Science Forums

Hello, my wish and dream is to be able help create the Nerve Gear. Although I am not skilled in any professions that you have listed, I still want to help. I'm going to be researching a lot on the brain. I've been reading all of your posts and it helped me understand a lot more. My friend and I want to help as much as we can. He's into computer designing... I think. I'll have to verify with him. I can take any spot you need me in. I'll be constantly checking this forum page to see if you responded. I hope we can help. Please allow us to join this company and do what we can.

• 2 weeks later...

As an aspiring game designer, one of my dreams has been to help with the development of FullDive VR (even though my only notable skill is PR/Marketing)... however, I was wondering if there is any way I can help out with this project (even if its just contacting other game designers and tech sites).

I have already figured out that there will have to be some constants that applies to ALL games played via NerveGear:

• Local clock in the UI (Date and time)
  • A way for parents to communicate with their kids in-game, without having to put on the nerve gear themselves

We have to keep in mind that all ages (or at least ages 13+) will get their hands on the nerve gear, so we have to throw some precaution into the system itself to ease the parents' minds (usually we'll just have to make it so they can pull their kids out without having to rip the Nervegear off), and we'll have to make sure that the device is within the budget of the common man (middle class and above).

Edited by FireWOLF109

Of course there are ways that you can help even though you're focus is primarily game design. We are still in the process of researching and formulating ideas, so, you can help with a lot of that, reading the ideas abovs. I hadn't even thought of those before. You are a fresh eye that would be useful to have on the team.

Well one of the challenges that we're going to face is things such as Parental Control, and how players will monitor the outside world during gameplay (which can be resolved with those two solutions that I brought up)... and since adding a clock to the universal UI interface is one of the solutions we can have for this issue... we can also add a timer/alarm to it so that the players know when it's time to get off based on the times that they set (it would also help with liability some).

The most important thing to consider is the fact that IF 13 year-old players were to use the system there would be serious detriments to their self image and social relationships in the real world. It is also safe to assume that hyper-realistic graphics would also be detrimental to their sense of reality. It would be paramount that any "true" simulation of the real world be restricted to adults only as they would already have their feet firmly planted in the real world. It would be important that allowing undeveloped children to play realistic games be made illegal if under-age and if necessary restrict all game access to adults. Sure adults might be vulnerable to some of the same problems, but at least they are free to make their own decisions, like the situation with alcohol and tobacco.

The most important thing to consider is the fact that IF 13 year-old players were to use the system there would be serious detriments to their self image and social relationships in the real world. It is also safe to assume that hyper-realistic graphics would also be detrimental to their sense of reality. It would be paramount that any "true" simulation of the real world be restricted to adults only as they would already have their feet firmly planted in the real world. It would be important that allowing undeveloped children to play realistic games be made illegal if under-age and if necessary restrict all game access to adults. Sure adults might be vulnerable to some of the same problems, but at least they are free to make their own decisions, like the situation with alcohol and tobacco.

The thing is, parents will get their teenagers a copy of the nerve gear regardless (i mean a ridiculous amount of parents buy their children rated M and A games), so it's best to allow parents to monitor their children when they're in game and allow their parents to teach their children the difference between reality and fiction.

The thing is, parents will get their teenagers a copy of the nerve gear regardless (i mean a ridiculous amount of parents buy their children rated M and A games), so it's best to allow parents to monitor their children when they're in game and allow their parents to teach their children the difference between reality and fiction.

Has anyone considered that because of the complex and unique nature of the brain, that each person will have to have the NerveGear calibrated to their wavelengths. Assuming this is the case, even if parents bought this for their kids, the kids would not be able to use the device unless they came in and had it fitted and calibrated to their head shape and brain waves. I really want to emphasize that we need to make sure people know that using gear that was made for someone else could cause inguries to the brain. Also, if this is the case, then it should be easier to limit ages groups that could use the device, but we will also have to enforce the restrictions because it would be very bad if our device was tampered with so that it would work for someone it was not made for.

Has anyone considered that because of the complex and unique nature of the brain, that each person will have to have the NerveGear calibrated to their wavelengths. Assuming this is the case, even if parents bought this for their kids, the kids would not be able to use the device unless they came in and had it fitted and calibrated to their head shape and brain waves. I really want to emphasize that we need to make sure people know that using gear that was made for someone else could cause inguries to the brain. Also, if this is the case, then it should be easier to limit ages groups that could use the device, but we will also have to enforce the restrictions because it would be very bad if our device was tampered with so that it would work for someone it was not made for.

I think its a common misconception that a human brain works in 'waves'. This notion is utterly false: instead waves are just a visual tool produced by EEG to show the activation of neurons. It is true that every person's brain is different; however, just not in t he way you describe it. 

Edited by Iotus

Yes, we use brain wavelengths to almost explain the process of activating multiple neurons in a row, when they aren't actual wavelengths. 

@NightWolfx5 If the device was designed correctly, it most likely could calibrate itself. However, that would take more extensive research and development. A calibration for every brain and person who would want to use the device however would be inefficient. For example, if you designed it to work for a program as a word processor (or something else directed at work), you could turn it on, and then immediately be using a word processor- except you'd be in a fictional universe where there would be multiple tools accessible, easily organized and actually "physical" objects that you can touch because you'd be in a virtual world. I could see this being a very useful environment for the normal workplace (for one, there would be almost certainly no eyestrain like there is now with computers and long days at work). If it was just a blank environment, and otherwise a processor or other work programs, it would be extremely useful. 

Going back to my original point, if you were going to calibrate this device for every single person in an office building, and then have to recalibrate it when people are fired/hired would take forever to actually get to use the device, which would not be helpful in the long run, especially if people were aiming to use this type of technology in a work or school environment.  

Oops. I guess I did just the wrong terminology. Thanks for clearing that up. Anyways, based on what was said above, it would still need to be calibrated, which was my main point, and depending on how advanced we get, the calibration can still be used to restrict the use of certain ages groups with the device.

Oops. I guess I did just the wrong terminology. Thanks for clearing that up. Anyways, based on what was said above, it would still need to be calibrated, which was my main point, and depending on how advanced we get, the calibration can still be used to restrict the use of certain ages groups with the device.

I kinda get what you are getting at.... but... it seems scientifically incorrect....

@auranightheart is correct in saying that an advanced version will probably have methods for calibrating itself, (which i personally believe may be something along the lines of the kinect calibration- do certain movements so the machine gets the feel of it) 

How would calibration figure out what age certain people are? I don't think any calibration process will involve looking at how advanced the development of the brain is (which is finicky anyways). 

I personally believe that VR can be used for other things than gaming: such as entertainment and learning. (Virtual reality is already being used to train some surgeons). So the question should not be 'how to manage it', but 'how to integrate it into our future lives'. 

That is why there would need to be regulations similar to alcohol and tobacco like I said, making it quite literally illegal for parents to allow their children to play underage. It could also be useful if the actual SIN of players be used as part of a universal account similar to how credit cards work. This would prevent hackers or cheaters from EVER coming back as they would literally be banned IRL from ever using VR tech again. This would be important because hacks would destroy any potential future for these games as everyone would use them. Just imagine, why would you follow the rules in a game when instead you could become a god online? Why even bother living in the real world after that? Just play away till you rot right? I think that no matter what, there needs to be a way for people to track what you do in-game in association with real life. Imagine all the nefarious stuff criminals could do in terms of communication!