Science Forums

Family Values: Abortion

MagnetMan

I am researching Family Values for a documentary film. I will be posting several threads that explore this subject. It would be helpful if you contribute to this research with your views on abortion. If you could preface your view with a Y or an N to signify that you have personal experience, that would be even more helpful.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It shouldn't be used as a form of birth control if possible (oops, timmy knocked me up last night... no problem, I'll just go get an abortion on Tuesday). However, I'd say sometimes it's good as a mercy killing. I'd rather a child be aborted before birth than forced to live a life of pain, poverty, and sadness... a life with parents who could neither feed nor care for it, let alone themselves. Then there's the clear issue of rape induced pregnancies.

We have the choice whether or not to have sex, we should, at the very least, also have to the choice of how to deal with the consequences of that act w/o legal limitations.

If it's illegal, more women will do really bad things like go to an underground doctor or use a coat hanger or something else incredibly gross... While I'd prefer abortions not happen, I think it has it's benefits.

I am researching Family Values for a documentary film. I will be posting several threads that explore this subject. It would be helpful if you contribute to this research with your views on abortion. If you could preface your view with a Y or an N to signify that you have personal experience, that would be even more helpful.

Could you post a credible link to allow people here to research your documentary history and allow persons to decide whether your objective is objective?

Agree with above post(s). Although it sounds a little too Pro-Choice coming from Texas... :singer:

Best bet is to not get yourself in an Abortion situation. :ebaskbal:

In cases of Rape and Incest, absolutely give the woman the right to choose.

I'm liberal leaning, and agree that making it illegal will only make it unsafer.

Its the womans choice ultimitely, but let's hope the Knocker-uppers have a little say so in the matter...

I side with the don't have one if you don't want one!; Someones religious beliefs shouldn't affect other peoples Medical Options!!!

:)

Originally Posted by InfiniteNow

Austin is an oasis in this vast land of closed minds...
Which minds are closed?
Dude, seriously... I live in Texas. 'nuff said. :eek_big:
[/Quote]

Lets go back to another recent conversation....

If we are in agreement about strong family effective parenting being a the strongest root for a good crime-free life, then what are the root causes of ineffective parenting? And what actions can be taken to improve parenting where it lacks?
Sure, but only if you'll agree to include all life on Earth to be included in the group "family."

So, minds that hold bugs and vermin and rodents and the lawn as valued living things equal to our wives, families and children are open, but minds that hold the unborn as precious are closed? ;)

Bill

So, minds that hold bugs and vermin and rodents and the lawn as valued living things equal to our wives, families and children are open, but minds that hold the unborn as precious are closed?

Don't put words in my mouth... however, I will rephrase.

While many residents in the state of Texas tend to think along very narrow and often misinformed lines of reason, usually as a result of a lack of contact with more than just a handful of people sharing the same views, the city of Austin is fortunate to have many different ideas being shared and expressed openly.

As for the abortion thing... like I said, I'd rather it be killed before it's born instead of living a lifetime of suffering.

Those that believe in the Laws of Karma and rebirth would disagree with you on this.

Who's to say which belief system is right or wrong??

Those who believe that bringing in another poor, hungry, doomed Orphan into this crazy and hostile world 'would' agree.

Then according to rebirth theory - the child could be re-born later at a more appropriate time.

IF we all die and are reborn, then it shouldn't matter THAT much...:thumbs_up

Because it is an Endless and Painful Cycle. :pirate:

Most everybody can agree on disagreeing on this puppy.

As for the abortion thing... like I said, I'd rather it be killed before it's born instead of living a lifetime of suffering.

That's a very confusing viewpoint...Do you have a life of suffering? Do you know people who do? Is there a definite way you can decide whether someone else's life is worth living before it's even gotten underway?

Who's to say which belief system is right or wrong??

There are no rights/wrongs in Religious Belief systems. Who would be the judge?

I brought up the suffering issue simply to remind us that there is another interesting cultural viewpoint on why suffering exists - one that is far more revealing of the Laws of Caue and Effect than what we have in our Christian culture.

What we can judge is ethical behavior, for Natue has set that standard. Abortion of a healthy fetus is unnatural. That is a fact. What we do about it is an opinion. As I define sanity as being a consensus of opinion - and since there is no consensus on this issue - then we are flirting with mass insanity. We should and must resolve it and arrive at consensus.

There are no rights/wrongs in Religious Belief systems. Who would be the judge?

I humbly beg to differ as far as this topic goes.

I brought up the suffering issue simply to remind us that there is another interesting cultural viewpoint on why suffering exists - one that is far more revealing of the Laws of Cause and Effect than what we have in our Christian culture.

Who's the intended audience for your documentary? Catholics will have an opinion regarding this matter 180 degrees away from the Protestant belief. And that also includes incompatible preconceptions not only on abortion, but even more basic, more fundamental issues like birth control, and also the common perceptions of what you'd refer to as suffering. And that's only amongst Christians. Which 'Christian Culture' are you referring to?

What we can judge is ethical behavior, for Natue has set that standard. Abortion of a healthy fetus is unnatural. That is a fact. What we do about it is an opinion. As I define sanity as being a consensus of opinion - and since there is no consensus on this issue - then we are flirting with mass insanity. We should and must resolve it and arrive at consensus.

Humans walking on Earth is natural. Humans walking on the moon is not.

Yet we have done it.

Humans taking an issue (the desire to walk on the moon - or to fly through the atmosphere, for that matter) and applying mind to matter in order to reach and realise these desires, are part and parcel of what humans are. Whether the basic idea is unnatural or not is immaterial. If the desire exists for a woman to abort the baby she is carrying, somehow, somewhere, somebody will make it possible. If we don't accept the reality that women have that choice today, and ban the practice of abortions, women holding this desire will still go to disreputable backyard abortionists who work with a coupla shots o' whiskey and a rusted coathanger.

If we outlaw flying, apprentice flyboys will still jump off cliffs in homemade contraptions and fall to their deaths, equally unnaturally.

Sure - the analogy isn't totally appliccable. The one includes the termination of a human life.

But is it human? Is it a person?

Doesn't this whole argument boil down to the age-old question of 'when' a baby *becomes* a person? And any termination before that date is acceptable, and anything after, not?

I mean - where do you draw the line?

If abortion is unacceptable at any time, then so is coitus interruptus. Or using condoms, for that matter, seeing as you're denying all those sperm cells their chance to life.

If abortion is unacceptable at any time, then so is coitus interruptus. Or using condoms, for that matter, seeing as you're denying all those sperm cells their chance to life.

That's not true - I believe that life starts at conception, because then the DNA is still that of a human, but it is not the mothers. It is a viable lifeform. It has nothing to do with denying it the chance for life, it has to do with killing it once it's alive.