Science Forums

Pedophiles....

dirty.deeds

Ok here we go... There is a general consensus in the psychiatric comunity that peadophiles are suffering from an illness and that it is not a sexual preferance...They used to say the same about homosexuals in the uk.. Homosexuality is now an accepted sexual preferance so in that light is the same going to happen to the peadophiles eventually?

personally i think paedophiles should be hung draw and quatered aswell as being poisened ,shot and stabbed all at the same time...

If there are any homosexuals that are agrieved about me using there sexuality as a comparison,it is not meant to be detramental to them in any way whatsoever..It's just using it as a way of showning that sexual preferances and acceptabilty change over the years.

Sexual preferences is a dogey subject to say the least..When 2 consenting people have a relationship aslong as no one gets hurt,then whatever they do is up to them....But when these peadophiles abuse a child it's a whole different ball game....

So what do you think are peadophiles suffering from a psychiatric issue or is it a sexual preferance?

First of all, I'm by no stretch of the imagination a homosexual, but I can't imagine that you have offended any of them with your comparison. I don't think you are suggesting that homosexuality and pedophilia are anything alike, and I think you did a very good job at distinguishing your feelings and attitudes about the two. Good for you. I say this only because it is a very touchy subject, and I want everyone to understand up front that I think your post is very clear, and that you are not denigrating a group of people based on their sexual preference.

I also happen to agree with you that pedophiles, or any sexual predator, really, should meet a very grisly, and VERY painful end. It's the mama-bear instinct in me, and I cringe at the thought of someone getting their hands on one of my babies. It just makes me sick, really sick, to my stomach.

I'm not sure that you are very far off though. While doing some supposedly quick research in order to make an informed response, I found myself quite disgusted over the course of the last half hour. Not only does it seem that pedophilia has started to gain support in some circles in society, the number of websites dedicated to the trend of female pedophilia, using the name 'female childlove', is quite disturbing. I think it was better for me to believe that there were few people who accepted pedophilia, instead of it being so easy to find on the internet.

On another note, I will NOT post any of the links that I found to support my view. You can ask for proof on this one all you want, but all I will say is "It's out there, and it's very easy to find". Just connect a few of the words in the google box, and you'll probably end up as disgusted as I am. Frankly, after this little foray, I feel the need for a shower.

Yucky!

Good for you. I say this only because it is a very touchy subject, and I want everyone to understand up front that I think your post is very clear, and that you are not denigrating a group of people based on their sexual preference.
I also agree that he is pretty clear about the direction and intention of his thread.

I also happen to agree with you that pedophiles, or any sexual predator, really, should meet a very grisly, and VERY painful end.
Or locked away for life would also be equitable. I also understand that the majority of prison population takes a very dim view of the pedophile. Anyone for a little belated justice, if you get my drift?

I think it was better for me to believe that there were few people who accepted pedophilia, instead of it being so easy to find on the internet.
What's the old saying; "give' em an inch and they'll take a mile".

Frankly, after this little foray, I feel the need for a shower.
I know exactly what you mean Irish...........

Yucky!

Just a thought, but depending upon the local laws regarding computer crime in whatever area you may be browsing from, you may want to reconsider the depth of your research into this topic. The images that you find to be disgusting and quickly surf away from are still stored in your browser's cache. The presence of these images on your computer may very well be illegal in some jurisdictions.

Again, just a thought...

1) Children should be protected until puberty. Absolutely. Anybody who perpetrates a criminal act upon a child should be heinously punished.

2) All bets are off at puberty.

3) Government gets first whack through taxation and conscription, then it's "ollie ollie oxen free" for everybody else.

4) Anybody can be a Liberal until puberty. After that it is death to the Tooth Faery and Santa Claus. All you truely own is what you can carry in both arms at a dead run. (Uncle Al owns not nearly that much - one hand will be firing an aimed gun, the other holds spare ammo)

i used to live by those rules UA, but darn if it isn't hard to accumulate stuff and harder to get rid of junk..

pedophiles are that way by choice, they pray on children because they are easy targets. my aunt suggests castration. i'm inclined to agree for repeat offenders. what women ni her right mind would associate with a repeat offender?

I've used the "Gays are now accepted, will pedophiles be in the future?" argument before. I've come to think that it's not really the same, I'd say that the acceptability of pedophiles is more like the acceptability of a rapist, since homosexual acts involve two concenting parties. If people start to accept raping people as an alternative lifestyle, then you can be sure that pedophiles will be accepted next.

I also happen to agree with you that pedophiles, or any sexual predator, really, should meet a very grisly, and VERY painful end.

Pedophiles are people too, although people who have committed terrible crimes. Nobody deserves to die, and we are never in a position to decide who lives and who dies. Pedophiles need to be removed from society, and put somewhere they can't harm other people. More important than punishing pedophiles, however, would be striking at the root of the problem, what it is that causes pedophilia, and how can we stop people from becoming pedophiles?

In my opinion, peadophilia is a symptom of a seriously deranged mind.

Whilst homosexuality is an act between two consenting adults, peadophilia by definition means the involvement of a child.

Now - we don't have to agree with it, but can the State in all honesty define peadophilia as a crime, whilst recruiting kids still below the legal age to join the Armed Forces with the express intent of learning how to kill other human beings? Where's the consistency here?

I believe that the minimum age for entry into the Armed Forces should be at least 25, after the individual applicant have succesfully wrote an exam proving that he/she has a deep understanding of the political issues involved. Maybe I'm living in a dream world.

Handing a State-bought gun to a sixteen-year old dressed in State-bought fatigues is equally criminal in my mind as peadophilia, seeing as it is exploitation of young people who don't know any better. Teach the little sucker to kill, but woe be him if you catch him with a drink below 21.

Peadophilia (to return to the topic at hand) has been speculated to be a manifestation of deep insecurities by the perpetrator, and an expression of the need to 'control'. Apparently, the sexual part of it is secondary to the control part. I think what needs to be done is to interview a couple of thousand peadophiles, and see where we can find common ground in their mental conditions/states/delusions etc. And then find out what in their youths caused this. And then publish the findings widely so that parents can either change the conditions their kids are growing up in or society can change to such an extent that the causes of peadophilia are removed. We won't see any change in the first ten to twenty years, or so - but afterwards, as the first generation grows up where these possible causes have been removed, we might see a serious downturn in cases.

Once again, I'm probably living in a dream world.

Rehabilitation is not working as the psychiatric community had hoped, these people need something more.

It's not going to work. Peds have a mental defect that cannot be fixed without correcting the cause of the defect, i.e. talking to them ain't gonna fix 'em. We currently don't have a fix. Until we do these people need to be removed from society where they can live out their lives in exile. I don't think they should be punished for what is effectively a birth defect, but society should not have to live with it either. They should be isolated until science can find the fix for what is probably a genetic defect to protect those in society that would be their victims. Just my 2¢....

I don't think they should be punished for what is effectively a birth defect

They are not being punished for having a condition, they are being punished for acting upon an urge that society considers criminal. If a man sees a woman that he would like to have intimate relations with (regardless of her feelings toward him) he has not broken the law as long as he takes no action toward the execution of those thoughts. A birth defect is something you live with and work to overcome; a crime is an action, not something you were born with. I have no problem believing that people are scattered over a wide psychological spectrum from birth, but I draw a very fine line when it comes to exclusion from personal responsibility.

They are not being punished for having a condition, they are being punished for acting upon an urge that society considers criminal.

Are you suggesting, with certainty, that they can control their condition. I am not suggesting that they not be held accountable for their actions. I do think mental incarceration is more appropriate than penal action if there is a doubt in their ability to control themselves. That itself is a mental defect that is often witnessed in those with compulsive disorders. How many with tendencies of pedophilia might also have a compulsive disorder as well?

Pedophiles are people too, although people who have committed terrible crimes. Nobody deserves to die, and we are never in a position to decide who lives and who dies.

I felt exactly the same way, about 15 years ago...BEFORE I had children. Something drastic happens to your mind, and your heart, the first time you hold your own child in your arms. At least that's the way it was for me. Seeing my daughter for the first time changed me in ways that I never would have thought possible. Gone were the ideas that everyone deserved another chance, especially when it came to someone harming my child.

On an intellectual level, I might want to agree with you, Dave. But realistically, let someone touch one of my babies, and I can't think of a punishment that would be severe enough.