Science Forums

Homosexual evolution?

EWright

I'm curious... what aspect of evolution, natural selection, survival of a species, would give rise to homosexuality; and apparently such a plethora of it at that? Most homosexuals argue that they were born this way, as opposed to developing the preference due to social or preferencial reasons of choice. How does science/evolution view this? Note: I am not proposing this as an attack on homosexuals and no judgements are meant to be implied.

as long as you are acknowledging bisexuality in the animal kingdom

also that in the animal kingdom successful species can have pure homosexuals that doesn't affect the species.

such as swan, who procreate when necessary but exhibit homosexual tendencies.

human have pure homosexuals. they've been around for ever. our species is extremely successful and thus there is little stress on the individual to procreate.

then its entirely a matter of preference.

some says its genetic.

biological, a lack of testosterone are some fundamental "maleness".

that people with too many older women raising them in their formative years enforces feminine values, essentially emasculating that child.

most of them saying gay people lack an essential "maleness".

then you have those characteristic gay maneurisms, lisps, hyperneatness. being very nice etc.

all things any hetero can be.

its all about personal preference.

as long as you are acknowledging bisexuality in the animal kingdom

also that in the animal kingdom successful species can have pure homosexuals that doesn't affect the species.

such as swan, who procreate when necessary but exhibit homosexual tendencies.

human have pure homosexuals. they've been around for ever. our species is extremely successful and thus there is little stress on the individual to procreate.

then its entirely a matter of preference.

some says its genetic.

biological, a lack of testosterone are some fundamental "maleness".

that people with too many older women raising them in their formative years enforces feminine values, essentially emasculating that child.

most of them saying gay people lack an essential "maleness".

then you have those characteristic gay maneurisms, lisps, hyperneatness. being very nice etc.

all things any hetero can be.

its all about personal preference.

Interesting, though not as scientific an answer as I was looking for. It seems as though you're saying it's both biological and by choice.

It seems to me that natural selection would weed out the "gay gene" if there is one. After all, it's not like "pure homosexuals" have historically had a way of producing offspring. Needless to say, there are now more options for this than there ahve been in the past. But it seems that such a strong preference as one's mating partner should have some scientific basis for existing. And this basis should be tied to it's function, which in this case has no species advancing properties.

if gays are born that way, then murderers are born that way also.

the farther for god america gets, the greater the distruction.

if the nation supports sin, god will punish the nation.

i'm not against the people, just the sin.

sin is sin in the eyes of god, therefore i am no better than anyone eles.

the farther for god america gets, the greater the distruction.

if the nation supports sin, god will punish the nation.

i'm not against the people, just the sin.

sin is sin in the eyes of god, therefore i am no better than anyone eles.

So then gay's "sins" are no worse than your "sins"? Why then judge them as equal to murderers? Are you too equal to a murder or gay in your sins?

Lets try to keep god out of this one...

To some degree yes, but not all. There are species that exhibit homosexual behavior in the wild (dolphins for one). The whole argument about nature vs nurture idea seems to be a little thin. One must understand the influences of both. Genes tend to define the range in which nurture defines the specific loci. There are other factors that can create behaviors (such as tumors and abuse).

Lets try to keep god out of this one...

To some degree yes, but not all. There are species that exhibit homosexual behavior in the wild (dolphins for one). The whole argument about nature vs nurture idea seems to be a little thin. One must understand the influences of both. Genes tend to define the range in which nurture defines the specific loci. There are other factors that can create behaviors (such as tumors and abuse).

So being gay is not genetic? It stems from abuse and brain tumors? :)

No, what I was saying is that there are genetic factors AND there are environmental factors. Just like for murderers (referencing Charles Whitman and the UT Bell Tower Shootings caused by a tumor). There can be environmental factors that push personality into areas not implied by genetics. Yet there are strong correlations to brain chemistry and function in many violent criminals that could very likely be genetic.

since we're comparing gays to murderers

what makes a person decide to be a gay or murderer?

could their decision making genes be simular?

Why should they share a similar genetic trait that relates to these two things? If so, you'd see a lot more gay murderers. I would say most gays do not exhibit violent behavior.

Just avoid behavior that is detremental to society, such as murder. I doubt pink triangles are going to pull down the walls of civilization.[/Quote]

I was more getting at how those who relate to the pink triangle flurished in a civilization that doesn't promote a genetic disposition for thier existence.

I would be inclined to see genetic sexuality much like that of the multiple gene contol over eye color. No one gene turns it on or off, but a cumulative effect to put the individual withinn a basic range of sexuality.

I like the basic range theory by our resident perch professor. Maybe that's why some of you like the bodybuilder woman "Miss Fitness USA" type complete with deep voice and some like your librarian....and some of you are librarians.