Science Forums

Quirky Science Facts!

Boerseun

The tensile strength of materials is of course related to the strength of the bonds between the atoms that make up the material. If the material is not crystalline or amorphous, but is made of molecules, then you must also consider the strength of the inter-molecular bonds.

This raises the question: What is the strongest atomic bond in all of chemistry?

The answer is: The Carbon:Carbon atomic valence bond.

This goes a long way to explaining the durability of the DNA molecule. It also means that long fibers of Buckminsterfullerene ("nanotubes") are not only the strongest substance that we know of... they are the strongest possible substance, PERIOD!!!! :phones:

Guest chendoh

On March 13, 1781, William Herschel (1738-1822) discovered the planet Uranus.

A planet that is 19 times as far from the sun as we are, using only a 6-inch speculum-metal mirror.

A style of mirror that can be traced back as far as Sir Isaac Newton in 1670.

This mirror used polished metal as a reflecting surface instead of the silver, and now aluminum coatings/compounds we use today.

:hyper: :hihi: :ebaskbal: Tormond....:phones:Tormond.....:)Tormond :hyper: :hihi:

Convex polygons of more than 6 sides cannot tesselate a plane.:eek_big:

Sorry to suggest disagreement of any kind but...

What about an 8-sided polygon: 3 sides form the sides of a square, the remaining 5 sides, form a zig-zag of even proportions. Two duplicates of this octahedron would fit together, zig-zag to zig-zag, like teeth meshing together -- and form a rectangle of 2X1 proportions.

These rectangles would tesselate the plane.

Did I miss something???:evil:

On March 13, 1781, William Herschel (1738-1822)...using only a 6-inch speculum-metal mirror....

Speculum metal is a lead-based alloy somewhat similar to what we now call "solder". It is a soft metal, easily polished to a mirror finish, but it oxidizes rapidly. A speculum-metal mirror must be repolished about once a month to restore its mirror finish.

Bullfrogs taste like chicken.

Chameleons leave a bitter aftertaste.

Don't ask.

(posted by the big :evil:

Yeah and goose is bitter, possums greasy, bear smells(really foul),squirrel is ok, buffalo is tastie-beefalo is better, younger smaller fish smell and taste better than older larger ones, chitterlings (aka chitlins) are intestines, gritts are very tasty with bacon fat, prarie oysters are....well you really don't wanna know!!!!!!!!!!! (you don't wanna order lamb fries, or rocky mountain oysters either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

The Colorado river toad (or something like that) produces a venom that when collected and dried can be smoked to induce an intense spiritual experience that lasts no more than an hour. It contains a psychedelic alkaloid DMT as a DEFENSE MECHANISM!

So you're going to kill this giant frog, right,

and you get squirted with this crazy liquid

and the frog is 900 feet tall and that's when you forget he's there

and you focus on the colors.

By then the frog is gone.

Fact: If you know you are not bound by the physics that apply in this universe while you dream you are free to do ANYTHING.

Manipulate your universe

which is really ours and all I want to do is sleep...

I never want to get up.

ever.

I hate waking up.

Ahem, Scientifical Fact that's QuIrKy! ORBSYCLI Hates mornings

but loves them for the sunrise, their breakfasts,

and temperatures

as well as over-all feelings that summer

and morning mixed

Occur.

The biggest Blue Whale specimen ever found was 94' long, and weighed in at 174 tons! The Blue Whale is the biggest species ever to live on Earth, and that's including the dinosaurs!

In an average specimen weighing in at 150 tons, the heart alone would weigh more than 1,000 lbs! It is so big that a human could crawl through the aorta. The blue whale's heart only beats at around 5 to 6 times a minute, but it's pushing in excess of 14,000 pounds of blood around!

Not only are Blue Whales the biggest creatures ever, they're also the loudest currently around, with a call that measures 188 decibels. Compare this to a jet engine's 140 decibels! (...or a human's puny 70dB shout!)

Guest chendoh

Blue Whales; He's no slouch in the procreation dept. either.

With an average penis length of ten feet, and diameter of two feet, He Can produce over 400Gallons of sperm when he ejaculates, :eek:

Kinda makes me wonder how you should know what it tastes like...?

Well ocean water's extremely salty.

I think about how many organisms are out there living,

and then I think about how many millions of years they've been there displacing their waste, spilling their loads.

nice gay joke!!!

Guest chendoh

400 Gallons? Is this true? That's like close on 2,000 liters, or 2 tons! (approx).

Have you got links?

Hmmm...

:D I knew I couldn't put one over on you, :eek2: It's actually closer to 30, but still....better'en a tablespoon...there was a Band in the early 70's......10cc's

That link............

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/whale.asp

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Now that's quirky!!!:D

The Terracotta Army are thousands of life-sized figures in fired clay of soldiers who were to guard China's Emperor Qiu Shihuangdi after his death in the 3rd century BC. Discovered by peasants digging a well in 1974, at Xian, it is often referred to as the Eigth Wonder of the World! :eek2:

Okay - more History than Science, but still cool, okay?