Science Forums

SO, if a tree fell in the woods...

Tarantism

I dont know how this falls under Astronomy and cosmology but anyway.. I would have to say yes it still makes a sound, but no you cant proove it - sorta like the Schrödinger's cat in a box if you dont observe it then the cat is both alive and dead... so the tree makes a sound but it doesnt :QuestionM something like that :eek2:

I think that it depends on how you define sound. Sound is simply a compression wave of air that shakes our eardrum. Now, is every compression wave sound? Or is sound the interpretation of that wave by the brain? I tend to think that every wave is sound, but I have met people who feel that the word sound refers only to the interpretation of it, and thus a tree falling in a forest would not be sound.

enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

matthew 7:13

The last chosen is the first to go. Matt something or other. Some versions call it a 'narrow' gate. If you get called but your in the forest listening for trees, do you still get to go? :QuestionM

I have been thinking about this: do sound waves only exist cause we have the senses to hear?

Howdy. I'm new here at Hypography so excuse me if I get off on the wrong foot. (Which foot would that be?)

Our senses exist to detect and monitor real physical processes in a real physical universe. In my opinion, it isn't the other way around. That is, the real physical processes, like light and sound waves do not exist because we have senses. Take X-rays or radio waves for example. We do not have senses to detect them. And yet they exist. As soon as we accidently set up experiments which were sensitive to them, there they were.

Pyrotex

if all mankind died, would the universe still exist ? stupid question. example of anthropomorphic egocentricity.

yea, in my opinion its stupid to think that, but if you believe that a god created the universe for man and only for man, then I guess you could reason that he would destroy everything if man ceased to exist, or just create man again. I think that if God created everything only for man, he would have created man first and said, hey, tell me what you want.

haha yes, finilly an argument...i agree with goku becuase when you are not looking at the things behind you dont they just become scrambled molecules, and then reform when we look around again? hrm im not sure, but i do believe a friend of mine told me that...therefore wouldnt sounds be the same way? with NOTHING around with the proper senses to hear the sound of a tree falling, would it even make noise?

upon reading more i think that the argument may rest someplace in the middle, where it would make a sound but nothin gwould hear it becuase nothing can...hmmm not sure yet. :evil:

haha yes, finilly an argument...i agree with goku becuase when you are not looking at the things behind you dont they just become scrambled molecules, and then reform when we look around again? hrm im not sure, but i do believe a friend of mine told me that...therefore wouldnt sounds be the same way? with NOTHING around with the proper senses to hear the sound of a tree falling, would it even make noise?

upon reading more i think that the argument may rest someplace in the middle, where it would make a sound but nothin gwould hear it becuase nothing can...hmmm not sure yet. :evil:

___The terms 'sounds' & 'noise' have their predicate in a sensing organ, or device if you will, i.e. an 'ear'. The tree makes a disturbance in the air which propogates as a wave regardless of whether an 'ear' is present or not. Strickly speaking, if no ears are there to hear, then there is no sound or noise. :eek:

___The terms 'sounds' & 'noise' have their predicate in a sensing organ, or device if you will, i.e. an 'ear'. The tree makes a disturbance in the air which propogates as a wave regardless of whether an 'ear' is present or not. Strickly speaking, if no ears are there to hear, then there is no sound or noise. :evil:

does that mean that you agree with me?

btw, i do believe that bike is on "the piper at the gates of dawn". i could be mistaken however.

___The terms 'sounds' & 'noise' have their predicate in a sensing organ, or device if you will, i.e. an 'ear'. The tree makes a disturbance in the air which propogates as a wave regardless of whether an 'ear' is present or not. Strickly speaking, if no ears are there to hear, then there is no sound or noise. :evil:

I'm sorry! Wrong answer! [raucous sound of loud buzzer] :eek:

The word "sound" in physics is synonomous with "sound-wave" or "audio-wave" and discriminates it from other waves.

Our word "sound" is ALSO used as the ear/brain detection of a sound-wave.

"Noise" on the other hand is a particular species of detected sound.

If your mouth is moving and I refuse to listen, is it still nonsense? :eek:

LIke I said before, things happen due to sound waves, you can see the effects of them even if nobody was around to hear the actual sound.

does that mean that you agree with me?

btw, i do believe that bike is on "the piper at the gates of dawn". i could be mistaken however.

---Uhh...I don't know if I agree with you or not; I suppose if you agree with me, then we both agree. :evil:

___I don't know if Bike is on the album you mention, but it is assuredly on the Relics album from 1968.

___Pyro, I haven't spoken a word in this. :eek: