Science Forums

Utah: what happened?

InfiniteNow

There is no place for punking Ethnicities.

There are Myriad Socio-economic and psychological reasons for societal ills.

I would tread lightly when blaming a certain group for problems.

Sweep off your own porch before you stand on a soap box...

Whitey ain't always that great. Know whu'm sayin dog? :eek: :hihi:

InfiniteNow,

Why are you saying I"came across as bigotted and as a generalization against an entire group of people" or "I will not stand for ignorant and hateful comments".

All I said was "The more white people, the better the quality of living".

Is this statement untrue? Would you like some facts?

What I said is a complement to a "entire group of people"

I said nothing "hatefull".

Look at Racoons statement:"I would tread lightly when blaming a certain group for problems".

When did I "blame a certain group for problems"?.

Utah is well over 90% white, I think that has alot to do with there success.

Show mw proof where I'm wrong

I'm not trying to be "cool".

I thought this is "The place to discuss psychology, political science, economics, education and law - among other things"?

Exactly how are you contributing to this discussion other than with an unfounded assumption that a percentage of a certain ethnic group improves the living conditions in any area?

I suggest you read up on our rules before posting any further.

Show mw proof where I'm wrong

Sorry pal, that's not how it works. You make a claim, you provide the evidence. That statistic you are providing does not necessarily correlate into anything at all.

Back up your statements. If you do not understand why your statement is offending then I think you may be in the wrong place.

Ignoring the above faux pas, and getting back to the post, I have an anecdote for you, Infinitenow. In the early nineties, I was studying abroad in a small southeast asian country, and was one of about three americans living in a city of 300,000. One day, a friend introduced me to two young mormon lads, fresh off the boat. These young men had questions for me regarding the safe parts of town, safe places to eat, and various other aspects of living as an expatriate. Always priding myself on being a brother, I helped them as best I could, offering my expertise, language mastery, and many native connections to them gratis, and at any reasonable hour.

Within a week, they asked me to dinner at their residence - as a way to thank me, it was said - and I accepted. I was promptly cornered for over two hours, and was read the third degree regarding my sinful life (to be fair, I was 18 and living the wild life in a sexual disneyland with widely available drugs and alcohol). After listening to their diatribe, and finally agreeing to accept a copy of the book of mormon, I was allowed to leave. I am native american, by the way, and their patronizing myths enraged me to no end.

The taste that this episode left in my mouth is to bitter to be described. I had truly reached out to help them in any way that I could, despite our obvious differences, and was rewarded with deception, high-handedness and an unwanted attempt to seduce me into accepting a pack of obvious crapola. No american received my help after that.

I realize that this is more a story about mormonism than it is about Utah itself, but the two concepts seem rather entangled in the extreme. Despite the obvious beauty of the state of Utah, and the great snowboarding, I doubt I could ever live in a place where every dinner invitation held the threat of Gestapo-like reeducation. By the way, I sent that copy of the Book Of Mormon to my mom, as a joke (we are Catholic), and she was so mortified that she called me immeidately, at about 4am my time, to assure herself that I hadn't totally lost my mind.

...regarding my sinful life (to be fair, I was 18 and living the wild life in a sexual disneyland with widely available drugs and alcohol).

Hmmm... which area was this? I might just want to move there. :eek:

By the way, I sent that copy of the Book Of Mormon to my mom, as a joke (we are Catholic), and she was so mortified that she called me immeidately, at about 4am my time, to assure herself that I hadn't totally lost my mind.

It's nice to hear that she cares. :hihi:

Thanks for putting the thread back on track, jkellmd. Cheers. :cup:

I used to run into this guy in the park where I walked my dog. Our dogs were the same breed and they'd play, so he and would talk from time to time. He was an intersting fellow, but seemed nice. He would always ask me these (what I felt were) really unusual questions, but I humored him and would give some thoughtful response.

One day, he had a bunch of books, and one in his hand. He held it proudly, like it was a winning lottery ticket. We exchanged pleasantries and he asked, "have you ever read the book of mormon?" My first inclination was somewhere between an Outer Limits episode and a Star Trek: Borg episode.

I didn't take the book, but allowed him to speak his mind. That's when I realized just how strange this whole thing really was. I later found out that my cousin was a mormon for a while, and he told stories where they had to go to this temple and the men and women would seperate and have to hang around each other naked...

I don't know... If I'm going to go to that extreme, I want to ensure that some goat's blood is involved... :hihi:

I related the thread to Utah b/c I believe that state has the highest concentration of followers of this particular faith.

The more white people, the better the quality of living.

Hmmm...

Birds of a feather flock together.

While stereotypes tend to be based on fact they are not absolutes. If you want to make an argument for segragation or race supremacy then bring it. I was just reading a collection of Malcolm X speaches so I am game. But don't do it by dropping bombs and running. Malcolm did not approve of that and neither do I.

Or perhaps you just have a sense of humor. If that is your angle you need to take better aim at the funny bone.

Bill

...cornered for over two hours, and was read the third degree regarding my sinful life...finally agreeing to accept a copy of the book of mormon, I was allowed to leave. I am native american, by the way, and their patronizing myths enraged me to no end.

Yeah i can sympathise. Once in a while we used to get the 'door knockers' around here. You know the type; "Hello, My name is Brian and this is Tom. We're volunteering to go though the community and....blah blah blah....have you ever (thought/heard of) about (Jesus/Jehova/Mormon/etc...)?"

Whenever those guys come around I just can't help but invite them in, offer them coffie and sit around to chat with them about their beleifs.:cup:

My best advice to anyone who finds this kinda religious action 'offensive' is to honestly and openly talk to them; don't let them preach, make you own observations, and trick them into saying things by asking loaded questions.

E.G.1 "But isn't your god the 'alpha AND the Omga'? Everything that is, is part of 'Him', right?"...they answer, usually "yes"..."Then doesn't that mean that Satan/lucifer/Melbogia *IS* God, or an aspect of him anyways, and that we should embrace those aspects as readilly as everything else?"(that sends them on rants, at this point it's best to let them prattle for 10-15 minutes, if they don't just walk out. )

E.G.2 "So what does your god have to say about scat?"(not talking Jazz here)

E.G.3 "So if I join up, when do I get,You know, 'alone time' with the choir kids?*wink wink, nudge nudge*"...(depending on their wide-eyed innocence this can be pklayed up for a good 20 minutes, it's a low-blow but heay it's funny to me)

The taste that this episode left in my mouth is to bitter to be described. I had truly reached out to help them in any way that I could, despite our obvious differences, and was rewarded with deception, high-handedness and an unwanted attempt to seduce me into accepting a pack of obvious crapola.
To be fair to them, they were probably trying to be "nice" and "save your eternal soul".:cup: Do them a favour, be "nice" to them and try to tell them that they don't nead an imaginary friend.

I swear I must be on some blacklist now, since they never stop by anymore. :hihi:

The more white people, the better the quality of living.

Uh... well, er... no.

The more people with money, the better the quality of living. There's a couple of seriously white trailer parks in your neck o' the woods that'll blow your assumption right out of the water.

I've no mood to get involved in a discussion of your race views, and whatever it is, I've heard them all. I'm from South Africa, the country that invented millions of imaginary reasons to support your claim, and believe you me - we have heard all possible arguments pro and con, from both sides of the spectrum. But take it from me, the above statement is simply flat-out wrong.

The only reason I've even opened this thread is because this specific posting of yours was reported. I don't see the relevance to the topic.

When those "door knockers" come by, I agree. Learn from them. Ask them tough questions. I find that they always pivot back to memorized verses which have very little or no direct relation to the original question. If you ask them something for which they have no prepgrommed rhetoric for response, they get all flustered and confused. It's sweet really. They're a bit like computers... can only operate on a specific set of codes. When the system isn't programmed adequately, they fall into "does not compute" mode, and deflect the conversation elsewhere.

"Hey, I know we're talking about the pink elephant in the room right now, but you've asked me a question for which I was unprepared. So, if you look over there you'll see that there's a giraffe. Now, let's talk about giraffes instead. According to the book of..." :hihi:

Uh... well, er... no.

The more people with money, the better the quality of living.

Money? I say it is how well people treat each other rich or poor, that makes for a better quality of life.
There's a couple of seriously white trailer parks in your neck o' the woods that'll blow your assumption right out of the water.
Pure Racism.

I've no mood to get involved in a discussion of your race views, and whatever it is, I've heard them all. I'm from South Africa, the country that invented millions of imaginary reasons to support your claim, and believe you me - we have heard all possible arguments pro and con, from both sides of the spectrum. But take it from me, the above statement is simply flat-out wrong.
South Africa?

Here is a black mans opinion on South Africa:

There's no longer apartheid and there's black rule in South Africa, but what's the story there now?

http://capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1376

The only reason I've even opened this thread is because this specific posting of yours was reported. I don't see the relevance to the topic.
Ya Gee what was I thinking?

It is just so crazy of me to believe that somehow the race of a community could have any bearing on there quality of life.

Hmmm...

While stereotypes tend to be based on fact they are not absolutes. If you want to make an argument for segragation or race supremacy then bring it. I was just reading a collection of Malcolm X speaches so I am game. But don't do it by dropping bombs and running. Malcolm did not approve of that and neither do I.

Or perhaps you just have a sense of humor. If that is your angle you need to take better aim at the funny bone.

Bill

In the Los Angeles Jail system blacks and hispanics are seperated by race, do you agree with this policy?

L.A. County Jail in Lockdown After Race Riots

Most of the L.A. County Jail System Is in Lockdown After Riots Between Black and Hispanic Inmates

Most of Los Angeles County's jail system was on lockdown Monday after fighting broke out between blacks and Hispanics at two jails over the weekend. One inmate died in the fighting, and more than 100 others were injured.

Black and Hispanic inmates at the North County Correctional Facility were segregated Saturday after the fighting broke out among 1,800 to 2,000 inmates and a black inmate was killed. Craton said the inmates were still separated early Monday.

Normally, authorities can't segregate prisoners based on race or ethnicity, but legal advisers said it can be done in emergency situations, said Sam Jones, chief custody officer of the county jail system.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/wireStory?id=1584915&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

In the Los Angeles Jail system...

L.A. County Jail...

Most of the L.A. County Jail System...

Most of Los Angeles County's jail system...

Black and Hispanic inmates at the North County Correctional Facility...

Normally, authorities can't segregate prisoners based on race or ethnicity, but legal advisers said it can be done in emergency situations, said Sam Jones, chief custody officer of the county jail system.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/wireStory?id=1584915&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

Are you saying that prison life can be used as an analogy for all of society?

Bill

In the Los Angeles Jail system blacks and hispanics are seperated by race, do you agree with this policy?

No. I think jails are stupid. Punishment just motivates people how to get away with things, not to avoid doing them.

Let me ask again, though... How is this relevant to the current thread?