions. :turtle: :cup: :turtle:

MOUNT ST. HELENS UPDATE

Current Volcanic- Alert Level WATCH; Aviation Color Code ORANGE: Growth of the new lava dome inside the crater of Mount St. Helens continues, accompanied by low rates of seismicity, low emissions of steam and volcanic gases, and minor production of ash. During such eruptions, changes in the level of activity can occur over days to months. The eruption could intensify suddenly or with little warning and produce explosions that cause hazardous conditions within several miles of the crater and farther downwind. Small lahars could suddenly descend the Toutle River if triggered by heavy rain or by interaction of hot rocks with snow and ice. These lahars pose a negligible hazard below the Sediment Retention Structure (SRS) but could pose a hazard along the river channel upstream. ...

CVO Menu - Cascade Range Volcanoes and Volcanics - Current Update

Good Grief! :snow: Is this much snow normal for you guys? :snow:

No...well, it is more accurate to say it is rare or 'unusual' than not normal; it is not unprecedented. If it melts slowly, it's good because we have plenty of water for irrigation, power production, and drinking, but if it melts too fast we're in for some major flooding.

Arguably this is a Weather-watching comment, but we have a major snow storm moving in by tomorrow morning, and the volcano cameras may be completely covered after that. :eek2: :eek:

Snow possible in Portland as low as 200 feet on Friday | Local News | kgw.com | News for Oregon and SW Washington

• 2 weeks later...

About 2 weeks have passed, and the snow is now completely blocking the camera's view. We did have a brief peiod when it opened, either from melting or winds removing some snow. Here's today's high-def view of the inside of a 20+ foot snow bank. :) Seismic activity is currently low. :blink:

About 2 weeks have passed, and the snow is now completely blocking the camera's view. We did have a brief peiod when it opened, either from melting or winds removing some snow. Here's today's high-def view of the inside of a 20+ foot snow bank. :lol: Seismic activity is currently low. :blink:

I actually like the photo. :)

It reminds me of the Moon lit clouds from 35,000 feet,

as seen on a late evening flight from a coach window seat. :blink::)