Science Forums

SO, if a tree fell in the woods...

Tarantism

I have been thinking about this: do sound waves only exist cause we have the senses to hear? to use the tree example, if a tree fell in the woods with nobody there to hear it, would it make a sound? after all, i dont think that rocks and sticks can hear. hypotheticly, lets say that there are other animals around either.

also, can our sense of hearing sometimes miss things, such as when someone turns to you and says "did you ehar that" and you didnt, could they have? could your brian just have missed it?

please, enlighten me.

it's kinda like trying to prove evolution, no one was there to see it happen. yet it did happen because here we are?

Weeeeell....most people (apart from Americans, mostly) are beyond the proof stage and have moved into the acceptance stage as far as evolution is concerned. It's not something that "happened" - it still happens.

also, what good is light if nothing could see it?

Since what we call light is just the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum, the REAL question :QuestionM is "What good is energy if we can't feel it".

Since what we call light is just the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum, the REAL question :QuestionM is "What good is energy if we can't feel it".

ahh but we can feel heat from light.

that makes me wonder about other energy forms and how our body FEELS them. say for instance, radio waves.

also imagine if we could see sound or hear light.

ahh but we can feel heat from light.

that makes me wonder about other energy forms and how our body FEELS them. say for instance, radio waves.

also imagine if we could see sound or hear light.

___Perhaps a better term than 'feel' is 'sense'. Trimtab makes the point of our limited sensorial spectrum very nicely in Synergetics. There is a lot that goes on beyond our natural & technological sensory abilities that we have yet to discover & explore. I 'feel' or 'hear' or 'sense' very low amplitude earthquakes that other do not (or cannot). :QuestionM

Weeeeell....most people (apart from Americans, mostly) are beyond the proof stage and have moved into the acceptance stage as far as evolution is concerned. It's not something that "happened" - it still happens.

enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

matthew 7:13