Science Forums

Is George W Bush a complete moron ?

clapstyx

In my darker, more conspiracy prone moments, I think that the Republican party impeached Clinton over lying about his wang not because they really cared but because they wanted to 'inoculate' the next (Republican) president against being impeached for something more heinous. If you impeach George W. Bush it looks like tit-for-tat about the Clinton impeachment.

Then I remember why I don't believe in conspiracies - because it would require competence on the part of government officials - something that they rarely demonstrate.

Besides, I'm not sure that ol'Bush would leave if they did impeach him. He's already said that he would simply not abide by troop withdrawal legislation. His signing statements have indicated that he will ignore the torture ban.

I'm not sure that pressing for impeachment (which there simply AREN'T enough votes for) wouldn't provoke a constitutional crisis of unparalleled proportions. Like what if he simply refuses to cooperate at all due to 'executive privilege?' And besides, wouldn't that make Dick Cheney the president. :)

I think the better (although still bad solution) is simply to wait out the Bush Presidency. I find it hard to believe, even of George W. Bush, who I hold in very low regard that he would suspend elections, or nullify results, or anything quite so blatantly... evil.

But then, maybe that's how things like bloodless coups happen.

TFS

Does he have the power to do so? :)

It doesn't matter. He is guilty as long as someone can hypothesize the possibility. I know that TFS does not do that, and I am not suggesting it, but much of the criticism that I hear about the government in general is based that way. It is amazing how "issues" get created.

Bill

Does he have the power to do so?

He doesn't. But, he also doesn't have the power to "defy" troop withdrawal legislation or to "interpret" torture bans to sometimes allow torture. (Even though he hasn't ACTUALLY done those things, just expressed his intention to do so - which I suppose he does have the "power" to state that he's not interested in obeying the law.)

Doing some kind of election suspension is totally beyond the pale, even for George W. Bush. It's totally illegal, and there's not ANY justification for it.

TFS

He doesn't. But, he also doesn't have the power to "defy" troop withdrawal legislation or to "interpret" torture bans to sometimes allow torture. (Even though he hasn't ACTUALLY done those things, just expressed his intention to do so - which I suppose he does have the "power" to state that he's not interested in obeying the law.)

Doing some kind of election suspension is totally beyond the pale, even for George W. Bush. It's totally illegal, and there's not ANY justification for it.

TFS

Nor is there any precedent for it. Even during the Civil War we held elections.

Bill

• 7 months later...

An Australian opinion

YOU MIGHT have seen "Deadeye Dick" Cheney wandering around the Middle East again the other day, trotting out the usual cliches to anyone who would listen. Great progress being made … encouraging developments … peace process on track, etc. The capacity of the Bush Administration for self-delusion is phenomenal.

With the American economy in meltdown and Wall Street in a state of panic, Bush has now scored a quadrella achieved by no other American president.

First, there was his failure to protect the United States from the attack on the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon, despite a blizzard of warnings from the CIA and others. Warnings headlined, "Bin Laden ready to strike at any time", and so on. Not all that hard to understand, really, although apparently beyond the comprehension of Condoleezza Rice when she was national security adviser. While we are on the subject, has there ever been a worse secretary of state than Condi? Irrelevant, uncomprehending, she lurches from embarrassment to disaster.

Then there was the "shock and awe" invasion of Iraq; Bush's demented taunt to al-Qaeda to "bring it on"; and the now infamous "mission accomplished" boast on the deck of an aircraft carrier. Cheney's mad optimism notwithstanding, the war has no end in sight.

Third, there was the staggering incompetence of Bush's response to Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. "Yer doin' a great job, Brownie."

Finally, we have the recession brought on by the sub-prime loans disaster, with the shock waves it has sent around the world. The Bushies now have a peerless record of abject failure at home and abroad. Surely the American people cannot send another Republican to the Oval Office, even one as relatively sane as John McCain.

It might be a bit unfair to hold Bush entirely responsible for the financial crisis. A lot of the credit must go to the greed and stupidity of the banking titans, with their squillion-dollar performance bonuses and the like. I know almost nothing about finance, high or low, but plain common sense would suggest it's not a good idea to lend money to people who have no hope of paying it back.

Not that I suppose the titans are too worried. Even as their companies sink beneath them, they will have their golden parachutes neatly tied up, we can be sure of that.

Mysteries may remain, but it's good to finally find HMAS Sydney - Opinion

space is not the answer. we must deal with the problem here on earth. forests can grow back, but mining of minerals and changing the earths topography can lead to permanent weather changes. it is man's nature not to

alter his exploitation of the earth until forced to do so by calamitous circumstances. the only chance we have is to control the earth's population, we may already have too many people on earth to sustain over the next 500 years. we are not in balance with the earth's ability to regenerate and there is no evidence that anyone is aware or cares.

this is not Geoge Bush's problem, it is everyones problem. if you want to be an activist, be active about something that makes sense.

Yes, the population problem is a big factor in our global problems.

Bush has adopted the popes dogma with his 'faith' doctrine of being an anti-abortion advocate and also opposed to 'volentary euthanasia'.

This adds to the population problem.

His IQ is supposed to be 94. This would have disqualified him from serving in the Air National Gaurd during the Vietnan War. During WWII, one had to have an IQ of 100 to get into the Army Air Force.

I think these restrictions would have applied to the Texas Air NG as well.

I have been supporting 'abortion' because it occurs in Nature.

The land carnivores all commit 'post' abortions that are most commonly commited by the males.

In the oceans and seas, the food chain is another example of post abortions where the newborns are consumed as food in very large numbers.

I presume that this maintained a balance between the species to some degree.

Mike C

His [George W Bush] IQ is supposed to be 94.
What’s your source for this, Mike? :(

I’ve never seen a Stanford-Binet or other IQ score published for Bush. As I cited in post #17, Bush’s SAT scores, which have been published and are considered reliable. Although the correlation of SAT to SB IQ score is weak, this suggests Bush’s IQ is 125 (on a 15 SD SB IQ scale), placing him in the 95th percentile. (source: Pre-Recentering SAT to IQ Estimator)

Personally, I don’t believe Bush is, effectively, very smart, but I’ve seen no credible evidence, and several hoax claims (eg: the “Lovenstein Institute report”), that he is sub-average.

I believe this perception may have worked to his advantage, and possibly been promoted by his political staff and backers, to increase his popularity among a voter base that mistrusts usually intelligent people, and cause his opponents to “misunderestimate” his personal political abilities.

What’s your source for this, Mike? :phones:

I’ve never seen a Stanford-Binet or other IQ score published for Bush. As I cited in post #17, Bush’s SAT scores, which have been published and are considered reliable. Although the SAT to SB IQ score is weak, this suggests Bush’s IQ is 125 (on a 15 SD SB IQ scale), placing him in the 95th percentile. (source: Pre-Recentering SAT to IQ Estimator)

Personally, I don’t believe Bush is, effectively, very smart, but I’ve seen no credible evidence, and several hoax claims (eg: the “Lovenstein Institute report”), that he is sub-average.

I believe this perception may have worked to his advantage, and possibly been promoted by his political staff and backers, to increase his popularity among a voter base that mistrusts usually intelligent people, and cause his opponents to “misunderestimate” his personal political abilities.

Well, like I said, I do not remember all sources for what I read but this I got from a news source that said his IQ was 94 at the time he was attending Yale University.

I am completely honest. So if that was not accurate, than the source was wrong.

I also got bits of news that he was an alchoholic.

So he straightened himself out and as a result, became a 'born again Christian'.

That must have been the reason he was promoting the 'faith' doctrine.

Anyway, he does not impress me as being intelligent.

I recall that he was involved in some oil ventures while his father was president, but they all turned out to be failures.

So any news about his IQ, you simply have to question the source.

Clinton was a very intelligent person. He had attended Oxford University

that is a highly rated university.

Mike C

Well, like I said, I do not remember all sources for what I read but this I got from a news source that said his IQ was 94 at the time he was attending Yale University.

I am completely honest. So if that was not accurate, than the source was wrong.

As the snopes article and others explain, claims of a sub-average intelligence test score for G. W. Bush are not merely inaccurate, but are intentional hoaxes. (although the IQ score reported is usually 91, not 94).

As the article notes, you are not alone in being misinformed by this hoax. At least two major newspapers, the [London] Guardian and the [New Zealand] Southland Times, reported it as fact in 2001. Since 2001, the story has been promoted by this hoax website, which includes a helpful “send this to a friend” email link.

This illustrates one of the important purposes of hypography’s rule about backing up claims with links and references: failing to do so often makes the poster, and hypography, an unwitting party to spreading hoaxes.

As the snopes article and others explain, claims of a sub-average intelligence test score for G. W. Bush are not merely inaccurate, but are intentional hoaxes. (although the IQ score reported is usually 91, not 94).

As the article notes, you are not alone in being misinformed by this hoax. At least two major newspapers, the [London] Guardian and the [New Zealand] Southland Times, reported it as fact in 2001. Since 2001, the story has been promoted by this hoax website, which includes a helpful “send this to a friend” email link.

This illustrates one of the important purposes of hypography’s rule about backing up claims with links and references: failing to do so often makes the poster, and hypography, an unwitting party to spreading hoaxes.

Well, can you then provide the true information about GW and your source?

Mike C

Well, can you then provide the true information about GW and your source?
My previous posts linked to their sources. However the earliest one, post #17, is nearly 3 years old, and archive.org has removed a page at the request of the original site owner (via its robots.txt file), breaking the link. That’s not supposed to happen often with archive.org, rather defeating its mission and purpose, and is rather disturbing. :shrug:

this newer page contains links to the actual Yale transcript that is, I believe, the source of most reports of Bush’s SAT scores (as well as reports of a mediocre, 75% undergraduate grade average), and a link to a page offering the needed conversion between 1960s and modern SAT scores and IQ scores.

One of the several conclusions on that page estimate Bush’s IQ as 129, the other, 125.

Combined with the snopes article and others providing fairly precise histories of the “Bush’s IQ 91” hoax claim, I believe we can with confidence conclude that 1960s aptitude, achievement, and intelligence testing of G. W. Bush placed him in the upper 5th percentile, not the lower 35th or 28th percentile, as an 15 standard deviation IQ score of 94 or 91 would.

I personally strongly disagree with most of the major social and political ideas and policies expressed by Bush, his staff, and his supporters, and believe that they have significantly harmed the people of the US and the world. However, the claim that G.W. Bush is simply stupid doesn’t withstand even cursory scrutiny, and should not IMHO be defended or repeated for other than humorous purposes. :eek_big:

There are one of two options:

Either he is a complete dork,

or

he is not a complete dork.

The catch is that he's an elected dork (or not). Elected by popular vote, with universal suffrage.

Now, if he is an elected dork, what does that say about US society?

He is the picture seen when the United Stated holds a collective mirror up to its face.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooh F###!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought of it that way!!!!!!I'm so FKN screwed....Crap!......

Is it too late to defect?...Crap! how many people know I lived here?!?!?!?....

Fudge!Too friggin late!!!!:hihi: