Science Forums

Execution methods...

Read on Yahoo that Nebraska is still using 'old Sparky'. The lights in the state probably dim everytime an inmate punches out.

Any case - if you were to be executed, which way would you prefer? I know it's a bit morbid, but have anybody ever actually bothered to ask the inmates? Everybody's bitching and moaning about the methods, and the humanity/inhumanity aspect of it.

If I were to go, I'd pick normal anaesthesia, like when they put you under for an operation, and then when I'm passed out, a lethal injection. Or decapitation, for that matter - I'm passed out! Why don't they anaesthetize the dudes first? Like, duh!

Florida's three-drug combination is similar to that used in other states. The painkiller sodium pentothal is followed by a chemical, pancuronium bromide, that paralyzes the inmate. The final drug is potassium chloride, which causes a fatal heart attack.

Redundant!

All you need is run-of-the-mill anaesthetics and an axe!

Ha!

Its funny you mention this Boerseun.

Today there was a civil rights case discussion; saying lethal Injection was "inhumane"... from a Florida Cop Killer and his scum bag lawyer.

They tried to keep it from going Habeus Corpus

They argued that many times the improper amount of anesthesia is given, thus subjecting the death-row con a "cruel and [forgot the adjective]" death.

And that there were cases of death-row inmates who were unnecessarily subjected to unjust pain, as the "lethal drug potions" caused much suffering when improper anesthesia was administered

Well, Homeboy shouldn't have killed a cop! (back in 1982)

I think lethal injection is the most humane, and least messy.

I don't think I'd like to get hanged or electrocuted.

A good slug to my brain would be quick and painless...The Guillotine sounds intriguing :QuestionM

There was a story of 2 brothers who were fierce competitors, but were getting their heads lopped off...

The first brother said "Count how many times I blink my eyes when it happens" he got 12. The next brother was determined to beat 12 blinks! :QuestionM [short butchered version]

Either execution style gun shot, or lethal injection...:QuestionM

Death sucks.

I better start praying to God now!!

I've often wondered about how I would prefer to go.

I hate getting shocked. It feels too weird.

I also hate needles. I wouldn't want to die with a needle in my arm.

Honestly, this is gonna sound incredibly weird... but I think I would prefer a slow death. Like... naturally dieing. Feeling my body deteriorate. It would be hell... but i think it'd be easier to accept my slip into the unknown abyss that is death. I'd have more time to think about weird ****... and I'm sure my brain would release tons of chemicals to help me cope with my death.

A fast death would be weird.... like... "ok, this is my last chance to have a thought... what should it be?" Obviously it doesn't matter... but it'd be so weird to have to ask yourself that. Knowing exactly when you're gonna die. "once I'm under, they're gonna start pumping that poison into my body... !" "As soon as that dude says 'FIRE', I'm gone...."

It'd be cooler to just see what your brain does to cope with the dieing process. Acknowledging your death closing in, Feeling the DMT get released from your brain to help you cope, then not caring anymore about your demise due to the weird chemicals your brain is releasing.... and then... just letting go.

I want to be the one to let go.... not someone else in charge of the switch.

I think it's lame to execute people. But I guess it's natural to kill other beings. It happens all the time. But i really want to be the one in control. I want to be sure that I'm READY to let go. Ya know?

But... I doubt there is any easy way to give prisoners this type of a death. It's just never gonna happen.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm thinking heart attack resulting from sexual over indulgence... something like Sir Gallahad in the Holy Grail.

Ahhhh. Isn't that they way we would all want to go..... :lol: It is not exactly what I would call execution though... wow, could you imagine if sexual over-indulgence was part of the U.S. penal system...?? :eek:

Anyway... back to the thread... God forbid I should ever have to make the decision of how I would want to be executed (I'm a good-boy!), I would probably want lethal injection. No pain. No suffering. Just a simple 4-step chemical process leading to the rest of eternity...

Just one man's opinion.

I'm thinking heart attack resulting from sexual over indulgence... something like Sir Gallahad in the Holy Grail. :lol:

One of the bit is "The Meaning of Life" was didicated to this very topic. A man (Terry Jones) chose to be chased off a cliff by topless women.

In an episode of OZ they dealt with the same thing. The plot was that in the state you got to choose your own method of execution, so the guy on death row chose to be stoned to death. When the state would not allow that form of execution the court held that he could not be executed because the law granted him choice.

Lucky for me this will never be a real topic I have to deal with. Personally I do not care how people choose their death as long as they go alone.

Bill

State executions should be conducted by medical disassembly. Surgically anesthetize and reclaim all possible organs and tissues. If the felon is poxy, train new surgeons on diassasembly. Cremate the remains.

If nobody objects to surgery then nobody objects to medical disassembly.

As for judicial executions:-

"Amnesty International considers the death penalty to be the ultimate cruel inhuman and degrading punishment and a violation of the right to life. The organization opposes executions in all cases – however serious the offence. Scientific studies have consistently failed to find convincing evidence that the death penalty deters crime more effectively than other punishments."

http://web.amnesty.org/library/index/engasa210402004

Personally:-

I would like to be able to decide when I die.

I have a few herbs under investigation.

Good drugs are becomming hard to get

Strangely euthanasia is illegal while judicial murder is allowed

Go figure?

Euthanasia is illegal, but getting the family together and deciding to 'pull the plug' is not. What the hell's the difference?

in recent times the Northern Territory was the first Australian "State" to pass law allowing Euthanasia.

The Federal Government, full of reactionaries, immediately passed a law forbidding it.

I really don't want to spend the last 10-20 years of my life with "Old-Timers-Disease". I have seen what it does to carers. The Alzheimer’s person is oblivious; and is often in reasonable heath because they have no stress and go on for years.

If you had a progressive terminal disease, help should be given, so that you could choose when you could handle it no more

I suspect that often it is given and doctors keep quiet about it.

Incidentally (ie not really on topic) I had a student once who said she thought Shakespeare must have known about Alzheimer’s as "Lear" was a classic case study.

Perhaps I should post that on "Quirky English-Lit 'Facts'":)

I suspect that often it is given and doctors keep quiet about it.

You think? I reckon it'll be bad for business, killing off patients with permanent debilitating conditions! They are permanent cash-cows till the day they die!

Perhaps I should post that on "Quirky English-Lit 'Facts'":)

Now there's an idea for a thread! Go at it!

Ive often thought about how I want to die. Ive decided Id like to be burnt to death, slowly. It seems, thers no way to know what it would feel like execpt to actually do it, and Idnt want to scar myself horribly by 'testing' it, so I figure twould be the best way to go.

Ideally, twould be after I fulfiled some of my other fantasies, some of which would not be looked at kindly by society. Idnt want to go to gaol, I dont think I would enjoy it much, so I imagine that if I ever 'snap', i will burn whatever place Im in down afterwards. Nice and clean, no need for an execution per se, nor even a trial.