Science Forums

Lsd-25

Queso

you know me, (or do you?) i love to read and learn about psychedelics and things of that sort. well, to cut to the chase, a buddy of mine told me that when you are "on acid" you use parts of your brain you used when you were a kid, some you always use, and parts you've never used before.

is that true? if it is...how can a chemical cause that? wow!

and is it even true that as we progress through our meaningless lives we use different parts of are brain while we do it?

amazing, the human mind.

amazing the rock!

amazing the gazing.

I don't believe that's true. People creat a fine line when they start talking about "parts" of the brain. What he may be reffering to is the activation of dormant receptors. Which is definitly possible.

I'll ask a nuerochemist friend of mine and get back to you with a more definitive answer soon.

I seem to recall hearing one time that doctors had not been able to trace all of the effect LSD has on the mine because it is totally secreted from the body before the effects set in. Science knows a bit about what happens but it is still a mystery as to exactly how it is caused. Then again, this is something I heard many years ago.

I'll ask a nuerochemist friend of mine and get back to you with a more definitive answer soon.

This is what he said:

It blocks the reuptake pump to the 5HT2A receptor which tricks nuerons into believing that there is an increase in seritonin.

Dopamime is released in the prefrontal cortex and limbic system and Glatumate is released in the prefrontal cortex.

This is the lamens explanation I had him give me:

It transfers more of the unconscious mind into the conscious mind.

He also said that the idea of using different "parts" of the brain is a myth.

Hope that helps. :eek:

LSD mimics the effect of the important neurotransmitter serotonin. A quick look at the 2 molecules side-by side is enough for even a non-chemist like me to see why.

Serotonin, you may recall, is the neurotransmitter most effected by the class of drugs known as SSRIs, which include the popular antidepressants Prozac and Welbutrin. So, in a sense, LSD can be considered a super-charged, short acting antidepressant.

I’ve never heard of LSD being considered a truth serum. My personal experience is that, while people on it can be incredibly chatty, they often talk about fantastic, non-factual stuff, without making a lot of effort to qualify it as non-factual. In other words, when people trip, they often lie fabulously. People on acid can also be very purposefully deceptive, even a bit paranoid.

There’s some data to suggest that LSD is an effective component in an addiction treatment program, specifically alcohol addiction. In his books “Mind of the Dolphin” and “Centre of the Cyclone” Research MD, author and drug-culture cult figure John Lilly describes treated a sizable population of alcoholics in Baltimore, MD in the 1960s, under a US Federal Government NIH research grant. In 1967, LSD was classified by the US Fed as a Schedule I drug, making its possession a felony, and effectively ending legal research in not only the US but most of the rest of the world.

Lilly quotes Albert Hoffman as having said that when he synthesized LSD, he was seeking a drug to treat migraine headaches. The starting point for his research was ergot, a naturally occurring and moderately dangerous fungal contaminant commonly found in stored grains. Some people think that the Salem which trials were triggered by the consumption of bread made with ergot contaminated grain.

:eek: Some black markets sell a substance known as “organic acid”. This substance is ergot, which can be made easily in a damp paper napkin. It’s psychotropically inferior to synthetically produced LSD, potentially dangerous, and to be avoided. Unfortunately, since the 1976 ban, the purity and safety of LSD, as with most black markets products, is uncertain, although essentially pharmaceutical grade black market LSD is not uncommon. The most common black market LSD contaminant is methamphetamine, a powerful stimulant commonly known as “crank”. While not innately dangerous in moderate dosages, crank is dangerously addictive, and should be used with great caution, if at all.

Hallucinogens cause cerebral microhemorrhaging. Academic studies of a broad range of hallucinogens show a common thread of generated patterns. Timothy Leary was not deeply connected with some eldritch aspect of the universe, he was burned out.

1) What will a congentially blind person see when administered a hallucinogen?

2) If you want a major mystical experience then go for harmine alkaloids (and note the monamine oxidase inhibition warning). The passion fruit plant Passiflora incarnata, but not the fruit, contains harmine alkaloids.

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/carpet.htm

The real world is more interesting, but it will not come to you unbidden. Anything worth owning is worth acquiring.

http://www.phytochemicals.info/plants/passion-fruit.php

http://passionflow.co.uk/toxic.htm

http://www.shamanshop.net/store/proddetail.cfm/ItemID/11060.0/CategoryID/2000.0/SubCatID/0.0/file.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10696928&dopt=Abstract

Hallucinogens cause cerebral microhemorrhaging.
I’ve not encountered this claim specifically for pharmaceutically synthesized LSD in any credible literature. Unfortunately, with the masses of propaganda produced by the pro and anti LSD factions, it’s difficult to be well informed about it. Do you have a supporting link?
Academic studies of a broad range of hallucinogens show a common thread of generated patterns.
I read an intriguing printed monograph on this, but have been unable to find an electronic version. With your encyclopedic web knowledge, UncleA1, have you one?
Timothy Leary was not deeply connected with some eldritch aspect of the universe, he was burned out.
While I’m no Leary expert, the impression I got from texts by and about him, video recordings, and a few short face-to-face discussions, is that Tim was not so much burned out, as not nearly as smart in his youth as many people believe. He was spirited, personable, and charismatic, but nothing I know of him would lead me to conclude that his sheer intellectual prowess was especially great.

A general caution for this thread:

Taking pharmacologically active substances exposes one to a significant potential for injury, death, or getting thrown in jail. As with any potentially dangerous activity, one should know as much as about it as they can before considering self-medicating, and, if possible, consult with a qualified medical clinician. Many US MDs will discuss illicit drug use in strict confidentiality, although many are not very knowledgeable about it.

If my knowledge of the myths of LSD are correct it was tested by the CIA as an interrogation drug due to its ability to alter one's perception of reality. One could plant suggestions and get an exaggerated response.

i recall seeing a video somewhere on the internet of an early army experiment with lsd. it showed a bunch of soldiers wandering around a giant field just picking things up, looking around, making funny noises, running, giggleing-it was wierd.

• 4 weeks later...

In any case any potent mind altering chemical would be able to trigger electro-chemical reactions within the brain and braincells where memories are stored and trigger dormant or forgotten memories as well as anything stored in the unconcoussness could surface in the subconcousness and in an altered state cause profound mystical experiences

or in some cases a bad trip for an unfortunate user

• 10 months later...
There’s some data to suggest that LSD is an effective component in an addiction treatment program, specifically alcohol addiction. In his books “Mind of the Dolphin” and “Centre of the Cyclone” Research MD, author and drug-culture cult figure John Lilly describes treated a sizable population of alcoholics in Baltimore, MD in the 1960s, under a US Federal Government NIH research grant.

Similar studies went on in Canada and have drawn some new interest according to a recent Belfast Telegraph article.

Writing in the journal Social History of Medicine, Dr Dyck said: "The LSD experience appeared to allow the patients to go through a spiritual journey that ultimately empowered them to heal themselves, and that's really quite an amazing therapy regimen. We accept all sorts of drugs, but I think LSD's 'street' popularity ultimately led to its demise. That's too bad because I think the researchers in Saskatchewan, among others, showed the drug is unique and has some intriguing properties that need to be explored further."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/health_beauty/story.jsp?story=709583

I now have to wonder if acid is a cure for Hypography addiction?:hihi: :umno: :hihi:

I now have to wonder if acid is a cure for Hypography addiction?:hihi: :umno: :hihi:

The effect of hallucinogens tends to be that the thoughts already in place are emphasized. Remember, correlation does not prove causation. Likely, those individuals in treatment were there b/c they truly wanted to recover, their minds saturated with the thought of quitting... the LSD most likely only served to exaggerate that already existing thought process.

If you're tripping at Hypo, likely will become MORE addicted. :doh: