Science Forums

Homosexual evolution?

EWright

to rule out the homosexual gene theory, you must look for the same gene in the striate people.

to the dismay of some, the answer to "the reason why" would be considered religus.

i just thought of a great exspirament, let people do what ever they want and see if civillization falls.

another interesting thought:

is their a common gene in the believers of evolution that causes them to believe it?

The driving force behind homosexuality is the same as that of masturbation, or dogs humping legs, and regrettably most shallow heterosexual (casual) sex. None have anything to do with relationships or love or parenting. And they all have more to do with the animal kingdom than intelligent human society. We should all know and do what is best for the cultivation of our species, but we don't because we're all more susceptible to desire than reason.

The driving force behind homosexuality is the same as that of masturbation, or dogs humping legs, and regrettably most shallow heterosexual (casual) sex. None have anything to do with relationships or love or parenting. And they all have more to do with the animal kingdom than intelligent human society. We should all know and do what is best for the cultivation of our species, but we don't because we're all more susceptible to desire than reason.

Gee. sounds like you have a firm grasp on the subject... Perhaps a eugenics program is in your agenda. Minimalizing and degrading a cultural group, why stop at the homo's...just finish the job Hitler started and cleanse the world of jews too.

I've heard so much right-wing neo-religious crap about this it makes me want to vomit and be gald I'm some godless atheist that doesn't want to blame everyone I don't agree with for the denegration of society. Quit pointing fingers and sticking up you nose (which is pretty difficult with your head in the sand) and just try looking in the mirror.

It could be possible that there is a "gay gene" and there are environmental factors, but these are environmental factors that cause homosexuals to act as heterosexuals and pass on their homosexual genes. I think that if these crazed right wingers who want to get rid of homosexuals really wanted to help their cause, they would be very open to homosexuals. Once there was no more stigma attached to it, they would stop acting like heterosexuals and passing their genes on, then given a few generations there would be very few homosexuals around.

The Fall of the Roman Empire

This is all off topic, but...

The fall of the roman empire was more the result of the actions of Julius Ceaser, Pompey, and Augustus. This led to Empire, which in turn led to a VERY long slow decline. It took hundreds of years for Rome to fall, and even then the administrative portion of the Empire had already been moved to Byzantine by Constantine. One could make the argument that the Roman empire didn't really fall untill 1453 A.D. when Byzantine finally fell. Most students of history would be hardpressed to blame this on "people doing whatever they want." If you count Roman decadence as starting with the fall of Carthage (the Romans themselves would probably have done this) in 146 B.C., then Rome lasted for 1599 years of decadent behavior. Thats nearly seven times the current age of the United States.

-Will

Gee. sounds like you have a firm grasp on the subject... Perhaps a eugenics program is in your agenda. Minimalizing and degrading a cultural group, why stop at the homo's...just finish the job Hitler started and cleanse the world of jews too.

Have I proposed "finishing off" anyone? May I voice dissent? Because that is my only intention motivated by a concern for what our society does to itself.

I've heard so much right-wing neo-religious crap about this it makes me want to vomit and be gald I'm some godless atheist that doesn't want to blame everyone I don't agree with for the denegration of society. Quit pointing fingers and sticking up you nose (which is pretty difficult with your head in the sand) and just try looking in the mirror.

Funny, only Christians claim to be sinners. And be glad someone out there cares about the degeneration of our society.

we're not hear to judge anyone, but to set an example. i'm all too quick to judge, and it is sin on my part. i think jesus said it best, let he how is without sin cast the first stone.

god made adom and eve, not adom and steve.

people chose to be gay, god did give us choice. animals do not have choice.

there is no rappist gene

there is no killer gene

there is no evolutionist gene

there is no gay gene.

have you ever saw gattaca, the movie? if not watch it some time

I've posted a thread regarding this same issue quite a while ago.

Experiments done on animals, including rats, mice, chimps etc., have shown that under conditions of high population numbers, homosexuality under these animals tend to increase. It might very well be a mechanism for population control. And a parallel could possibly be drawn with humans, because the highest occurence of homosexuality is in the larger cities.

So - I'm sure there must be a gay hypography member? Come on - tell us; what's the story with being gay?

I will address the first post, as it asked a simple question, and didn't try to judge whether or not homosexuals are sinners - a debate which has NO PLACE on a SCIENCE site.

I think that it is possible for homosexuality to be genetic, although I haven't researched it, nor studied it myself. There are a few possible ways for this to happen. It could be a combination of uncommon recessive genes, it could be that there is sometimes a genetic imbalance, and a male is born with more of the drive of a female, or vice versa. There are probably other ways it could happen, I just don't know them.

Evolutionarily, this wouldn't be a problem because it only deals with about 10% of the population. If anything, it helps the population by limiting child birth in over populated areas.

While I myself am not gay, I have a pretty good idea about the life-style, etc. My best friend of over 10 years is gay and I also have many other friends in the homosexual community.

FIRST AND FOREMOST: ASk 99% of homosexuals if it is a choice. They will tell you no, and most although not ashamed of whom they are, would prefer not to be gay and have to deal with the far-right homophobia (Such as Fred Phelps and his "God Hates Fags" campaign) and daily condemnation from those with Bibles and gun racks.

Second: Even if it were true that sodomy was a sin, there are far worse sins that are pervasive throughout society that I see nary a Christian picketing about. Perhaps God hates Corporate Fraud would yeild possibly some backlash against Kenny Boy.

Finally: This is the same ideology used thoughout history by groups to justify the subjugation of any other group. Religious justification for hate. Total crap. I just don't understand why the few useful passages in the Bible (Which seem to be repeated over and over) are not lived by, but random single quotes are the cornerstone of those that wish to feel better about themselves by denegrating others.

if there are no genes that allow for such things, are their inhibitor genes?

if one suffers from chronic incurable phobias.. could they be genetic?

in the same way all humans had to hunt and kill to survive at some point. we evolved that way... have we evolved since to be able to but know when not to? and how would we know not to if we were never told? as fundamental as it might be some people could take for granted that every human alive knows its wrong, but if they were never told so is there a built in anti killing gene?

The taboo against murder is a subjective one at best. Clans and tribes have a never really had a problem with warring between themselves. This has escalated to culture today, but essentailly the same xenophobe ideals at work. The only real "wrong" in most cultures is to kill "unofficially", but even that can be a bit blurry.

The taboo against murder is a subjective one at best. Clans and tribes have a never really had a problem with warring between themselves. This has escalated to culture today, but essentailly the same xenophobe ideals at work. The only real "wrong" in most cultures is to kill "unofficially", but even that can be a bit blurry.

HAHAHA! But what do you think?

I have clearly stated my views on this from a number og POV's.. But to paraphrase, I feel that the intentional killing of humans is WRONG and UNNECCESSARY in terms of a social scope (in terms of the natural world, to quote Crass, "5 Billion must die..."). There is no example that can be given (aside from hypothetical Goldbergian contivances) that murder is the ONLY solution. Sanctioned killing by the gov't is even worse. Just look at my thread about the death penalty to see my views further...

http://hypography.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1330&page

but the killing of dangerous individuals who would do nothing more than kill people for the fun of it.

they exist, people who become flawed, broken, killing other people for sport. they hold nothing but hate and contempt for their fellow man.

and as a society we try to prevent people from becoming muderous sociopaths but once it happens like a bad apple or shrivelled shoot it needs to be removed.

our society isn't hurting for resources and neither is our population so low we need every individual. so we can try to rehabilitate these people. when such efforts fail spectacularly those people who persist in being deviant shouldn't be suffered to life.

killing murderers will always be ahot topic. but as long as they exist people will know it might be possible to get away with killing whatever their motivation might be, retribution recreation it doesn't matter. in the end either we put them down or people will continue to be killed meaninglessly.

but as much as morality preaches preserving their lives.. why not brainwash them, reprogramming their minds? its not right to do it to a rational thinking person, but these people are irrational dangerous non people who give up their rights when they kill for sport. some crimes should prove a person no longer deserves to be treated as a human.. but their body might still be good. rebuilding their minds so that they are whole new people able to live peacefully and productively once more in society.