Science Forums

Quirky Science Facts!

Boerseun

Honey does, however, crystalize if any foreign substances... even a speck of something, gets introduced. It's still edible, but not as good.

Honey is one of the best things for a diabetic experiencing low blood sugar. It's pretty much already been digested by the bees, so gets into the body's system much more quickly, and it is a lasting source of energy, not just a spike like that delivered by a candy bar.

Honey is nectar of the gods... I mean, uhmm... of the bees. :)

Guest chendoh

In 1944 an atom bomb was accidentally detonated in Stanley Hall. UC Berkeley, Ca.

you can't be serious!

I saw that in Berkeley Science Review....am still waiting for conformation

If no conformation by sunday, 031206.....will withdraw

After exhaustive research, I will have to withdraw this 'fact'. The closest I can come to verification, is…..

In1943, UC officially takes over operation of the government laboratory at Los Alamos, N.M., that is continuing the work of Berkeley faculty and others in the development of the atomic bomb. Berkeley physics professor J. Robert Oppenheimer, who led earlier LeConte Hall discussions about the bomb, is the director.

So technically, I could say it did happen in a UC Berkley Lab, but not in downtown Berkley

I withdraw

Guest chendoh
Water is the only compound that expands when it freezes.:hihi:

Expaanding on that thought:

Water is the only chemical compound that occurs naturally on Earth's surface in all three physical states: solid, liquid, and gas.

the only food that doesn't spoil is Honey. It has glucose oxidase, a substance that produces hydrogen peroxide, which kills bacteria.

this is true, but eventually the entire thing will crystalize.... but there is a way to un-crysatalize it. I'm pretty sure that all you have to do is heat it up on the stove to turn it back into fresh-looking honey.

Ferns have two distinct reproductive cycles: Sexual, and asexual (duh).

The mature fern will produce asexual spores which develop into completely different plants, called a thallus. They only grow to a few cm's in height, and their only job is to create sex cells. Once that's done, the sperm cells will swim towards the egg cells, through the layer of moisture that might cover the ground. The egg cell will then fall off and grow into the next asexual generation of spore-producing ferns!

The reason for this is that ferns are very ancient, and still closely related to their sea-living ancestors, where the sex cells had a medium (water) in which to paddle to the egg cells. Ferns have colonised the land well ahead of insects, the modern medium for transmitting sex cells between plants that have also given rise to the development of flowers!

This thread is like flipping randomly through an encyclopaedia! Cool!

The world has seen a consistent rise in IQ's over the last four decades of up to 20 points! The points have been adapted to get the average back to 100, which means the average human today (IQ 100) would have been a 120 back in 1960!

Although Pioneer 10's power source has long since died - it is still teaching us new things in a very odd happening. NASA contiued tracking the dish with arms probe and have found that it is slowing down! It is now 400,000km off course and slowing down at a rate of less than 100 millionths of a centimeter per second per second.

Guest chendoh

Do they know if it has passed, or approaching an object that could affect it gravitationally? :eek2:

I hope it does not have a tractor beam on it! :)

Humans more or less lack memory for the direction in which novel objects are rotating.

If I show you one object at a time on a screen, and repeat this for multiple objects, then test you... You will be able to pretty accurately remember the object type, color, size, if it was moving left/right, up/down, approaching/receding... but not which direction it was rotating (if it was spinning).

This thread is like flipping randomly through an encyclopaedia! Cool!

The world has seen a consistent rise in IQ's over the last four decades of up to 20 points! The points have been adapted to get the average back to 100, which means the average human today (IQ 100) would have been a 120 back in 1960!

Yes and No Boerseun..

They always calculate for a 100 median...

100 then average..

100 now average...

Same Bell Curve. We just like to think we're smarter now...:)

More Knowledge for sure...

But look around... WTF!?

A Cat sleeps 2/3 their life... :eek2: