Shot an arrow from a bow?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Shot an arrow from a bow?

• I have never shot an arrow from a bow
    • I have shot an arrow from a bow a few times
    • I own a bow & shoot arrows at targets
    • I hunt with and/or make bows & arrows

I have shot a few arrows with little success at accuracy. :singer:

I have always thought that if you could hunt with bows and arrows, than that shows more mettle as opposed to using guns. Like the Natives of yesteryear.

A good Crossbow has intrigued me, and I have thought about purchasing one.

I would if money wasn't so scarce around my pockets....

I have a healthy respect for archers. It is very challenging both physically and mentally;Carefully controlling a weapon of death!

I actually don't hunt with one anymore but I have shot more than a few times and I have made bows and arrows. As a youth I helped to found an archery club in our community. I also fabricated a bridge for my sling shot, a wrist rocket, so that I could use it to shoot fishing arrows. It seemed a good addition for the slingshot I keep in my camping gear as a survivalist implement.

Through a fantastic example of the unpredictability of competitive sports outcomes, although I was barely ranked among the top 10, I was the 1975 Virginia, USA under 18 indoor freestyle archery champion. :cup: :)

I was also an avid bow hunter, and a part time employee of the sporting good store that sponsored my competitive archery. (even for the under 18 tour, serious competitive archery is expensive!)

I haven’t done serious archery since 1979, and no longer own a bow (or any other projectile weapon). I’ve good memories of my teenage experience with them, though.

Thats really Awesome CraigD!! :cup:

I'm sure archery would be like riding a bike for you.

Archery was a highly prized skill before the advent of guns.

It takes patience, concentration, skill, muscular strength endurance, and from what I hear, a lot of practice....

Dust off those trophies or ribbons or memories....

Used bows many times, more times to shoot arrows then start fires, wont claim to be any good as i havent shot an arrow in a few years... lying, i have tested my friends new pulley and sight system 2 weeks ago with one new carbon fiber arrow from about 15-20 yards... (... yeah it was hard to miss... dead center, just a touch high, the lowest fiber aim point is set to something like 30 yards and he didnt tell me that, so i had to guess :cup: )

Growing up we had an archery range set up in the barn that we would mess with during the winter months. I was OK at it, but other interests took over.

A friends first experience with shooting a bow occured in gym class when she was about 15. She pulled back the string, aimed at the target and thwap!

When she could see again, she was laying on the ground with classmates gathered around her laughing. As she let go of the string, her nipples were in the line of fire and took the full force of the string.

Nipples bruise very badly under these conditions.

PS. She missed the target and was excused from archery.

___My Mother once took archery class & suffered her own string injury. By all accounts (well, just hers) the string cleanly missed her nipples only to make contact with the inside of her arm at the elbow and not leave the skin till reaching her wrist. It left the largest contiguous most varied color bruise I had ever seen & a deep respect for the toughness of my Mother when she returned to the very next class. It is her bow I stilll have & shoot occasionally; a 30 pound recurved target bow.:Waldo:

It has been hovering there... each time I click on the Forum Index and the poll just kind of flash before me. It is alive! It is prompting me to write (or type) something about archery! lol

I have no idea what a bow and an arrow is until I was about six, when my parents brought me to a field to watch a competition. That was an archery competition. I was immediately fallen for the participants’ steady aim and their accurate shots: sexy, in other words. My parents knew this and talked me into an archery course. But I was shy. And for this reason I stayed away from this sport. Then, it was years later one day I thought of giving it a try. So, with the bow in a hand and an arrow in another… I felt nothing. I was quaking. Maybe, I made a mistake of releasing the arrow without taking aim. The arrow shot forward, landing harmlessly somewhere in the grass, and I hurt myself.

I love archery. But it hates me.

• 1 month later...

I get a Word-a-Day mailing, and this week's theme is archery. I thought it would be nice to share the meat of them here. This is today's:

toxophilite (tok-SOF-uh-lyt) noun

One who is fond of or expert at archery.

[Coined by Roger Ascham (1515-1568), scholar and writer, as a proper name and the title of his book Toxophilus, from Greek toxon (bow) + -philo (loving).]

Roger Ascham was the tutor for teenager Elizabeth, future Queen Elizabeth I.

His book Toxophilus was the first book on archery in English. It was a treatise on archery but it was also an argument for writing in the vernacular: in English. You could say he shot two birds with one arrow.

-Anu Garg (gargATwordsmith.org)

"In uncertain times, it makes sense to have as many strings to your bow as a well-provisioned fiddler or a prudent toxophilite."

EK; Bibliophile; The Guardian (London, UK); Apr 17, 2004.