Science Forums

Ticks

Queso

The other day i went running through a meadow without any mass produced clothes on.

A meadow that i now believe to be infested with ticks.

How do i know if im being eaten alive by ticks? Is it painful?

Its been about 3 days and there have been no real signs of anything down there in my foot region, so im assuming im allright but im just double checking....

The other day i went running through a meadow without any mass produced clothes on.

A meadow that i now believe to be infested with ticks.

How do i know if im being eaten alive by ticks? Is it painful?

Its been about 3 days and there have been no real signs of anything down there in my foot region, so im assuming im allright but im just double checking....

LOL... I didnt know if this was a serious post or not, but you probably reduced the chance of picking up ticks by running naked thru the meadow... unless you have hairy legs...

The most common ticks around here like to sit on top of grasses with their front feet up. When a person/dog/deer walks past, brushing the grass where the tick waits, these feet work like hooks and they grab onto the creature and begin to climb up.

There are also seasons where ticks are very common. Spring and early summer here. By August, their numbers have fallen dramatically.

Back of the knees, armpit area, back of the neck are areas to check. View your back via a mirror. Most are 1/8" or less in size and will not be the same color as your skin. Often they will look like a small mole. Smaller ones (such as the deer tick) are harder to find via running your fingers thru your hair.

ewww... theres alot of types of tick in california

http://entomology.ucdavis.edu/faculty/rbkimsey/caticks.html

Don't stress about ticks, Orby - if you haven't found any yet, you probably don't have any.

Here in Africa, ticks are a fact of everyday life - especially down here on the farm! But, hey - you can't let your life be dictated by a small little speck of crud with feet.

Besides - tickbite fever is a small price to pay for running through a field nekkid!

• 1 month later...

Ticks are really a pain in the ***!

I went camping w/ Grandpa

As we left after a few days, I felt this really weird Soft Lump on my head..:steering:

Turns out, some kinda' Tick was mooching of my brain blood!

Doctor pulled it out with tweezers..

Dude was Fat!

Good thing I didn't get Rocky Mtn. Spotted Fever or nuthin'...

MMMmmmmm... my head still itches.

Yeah, ticks are a pain allright. Red-hot butterknives (which you should have in supply, being a 'smoker' there Orby :steering:) are the best way to get them off since they don't like heat.

Most commaon places I know the little buggers like to hide are groin, knees, armpits, back of the head/neck...any place with high bloodflow near the surface really.

One of my friends just found out that she's got Lyme disease that's been causing awful and mysterious symptoms for the past year. She never had any obvious tick bites or the infamous "ring around the bite" that's supposed to indicate you got it. She's now facing a six month regimen of massive antibiotics to get rid of it. Very unpleasant.

You're wise to be paranoid about this sort of thing...

Cautiously,

Buffy

no one knows how they breathe while plunging their face into your flesh?
I don’t think there’s any great mystery about how ticks breath, whether attached to a host or not.

Although some relatives of the tick – spiders and scorpions – have lungs of a sort, ticks don’t. Like most arthropods, they breath through spiracles on the sides of their abdomen.