Science Forums

What don't we know?

Nammy

I recently came across this rather old issue - http://www.sciencemag.org/sciext/125th/

and isn't it surprising that most of these questions have ambiguous answers? I was left with a feeling of hopelessness...it is so frustrating that the fundamental questions still have no/vague answers and that we are still in the dark ages :cup:

I think these questions are very exciting! Just because we haven't found the definitive answers to them yet, doesn't mean that we never will. While we remain curious and keep on questioning and debating, science will progress. And think of all the fascinating questions we have answered over the years.

We are by no means in the dark ages. I agree with Chacmool. Those are extremely interesting questions. Some of them will likely remain unanswered forever. By trying to answer these fundamental issues we find solutions for other questions. Cosmology is not only about finding answers, but just as much it is about looking for them and finding the best explanation for what we observe in the universe. Likewise, most science is done out of curiosity for the unexplained. You should buy the issue - it is a great read!

We are by no means in the dark ages. I agree with Chacmool. Those are extremely interesting questions. Some of them will likely remain unanswered forever. By trying to answer these fundamental issues we find solutions for other questions. Cosmology is not only about finding answers, but just as much it is about looking for them and finding the best explanation for what we observe in the universe. Likewise, most science is done out of curiosity for the unexplained. You should buy the issue - it is a great read!

ACTUALLY for every question for which science has some statistical curve fitting answer to the question, science finds at least two more new questions it has not answered yet!

so you have your microwave ovens and your MTV but the killing and starving and brutality still go on, science and its "desirable" things just

adding to the mess.

yes we are by no means in the dark ages but in the last times. Tormod if i can be so presumptuous; do you believe in the scientific theory of the BIG BANG as the creation point for our Universe? If so, then everything that exists was sometime contained in a spatial extent of much less a pea's volume correct? HA HA HA, scientists are so smart are not they? smart comedians. and how about your electron? the undressed model has no dimensions yet carries charge, mass, and spin [which incidentally can only be measured to a certain "statistical certainty"] and THAT REALLY is what the electron is? HA HA HA! need i go on! science sure is funny and many scientists seem to have great faith at least on the surface of just what

they are talking about. Seems to me anyways and God knows! :cup:

Call me dumb-but I wanted an answer to some of the basic questions and my quest led me to the science website. I thought I had finally found a place that could answer my questions but the answers were all-maybe/we don't know yet..etc. This is what disappointed me, of course, what we have acheived is wonderful but it would be comforting if the common questions could be answered, too.

Kirk has increased my discomfort by addressing such issues, are these theories only hypothetical? Then why are we feeding the masses with theories such as the BIG BANG as an answer? So many people just buy any theory without judging it for themselves, scientists should be careful about what they are talking about.

Call me dumb-but I wanted an answer to some of the basic questions and my quest led me to the science website. I thought I had finally found a place that could answer my questions but the answers were all-maybe/we don't know yet..etc. This is what disappointed me, of course, what we have acheived is wonderful but it would be comforting if the common questions could be answered, too.

The list of questions you posted are supposed to be challenges that science is facing in the upcoming years. If people had the answers, they wouldn't be challenges. Consider that a lot of the questions on that site aren't particularly fundamental (when does a skin cell become a nerve cell?) While some are probably more common (what is the biological basis of conciousness?, what is the universe made of?). We have come a long way in a fairly short amount of time, but there is always more to learn.

-Will

The way I see it, these questions can not be answered with existing theory because it lacks something. New alternatives are going to be required. But some theory, like the earth's iron core, have become dogma creating the illusion that any alternative has to be wrong. This prevents the brain storming and the trial balloons that may lead to the answers.

What is the biological basis of conscioussness?!! That makes about as much sense as what is Santa claus's real address? Conscioussness is the basis of biology, not vice-versa. There are some questions that scince will not address, let alone answer. But it does a great job with those areas limited to physical reality.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe I can answer any question, now if the answer is right or wrong is another story, but what hell, I will give my opinion to each question. Feel free to prove me wrong. Oh and note that I did not follow the links where the questions were asked, these are my thoughts.

> What Is the Universe Made Of?

Uniformed Energy.

> What is the Biological Basis of Consciousness?

Sync with previous stored memories created a personality, the arrangement of the brain (the strands where neurons travel through) is what builds the difference and creates unique personalities which created as consciousness...Ask me to explain more later

> Why Do Humans Have So Few Genes?

That all they need, the less genes the less time it takes for them all to change, thus helping us evolve faster. Unlike butterflies who have 200 something, they haven't changed in millennia’s

> To What Extent Are Genetic Variation and Personal Health Linked?

. . . What? I am confused.

> Can the Laws of Physics Be Unified?

Of course. That is of course the goal of most scientist today, to unify all laws to create unified theory, which seems simple, just make one law the mentions everything. Easier said than done.

> How Much Can Human Life Span Be Extended?

as long as the DNA can last, how long did the DNA last in dinosaurs?

> What Controls Organ Regeneration?

Cell priorities. Evolution history.

> How Can a Skin Cell Become a Nerve Cell?

By rearranging the DNA to reproduce into nerve structures. Which kind of seems impossible, but science nothing is ever impossible.

> How Does a Single Somatic Cell Become a Whole Plant?

Mitosis....?

> How Does Earth's Interior Work?

....it rotates....its has a bunch of rocks, what do you mean how it works?

> Are We Alone in the Universe?

NO. 'Nough said.

> How and Where Did Life on Earth Arise?

On that one continent, Pandora or something, i don't remember, how? A single cell evolved into multiple cells and grew aware of itself. Now we got animals. Ask for details if you care.

> What Determines Species Diversity?

Where they evolved.

> What Genetic Changes Made Us Uniquely Human?

Best arrangement that can be done with our current bodies. As all the previous human evolution stages failed. Well so will we, oh well/.

> How Are Memories Stored and Retrieved?

Same as in a computer. Place in one place of the brain where neurons go back and forth to sync with the old info which is added into nucleus of the nerve cells in the brain.....

> How Did Cooperative Behavior Evolve?

Depending on others to survived worked better than not getting help from others.

> How Will Big Pictures Emerge from a Sea of Biological Data?

Huh?

> How Far Can We Push Chemical Self-Assembly?

As far as we can rearrange atoms without changing their properties...somehow...

> What Are the Limits of Conventional Computing?

Huh?

> Can We Selectively Shut Off Immune Responses?

Yea...if the brain adopts the function inside the virus's DNA of HIV. I don't see why you would do that.

> Do Deeper Principles Underlie Quantum Uncertainty and Nonlocality?

In normal english....?

> Is an Effective HIV Vaccine Feasible?

Yup.

> How Hot Will the Greenhouse World Be?

Look at Venus.

> What Can Replace Cheap Oil -- and When?

Electricity, self generating power. When? . . . in the future...

> Will Malthus Continue to Be Wrong?

Yes. Who is Malthus?

Oh and yes, I am back!

• 2 weeks later...
Why do the laws of nature even exist is a mystery to me.

There are no "Laws" of nature. There! Feel better now?

No. Really. There are no "Laws". There is just Nature or the natural world. The Universe, the Cosmos, whatever you want to call it. That's it. Nature. End of Story.

Oh...! You want to understand Nature. Well that's different. To understand Nature, you must observe Nature. After you (and millions of others) observe long enough, you will notice "patterns" in this behavior. Like,... uh,... if you drop something heavy, it will fall down. If you push against something hard enough, it will fall over. If you add this mineral to that solution, bubbles will form. If you heat water hot enough, it will bubble and release steam. And so on and so on for about 3,832 volumes, with 1,000 pages in each volume.

So, what shall we call all these "patterns", these repeating sequences of cause and effect, these apparent "rules", many of which appear to never have exceptions.

Well, just to make it easy, let's give them all a short name. Let's call em, "Laws", even though they aren't really. No one legislated them or debated them or reached them by compromise (and bribery). They just are descriptions of how Nature behaves. Yeah. We'll call em "Laws".

• 3 weeks later...

:eek: ;)

I believe I can answer any question, now if the answer is right or wrong is another story, but what hell, I will give my opinion to each question. Feel free to prove me wrong. Oh and note that I did not follow the links where the questions were asked, these are my thoughts.

> What Is the Universe Made Of?

Uniformed Energy.

> What is the Biological Basis of Consciousness?

Sync with previous stored memories created a personality, the arrangement of the brain (the strands where neurons travel through) is what builds the difference and creates unique personalities which created as consciousness...Ask me to explain more later

> Why Do Humans Have So Few Genes?

That all they need, the less genes the less time it takes for them all to change, thus helping us evolve faster. Unlike butterflies who have 200 something, they haven't changed in millennia’s

> To What Extent Are Genetic Variation and Personal Health Linked?

. . . What? I am confused.

> Can the Laws of Physics Be Unified?

Of course. That is of course the goal of most scientist today, to unify all laws to create unified theory, which seems simple, just make one law the mentions everything. Easier said than done.

> How Much Can Human Life Span Be Extended?

as long as the DNA can last, how long did the DNA last in dinosaurs?

> What Controls Organ Regeneration?

Cell priorities. Evolution history.

> How Can a Skin Cell Become a Nerve Cell?

By rearranging the DNA to reproduce into nerve structures. Which kind of seems impossible, but science nothing is ever impossible.

> How Does a Single Somatic Cell Become a Whole Plant?

Mitosis....?

> How Does Earth's Interior Work?

....it rotates....its has a bunch of rocks, what do you mean how it works?

> Are We Alone in the Universe?

NO. 'Nough said.

> How and Where Did Life on Earth Arise?

On that one continent, Pandora or something, i don't remember, how? A single cell evolved into multiple cells and grew aware of itself. Now we got animals. Ask for details if you care.

> What Determines Species Diversity?

Where they evolved.

> What Genetic Changes Made Us Uniquely Human?

Best arrangement that can be done with our current bodies. As all the previous human evolution stages failed. Well so will we, oh well/.

> How Are Memories Stored and Retrieved?

Same as in a computer. Place in one place of the brain where neurons go back and forth to sync with the old info which is added into nucleus of the nerve cells in the brain.....

> How Did Cooperative Behavior Evolve?

Depending on others to survived worked better than not getting help from others.

> How Will Big Pictures Emerge from a Sea of Biological Data?

Huh?

> How Far Can We Push Chemical Self-Assembly?

As far as we can rearrange atoms without changing their properties...somehow...

> What Are the Limits of Conventional Computing?

Huh?

> Can We Selectively Shut Off Immune Responses?

Yea...if the brain adopts the function inside the virus's DNA of HIV. I don't see why you would do that.

> Do Deeper Principles Underlie Quantum Uncertainty and Nonlocality?

In normal english....?

> Is an Effective HIV Vaccine Feasible?

Yup.

> How Hot Will the Greenhouse World Be?

Look at Venus.

> What Can Replace Cheap Oil -- and When?

Electricity, self generating power. When? . . . in the future...

> Will Malthus Continue to Be Wrong?

Yes. Who is Malthus?

Oh and yes, I am back!

... are people? goiing to actually read this all and even post more?

i give you the mobius strip as the answer to am i sexy!

DEFINITION OF SCIENCE

anyways please tell me how Science is NOT just a very imited domain set of items for each theory to be applied based on axioms that generates equations which were initially obtained from some type of curve fit to data in that limited domain set.

SCIENCE is therefore NOT a description of reality but merely a predictor of dynamics of what is actually seen by curve fitting equations obtained from measurements to data sets previously measured with NO guarentee that the next measurement will be COMPLETELY off the map!

i mean just what is happening to the Postulate? that the speed of light is constant in any reference frame lately?

And for any action there is an opposite and equal reaction . . . SOMETIMES!

We actually need the space shuttle! omg!:hihi: :)

...anyways please tell me how Science is NOT just a very limited domain set of items for each theory to be applied based on axioms that generates equations which were initially obtained from some type of curve fit to data in that limited domain set. SCIENCE is therefore NOT a description of reality but merely a predictor of dynamics of what is actually seen by curve fitting equations obtained from measurements to data sets previously measured with NO guarentee that the next measurement will be COMPLETELY off the map! I mean just what is happening to the Postulate that the speed of light is constant in any reference frame lately?...

Kirk,

let's start with a clean slate, okay? Your questions have so many assumptions behind them that it is hard to figure out what your problem is, let alone your questions.

Can we assume that the natural world exists? And that human beings exist? Okay, then we (human beings) observe the natural world. That is where it all starts. And then we ask,"why?" We ask, "is there any order, any cause and effect to all these phenomena we see around us?" "What is lightening, and what causes illness?" "What are those lights in the sky, and why do rocks fall to the earth?" ---and so on. This is where SCIENCE begins, and these are the kinds of questions that SCIENCE answers.

So, what did you expect? If this isn't enough for you, what DO you want SCIENC to be? A magic oracle? Something simple that everyone understands? SCIENCE works the way it works, because the world is the way the world is. Sorry. If you don't like SCIENCE, perhaps you should find a different world--not an easy task, for sure. But in this world, SCIENCE is a mirror of the way the world works. It not only is based on REALITY, it is the only thing in our intellectual realm that is based entirely on reality.

Sometimes, SCIENCE fits a curve to data. And yes, sometimes, we find data that is off our charts. So? You have a problem with that? If the mechanic fixes your car so you can drive it again, do you complain that he used wrenches to do it with????? That is the way we pursue understanding. We gather data, we hypothesize, we experiment, and sometimes we find that our prior understanding was too simple. Do you have an alternative?

• 2 weeks later...
Sometimes, SCIENCE fits a curve to data. And yes, sometimes, we find data that is off our charts. So? You have a problem with that? If the mechanic fixes your car so you can drive it again, do you complain that he used wrenches to do it with????? That is the way we pursue understanding. We gather data, we hypothesize, we experiment, and sometimes we find that our prior understanding was too simple. Do you have an alternative?

The problem originates when we start believing in SCIENCE as the ultimate truth, that is all set to replace the divine truth - we are so much accustomed to. The culprit is indeed our science education that leads children to believe that SCIENCE is the ultimate truth, it can answer any question, that well known scientists are like demigods.

My philosophy in Life: There is no ultimate truth, it is always a transitory.

The problem originates when we start believing in SCIENCE as the ultimate truth, that is all set to replace the divine truth - we are so much accustomed to. The culprit is indeed our science education that leads children to believe that SCIENCE is the ultimate truth, it can answer any question, that well known scientists are like demigods.

My philosophy in Life: There is no ultimate truth, it is always a transitory. There is always room for you and me to explore and find the next level.

Science is a best guess approximation at reality, and faulty theories are removed and no longer used once proven incorrect or a better theory replaces it.

Religion ever wrong? No, not so much. That'd cause one to go to a hot fiery place or become a leper or something.

If kids are taught the wrong thing in school, that is the fault of their teachers, not of the institution and practice of science.

It's sciences' willingness to state that it was wrong which makes it so right.

Absolutely!

Cheers. :shrug: