Science Forums

Utah: what happened?

InfiniteNow

A thread on the existence of a higher power brought in some information about the US state of Utah, and I wanted to start this thread instead of asking there...

Example: As an individual, I live in a society/state founded by and largely

(60%) dominated by Mormons.

(81% of Utah individuals are Christians.)

Not only is it considered a highly
religious society
/state, but it has been ranked in the top 10 best society/states for an
individual
to live in. ie...

Utah Ranks 3rd Healthiest in Nation

Entrepreneurship and Small Business - Utah ranked 7th

Utah Ranked Best Financial Steward in U.S.

Provo/Orem Utah Ranked Number 1 Secure Location

Utah Ranked 9th Most Technology-Friendly State

Utah has the nation's highest rate of adult volunteers

Utah Ranks 6th for "Economic Freedom"

Utah is Number 3 in Women-Owned Business Growth

Utah ranks 9th for Quality Healthcare

etc...etc...etc....

I was so tempted to attack these points, but found myself more curious as I pondered them more. Those are some good numbers indeed. Why do you think there is such a negative perception of Utah by so many people? Like it's a really scary place, a state-wide cult where the average family size is on the order of 62 children... I know the information is skewed a bit, but why do you think that is so? Why do mormons give so many people the heebee jeebees?

Why do you think there is such a negative perception of Utah by so many people? Like it's a really scary place, a state-wide cult where the average family size is on the order of 62 children... I know the information is skewed a bit, but why do you think that is so? Why do mormons give so many people the heebee jeebees?

___The first thing I think of when I hear/read "Utah" is geology & so my impression is positive.

___I get the same heebee jeebees from these folks as I do from any folks who follow some writings claiming voices & apparitions of god or his (her?:) ) sales reps :) beamed in to chat with them & tell 'em how to run things. :eek:

___Angel's Rest in Zion Canyon Utah is a narrow jut of ruddy sandstone dropping over 1,000 feet straight down sheer walls on three sides. Before the mormans drove out the native americans, the native americans had already forgotten the Anasazi who occupied Utah before them.;)

Originally posted by InfiniteNow Why do mormons give so many people the heebee jeebees?

LMAO!!!!....thank you InfiniteNow. Though I posted the above to Reibu with an entirely different goal and context in mind, the direction you took with it is interesting (and amusing to myself) indeed. I'll wait for some replies before I list my reasons for "ex-communicating" myself from the church 20 years ago.

Why do mormons give so many people the heebee jeebees?

It's the holy underwear. :)

Seriosly, why is Utah so great? I can hazard a guess.

It's not very crowded, relative income is high, strong sense of community, and established family structure.

It wouldn't matter if you created a state full of Devil Worshipping Lesbians, if you had those four things, you'd have a good state. I think. Anyway.

For what my pagan opinion is worth.

TFS

[no offense to any Devil Worshipping Lesbians in the crowd... I kid, I kid.]

It's the holy underwear. :eek:

It wouldn't matter if you created a state full of Devil Worshipping Lesbians, if you had those four things, you'd have a good state. I think. Anyway.

I don't know about you, but I think that even without those four things, a state full of devil worshipping lesbians would be pretty righteous and I'd move there just for the experience of all. It'd be a non-stop party! :)

However, I was actually looking at "why the negative connotations," more than "why is Utah doin' so darn great?"

I was so tempted to attack these points, but found myself more curious as I pondered them more. Those are some good numbers indeed. Why do you think there is such a negative perception of Utah by so many people? Like it's a really scary place, a state-wide cult where the average family size is on the order of 62 children... I know the information is skewed a bit, but why do you think that is so? Why do mormons give so many people the heebee jeebees?

I don't like utah because I associate bording school/ wilderness camps with that state. blehhh.

but I don't really have any problems with mormons. I've never been religious... but I think some people need it to keep them sane. to each his own.

My wife was baptised as a Mormon at 16. Today she practices Wicca with her friends on all the pagan high holy days. Which one of these facts should give me the biggest heebee-geebees?

Bill

she's a wiccan! :)

that must be a fun coexisting universe the two of you guys observe as One at moments.

The main reason I feel there are negative connotations surrounding Utah is clearly as you suggested InfiniteNow, that Mormonism is widely regarded as a Cult. For myself, Cult associations often bring back memories like that of the Johnstown mass suicide by another religious cult "Temple Church."

The thought that a "religious cult" with such a huge following, 1,246,000, members in Utah, would most likely give many the "heebee-jeebee's", including myself had I not been born and raised here.

On a side note, living in Vegas for 8 years, I met alot more people that gave me the heebee's then I could account for here in Utah.

The main reason I feel there are negative connotations surrounding Utah is clearly as you suggested InfiniteNow, that Mormonism is widely regarded as a Cult. For myself, Cult associations often bring back memories like that of the Johnstown mass suicide by another religious cult "Temple Church."

Which makes me think of Boerseun's recent WTF?!? thread...

Aren't all religions basically a cult? Just some are less invasive than others... I don't know... I've met mormons, and I guess they are just like anything/anybody else in that my perception of them depends on the person. Some good/some bad... some smart/some not... I just don't tend to hear too many good things about mormons in general conversation, unless that conversation happens to be with a currently practicing mormon. :)

I'm not trying to be "cool".

I thought this is "The place to discuss psychology, political science, economics, education and law - among other things"?

Hello J.B.

Yes, this is a forum for open scientific discussion. Your post, however, came across as bigotted and as a generalization against an entire group of people, an incorrect one at that. Besides that, it seemed to have no bearing on the topic of the thread. I will not stand for ignorant and hateful comments, hence my critique of your post. If your intent was misunderstood, then please use this opportunity to clarify your post:

The more white people, the better the quality of living.

...and how it applies to this discussion.