Science Forums

@17robots

Hello,

My name is Tyler and I am new to this forum.

Honestly you have made me very intrigued and (honestly) a little excited to see if something like Nerve Gear could even be made.

But the support that I've seen in all the sub-forums have given me nothing but hope that we could actually achieve this.

Best wishes from a newbie, 

Tyler

I'm 12, so I'm still new to this field of knowledge but I'm extremely interested and have been doing a lot of research. (Obviously) I can't really join your team at all because of Child Labor Laws, but I'm willing to volunteer information/ask around and see if people would be interested in a product such as this I;m also willing to look up topics if you need anything researched in specific. 

Well, there is the fact that we'd have to map most of the brain (in neurons) to make this sort of technology work. I'm looking to become a bioengineer when I grow up, which will probably be very useful when it comes to ideas such as this. I'm assuming that by the time we make really any show of progress I'll probably be old enough to be legally working, technically (I believe it's 14 in the United States). 

Edited by AuraNightheart

Hello again everybody. Sorry I haven't been really active in these discussions, just been busy with College and the like. I guess I've never directly stated it on here, but I too would like to join your team if you'll have me 17robots :). 

I'm currently in school for Animation/Game design and would love to help out in anyway I can. It's been my life's goal to help see this technology through. I went to a highschool with a dedicated engineering department where I learned a fair share of information on technological architecture as well as some programming and although my skills are rusty in those areas, I have also been able to gather a decent amount of industry connections, and will continue to do so once I graduate college. Hopefully with some industry connections and dedicated members we can help get this project off the ground !

Now I know this isn't an official company (as of yet), but I was wondering if you've had any plan on how to go about organizing everything? Even though right now we're just a dedicated fan-base of a not-yet-existing-technology, I believe that getting an organized structure down (such as maybe an occasional meeting or such) might be beneficial in seeing the project take shape. It might also help garner some attention to potential investors of the tech, which we could possibly use to dedicate ourselves to the research full time. You should probably start a skype group as well if you haven't already . Anyways, if you're already doing all of this, then awesome! I just want to see the project succeed, no matter what it takes lol . 

Edited by Soul

Well, @Soul(great name by the way), it would be great to add another to the team. I am really glad that there is so much interest in this. When I first posted, I wasn't sure if this would become more than just a post or two on a forum. I am really glad to see your interest. We need more people that are working toward degrees in the video game design/ animation area, too. We need people that can help us build models and create renderings of designs. As for a plan, I have been working on trying to work up some organization besides the separate forum, like those skype meetings. We had tried teamspeak, but not everyone could be on and such. And that would be the problem with skype because there are so many people from different parts of the world interested in this. Although, the weekends are the best for me in terms of my work that I take on during the week. And, to reiterate, thanks for your interest into the team. It is great to see that  an idea can unite people. 

-17robots

Well, @Soul(great name by the way), it would be great to add another to the team. I am really glad that there is so much interest in this. When I first posted, I wasn't sure if this would become more than just a post or two on a forum. I am really glad to see your interest. We need more people that are working toward degrees in the video game design/ animation area, too. We need people that can help us build models and create renderings of designs. As for a plan, I have been working on trying to work up some organization besides the separate forum, like those skype meetings. We had tried teamspeak, but not everyone could be on and such. And that would be the problem with skype because there are so many people from different parts of the world interested in this. Although, the weekends are the best for me in terms of my work that I take on during the week. And, to reiterate, thanks for your interest into the team. It is great to see that  an idea can unite people. 

-17robots

Yeah, that seems to be the typical problem with online teams like these. It's hard to have meetings due to different timezones and such (though you do get the benefit of having opinions from people of various countries around the world, as they might have slightly different views due to their uprising, which is always a plus). Maybe if we have a skype group conversation started though, it'll provide another place where we can discuss things in more detail, with the chance for quicker replies from those involved. If the team were ever to grow too large to discuss all of the company's topics, we could always then start separate conversations, each dedicated to a team (such as the Marketing, Programming, etc.), where we could have team leaders that relay the information in the main chat (that includes everyone) so that we can all get a sense of where the project is at. I've been in groups like this for a few different projects now, and it seems to work quite well from what I can tell. Anyways let me know what you think!

P.S. I'm glad you could use me! I would definitely be willing to create some renderings along with other art related projects as needed! (Oh and thanks for liking my name ^.^)

-Soul

Edited by Soul

Also, I highly suggest checking this out: http://gizmodo.com/paralyzed-man-successfully-given-prosthetic-hand-that-c-1730481281? . I think technology like this is worth investigating in order to help gain an understanding as to how the full dive tech might work. This man is able to both send and receive signal from the prosthetic limb. Now although the sensation of touch he is getting might be different from how it feels in real life, I'm wondering if you could "teach" your brain through repeated use that a 'Fake' touch, is in fact a real one. If so, it makes me think of the possibility of just having close approximations on how things "should" feel when we develop the actual system. If the tech proves close enough to the real feeling, I believe that the virtual environment can help trick our brain into perceiving them as reality. Maybe all of this has been discussed before, but I think it's something interesting to bring up.

Oh, I didn't realize it wasn't an official company yet, haha. I guess that means I can help whenever then, though of course I have school too.

We arent able to be considered a company by legal standards but we do mean for this to be structured as such. But, it does mean that you can help out. Which I am glad about.

Yeah, that seems to be the typical problem with online teams like these. It's hard to have meetings due to different timezones and such (though you do get the benefit of having opinions from people of various countries around the world, as they might have slightly different views due to their uprising, which is always a plus). Maybe if we have a skype group conversation started though, it'll provide another place where we can discuss things in more detail, with the chance for quicker replies from those involved. If the team were ever to grow too large to discuss all of the company's topics, we could always then start separate conversations, each dedicated to a team (such as the Marketing, Programming, etc.), where we could have team leaders that relay the information in the main chat (that includes everyone) so that we can all get a sense of where the project is at. I've been in groups like this for a few different projects now, and it seems to work quite well from what I can tell. Anyways let me know what you think!

P.S. I'm glad you could use me! I would definitely be willing to create some renderings along with other art related projects as needed! (Oh and thanks for liking my name ^.^)

-Soul

I see what you are saying. I see the benefits of the skype group, but my issue would be trying to find a time for all of them to be able to attend. I wouod ve able to do that, but someone may have to stay up really late on a weekend(which I personally don't mind doing). As for the chart, I like the way that idea is structured. I think it will work as well. But, at what point should we split? is the question.

In the of this post, however, I want to thank you for your input in that I had wanted to get a skype group together, but never really tried, but I am gonna try to organize one because of the benefits of it.

-17robots

In the of this post, however, I want to thank you for your input in that I had wanted to get a skype group together, but never really tried, but I am gonna try to organize one because of the benefits of it.

-17robots

Awesome. Glad to hear it. Worst comes to worst, we may not be able to "talk" over skype but at least we can still send/recieve messages that may help better distribute tasks and such. I really appreciate you giving my ideas the attention.

-Soul