Science Forums

What makes humans different from all the rest

atomsmasher

What makes humans different from all the rest

I have determined that it is self-reflection.

I believe our ability to contemplate a “make believe” moment was first put on display by way of the “Theatre”, way back in 5th century BC

The 5th century BC started the first day of 500 BC and ended the last day of 401 BC.. or 2,521 years ago.

5th century BC - Wikipedia

That is a very long time ago

Anyway, humans are capable of being in that moment in time and space as though they were there, playing a part.

The first plays were performed in the Theatre of Dionysus, built in the shadow of the Acropolis in Athens at the beginning of the 5th century, but theatres proved to be so popular they soon spread all over Greece. Drama was classified according to three different types or genres: comedy, tragedy and satyr plays.

The theatre 

tinyurl.com/3t49jbxw

image.png.5462816a0844a9ffb9064bed42cbef10.pngimage.png.8a702a46e91056195608eaccf83cff97.pngimage.png.673bc9e2d167c6cd9e99ebef14d3bb39.pngimage.png.9698db5723737a316d7800a1344ac035.pngimage.png.a709ef9f5f655caac8744e99725ecf81.png

A play is a work of drama, usually consisting mostly of dialogue between characters and intended for theatrical performance rather than just reading. The writer of a play is a playwright.

Play (theatre) - Wikipedia

Humans eventually were able hear the voices of theatre, nonfiction play by way of the radio.

Anyway, the point is this created an avenue where people can become the person in the play as if you were that person. You can then revisit that play focusing on another aspect of it.

In most cases, morality is woven into the script.

There are the good guys and the bad guys; and in the end the good always wins. 

Tv sequels exemplifies as good set of moral values for the observer to experience. And it is all make believe

Make believe, also known as pretend play, is a loosely structured form of play that generally includes role-play

the individual must be intentionally diverting from reality. The individual must be aware of the contrast between the real situation and the make believe situation.

Make believe - Wikipedia

This healthy ability is what separates us from all the rest.

I watch NCIS, Seinfeld, Gunsmoke, HBO movies of all sorts, MSNBC news, Fox, its all part of the human experience that is unique to the human race; setting us apart from all the rest.

Continuing along this same thread, since theatre originated in Europe;

Do Europeans have sitcoms & comedy to watch on TV today as we do, ?

Edited by atomsmasher

On 6/10/2021 at 2:00 PM, phillip1882 said:

i think there are two things that separate humans from the rest of the animals.

one is the ability to trade an item for something completely different,

Plenty of other animals have shown the ability to trade. Almost all other primates, for example, corvids, squirrels, some cats, some cetaceans. It's very common in the realm of animals with high cognitive function.

On 6/10/2021 at 2:00 PM, phillip1882 said:

and the other is to be on friendly terms with an animal before eating it.

Snakes, tigers.

• 5 weeks later...

Plenty of other animals have shown the ability to trade. Almost all other primates, for example, corvids, squirrels, some cats, some cetaceans. It's very common in the realm of animals with high cognitive function.

yes animals have shown the ability to trade, but not for something completely different.

Snakes, tigers

i've never heard of either of these animals to have that capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

The relationship between animals & humans is evolving.

From murdering~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lionkill.jpg.6df4b19e35fcafa0d950237e8e0171f6.jpg

To being friends, one on one.,,.,,.,.,.,.,.,.,,,

lionplay.jpg.3b5e06326238f2b30433d7d23f188bee.jpg

Only if the Lion knew what we were doing to them in the past, what do you think they would do in return~~?

Edited by atomsmasher

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Man can not live or Come along with the spirit or the flesh. Flesh is deadly boring and the spirit tries to kill humans. But man received a breath of life and needs to live fast and gorgeous. Just to be Alive. He must rebel and not to obey his enemies commands. This is perhaps not the difference between man and animals. I am just saying that man is an animal if he does not live from the bottom of his heart. Just one of the animals. And most of us are Just animals because of the religions or society. We are Brain washed to obey many orders and we are not free. These thoughts are Just a Quick impressions that Came to my mind. 

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, kimnancy said:

Absolutely, self-reflection distinguishes humans. Our knack for "make believe" moments, seen in ancient theatre from the 5th century BC, showcases this unique trait. Theatres, starting with the Theatre of Dionysus in Athens, immersed us in comedy, tragedy, and satyr plays. It's remarkable how this contemplative capacity has endured for over 2,500 years. I'll check out the link you shared.

How can you possibly know that? 

Honestly, I think it is higher level thoughts that make us human the ability to think about higher level things such as art, science, and literature. It is having something to do with having a larger or more dense brain structure that makes it possible for primates to not consider such things but humans to be able to consider these concepts. We will discover with the experiments with artificial intelligence I believe what happened to us to make us this way as we create our A.I. children, one of them eventually achieving human like intelligence and creativity.

Science fiction reference to said technology, Link = Digital Sentience (SMAC) | Civilization Wiki | Fandom

Edited by Vmedvil

12 minutes ago, Vmedvil said:

Honestly, I think it is higher level thoughts that make us human the ability to think about higher level things such as art, science, and literature.

How do you know that? 

It is having something to do with having a larger or more dense brain structure that makes it possible for primates to not consider such things but humans to be able to consider these concepts.

Humans do not have the largest or densest brain structure nor do primates in general. 

We will discover with the experiments with artificial intelligence I believe what happened to us to make us this way as we create our A.I. children, one of them eventually achieving human like intelligence and creativity.

Speculation? 

Science fiction reference to said technology, Link = Digital Sentience (SMAC) | Civilization Wiki | Fandom

Science fiction as a source... really? 

2 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

How do you know that? 

Humans do not have the largest or densest brain structure nor do primates in general. 

Speculation? 

Science fiction as a source... really? 

It was an opinion, I didn't state it was scientific fact, I don't think anyone knows why humans are the way they are.

Edited by Vmedvil

1 minute ago, Vmedvil said:

It was an opinion, I didn't state it was scientific fact, I don't think anyone knows why humans are the way they are.

Then you need to state it as opinion, you asserted it as reality in your post, this is a science forum not an opinion forum. 

9 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Then you need to state it as opinion, you asserted it as reality in your post, this is a science forum not an opinion forum. 

Did, the, "I think", statement and, "I believe", statement not give it away it was an opinion? Okay, Moontanman, supposedly you know why humans are the way they are what is it, that makes us human then? Scientifically... Remember I want like 10 scientific sources too from journals.

Edited by Vmedvil

1 minute ago, Vmedvil said:

Did, the, "I think", statement and, "I believe", statement not give it away it was an opinion? Okay, Moontanman, supposedly you know why humans are the way they are what is it, that makes us human then? Scientifically... Remember I want like 10 scientific sources too from journals.

I never made that claim, as I have said, this is a science forum, what you believe is immaterial, if you cannot back up your claims then do not make them. I am going to bring back the science in this forum, do not make assertions about belief or opinions unless you can back them up.