Science Forums

An Organized Look At Creating Nerve Gear

Panther

And now that I think about it in SAO the first episode kirito plugged the nerve gear into it looked like a eithernet port so if he did then theoretically his computer would act as the computing force (the core) for the nerve gear. The computer only interprets and relays information the nervegear receives and outputs the actual data. I may be wrong about this though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How's it going guys? My name in this wonderful forum is Coaren. I'm a rather ambitious person and ever since being exposed to FullDive Technology through SAO and the sorts it has led me to a point where I believe that it is possible within the foreseeable future. Some of you have debated the possibility of using external methods for a "Deep Dive" or the Non-BCI methods however I believe that should not be what we should strive for, the point of FullDive Technology is to completely immerse yourself, which in turn can have many benefiting factors, even medical as seen in season 2 of SAO. I believe, that Abiisu is on the right track. If we can find a way to intercept the brains signals before reaching the rest of the body that it will solve many of the issues being disccussed previously such as temperature, taste, balance, etc...

I really think that most of the posts in this forum focuses on how we could go full-dive physically, by providing equipment's for the whole body, As mentioned by Coaren, the point of FullDive Technology is to completely immense yourself in VR. Learning more about the brain will provide us with a good understanding about its connection with the rest of the body (this whole thing was discussed earlier). >> If we could create data types in order to capture brain signals such as the use of different data types in programming (Int, String, Double, etc.) The communication between the brain and the machine will be more structurally organized. I'm still a curious individual who know nothing about neuroscience, but this may be an awesome fact in brain communication.  :pardon: 

Edited by Abiisu

In a True VR system, we wouldn't want to cut off their brain signals from their bodies. The best way we could possibly add smell and other factors into the game is using carefully placed electromagnetic fields to stimulate parts of the brain. You can read more about this concept here: http://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(17)30584-6.pdf

Intercepting brain signals would simply be too difficult while there are other options available such as stimulation and concepts such as Ipsihand (an eeg managed to control a prosthetic through the user imagining to move an arm). Imagining to move vs actually moving will be a good enough barrier between the games for it to not mess up the users normal life outside of VR. 

I think with the added images and senses, imaging to move would be just as immersive. I'm sure, however, researchers will open up many other possibilities in the near future. 

Thanks for all the responses!

Edited by Panther

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys I am only in 6th grade. I have a huge interest in this kind of stuff. I even want to be a software engineer and mechanical engineer. I am in freshmen and higher math already. So anyway I like to think in my future so I was just wondering what college I should go to work on this and what I should major in.

Hey KayabaAkihiko, 

If you are interested in this stuff you would most definitely be interested in the Brain Jackers discord, which is a community based on True VR discussions and other stuff. You can join with this link: https://discord.gg/hjXuPVk

Being in 6th grade doing freshmen math is pretty good, but most people who succeed are on 10th grade math by then like I was.

Just kidding (about the first part) xD, you're doing great. 

Ok sorry if that sounded arrogant you are doing really good, keep it up. I also love to think about my future, great, top-rated colleges for that area include MIT, Cal-Tech, any ivy-league, UC Berkley, UCLA, in the order of best to worst (they are all great). 

Major will come to you later on, I have an idea what I want to major in but I'm not 100% sure at all. Anyways, for now, work hard, stay at the top, stay focused, and check out Brain Jackers on discord!

-panther

• 6 months later...

I’m willing to share my knowledge about how to actually make this work, HOWEVER, I’d like to hold the Monopoly Patton on this Technology BECAUSE there is a HUGE RISK of actually reprogramming people against their own will.

In the First Episode of the Alfheim Online story arc, Kirito mentions how the Bamboo Blade (Shinai) was “light”. This implies to me how ‘powerful’ the NerveGear was in Reprogramming people & I can only imagine how good of a Motorbiker that Kirito became for riding Horses in SAO & such.

If you have any doubts about me, well I’m from Princeton, Minnesota & the University of Minnesota has developed a unique way of combating Breast Cancer, but for me, its just a testbed for developing a device that can even stimulate cellular nerve growth for individuals with mental age caps.

• 2 months later...

How come we can't use the nerve system when the player does something in the game there can be a reaction to the body to feel like that in your head it is actually real. Use the technology that we have from vr, make a more realistic way than other vr games. But from the anime, SAO there was problem from the nerve system.... So make the nerve system connect to the fast buds.

For sound that would be easy, all you need to do is to put headphones is to in your mind we can hear it and to hear it.

To seeks a hard one. On the top of my head all I can think of is to connect to the brain. But to do that there need to be a signal from the "NerveGear" to the brain

Movement is up to mind with the mind it can be very easier to make the avatar move.

From that, this is all I can think of. If any question about this idea or complaints pls respond to my idea

I think I figure it out. The the nerve gear is not connected to anything its a signal from the NG to the brain to imagine the network like sao. We are not doing any thin to the body. See if e signal does work then there are many different kinds of signals around the NG to make a quicker connection to the brain to make it work

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Everyone,

I am only a University student, hence I do not have the manpower or the resources to make this idea a reality. This is why I wish to share it with you so that it will not just die away. One project that solves both the problem of motion in vr and the problem of spacial awareness in real life would be a haptic technology that works like this: It would be a suit, that the user wears and then lies down like people who use the nerve gear. The suit would be full of sensors that read any motion by the user and on the one hand produce an opposite force so that the user stays practically immobile, but at the same time, translate that motion into the virtual world. It would be like a computer mouse in the sense that interaction with it would have immediate results in vr, but the mouse is nailed to the desk. This could include everything haptics have to offer, since everything done so far in haptics can be applied to this idea, (getting shot, being pushed, maybe even feeling heat or cold), as well as everything we have achieved so far in physics models. Pair that up with a pair of vr goggles and a headphone set and all you have left to worry about is smell and taste and let's be honest, taste is really not that necessary to make vr believable at this point.

If we were to do this we would entirely not have to worry about any brain computer interface research, since that is the hard part and jump straight to the making of the mechanical parts and the physics models. It would not be 10000% immersive since it would be different from sleeping and dreaming like SAO, but it is something that can be acomplished a lot faster than actual nerve gear. 

Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Hey Athos, I apologize for not seeing your post earlier. That's definitely a viable option when it comes to creating immersive VR. It would also definitely be easier, although clunkier as well. The main obstacle would be designing it to be able to be sold and used by the everyday individual. I can imagine a lot of people complaining that it's not similar enough to full dive, but honestly I don't think that matters as much as long as the experience is the same/similar. It's definitely a good idea that would be worth looking into and experimenting with.