Science Forums

Survival Wagon Idea - Recreation Or Reality TV

Turtle

I'm following this thread because of my interest in survivalist memes, but I'm having difficulty with the number of emails it sends me. Tell me, is there a way to set up my notify function so that it only gives me the NEXT post, and when I come back to read it I then find all the other posts that might have happened since the NEXT post informed me by email? That is, if I'm notified of a post on Saturday, I don't want to get emails for all the posts on Sunday and Monday and the rest of the week. Saturday's will do fine, as it is where I last left the conversation. I can tread through the conversation online from there.

Regards to all.

The term that you found offensive was in common use in the Gunstores that I visited in the '80s.

It is shorthand for:

"Roaming, Nomadic and Probably Motorized Gangs of Wasteful and Destructive Sexual Sadists {And this Addendum is Important: Stupid and Chuckleheaded too} who might spring up in the Wake of some sort of Holocaust".

Just doesn't have the same Conciseness, does it..... :juggle:

In the past, I have had the occasional Biker take offense.....

So the rambling Entomology of the Term was intended to explain that I don't paint all Bikers with that Brush.....

Only the ones liable to cut their hair into a Mohawk And Dye it Fluorescent Pink And Don ***-Less Chaps and Football Shoulder Pads And Mount their Bikes And go Raping; Robbing and Pillaging when TEOTWAWKI Happens.

And though Gasoline is Presumably in short supply.....

To go Ripping and Roaring through the Desert—Or Wherever—like Teenagers Dragging Mainstreet on a Saturday Night.

No wait—Is there a More "Socially Accepted" Term for "Teenagers"?

Is there a more Sensitive way to say "Dragging Main"?

"Saturday Night" is that Gauche?

:doh: :eek_big: :doh:

Saxon Violence

PS: I am Hateful in All My Posts?

Really?

I'm generally regarded as an Easygoing Fellow with time on my Hands due to being Disabled.....

And I delight in "Cross-Polinating" Info and Data between Forums.

I usually hang on Gun; Survival and Libertarian Forums—And Art.

I hadn't been by here for awhile.....

I came up with what I thought was a Cute Little Joke that I wanted to share.....

And one of the Mods said,

"Welcome Back, we missed you."

I took that literally.....

And I've been trying hard to take an Active Part—Though I don't have the Math to follow much of it.

If I'm perceived of as a Semi-Troll then I can cease taking part.

A Spade is a Spade; but there is no need to refer to it as a !!!#$%%*&?!!! Shovel.

I thought that I was sticking to the Former, but I'm taken to be practicing the Latter.....

Gosh and Gollies.....

Edited by SaxonViolence

The term that you found offensive was in common use in the Gunstores that I visited in the '80s.

And there are literally dozens of such terms used frequently in shops, bars, homes, etc.. Frequent use in certain circles does not make them any less offensive to folks outside those circles...something tells me you would be VERY unlikely to approach a group fitting your description and call them that to their faces or even just say it if you thought they were able to hear you...Nor do I think you would say it in a pub where there were bikers or large openly gay body builders hanging out. The "N word" is frequently used and has been for hundreds of years but something tells me you would not utter it while within earshot of persons of color. People of all types come to this site, some that would have no issue with what you say and others that would be extremely offended. Please keep that in mind when posting.

You know, Mr Turtle.

I Just got back from amazing the usual crowd that gathers every time I go grocery shopping (they never seem to believe that whole cart will fit). I bet I could get away with a pretty small survival wagon. I can fit an entire shopping cart full of groceries in those three little bags, two of which each carry half of a fairly comprehensive tool kit, fasteners, and assorted small parts like bulbs, fuses, sparkplugs, a pint of antifreeze and a quart of oil at all times.

555073_3661227335993_1064861748_n.jpg

Edited by DFINITLYDISTRUBD

PS: I am Hateful in All My Posts?

Really?

I'm generally regarded as an Easygoing Fellow with time on my Hands due to being Disabled.....

And I delight in "Cross-Polinating" Info and Data between Forums.

I usually hang on Gun; Survival and Libertarian Forums—And Art.

I hadn't been by here for awhile.....

I came up with what I thought was a Cute Little Joke that I wanted to share.....

And one of the Mods said,

"Welcome Back, we missed you."

I took that literally.....

And I've been trying hard to take an Active Part—Though I don't have the Math to follow much of it.

If I'm perceived of as a Semi-Troll then I can cease taking part.

A Spade is a Spade; but there is no need to refer to it as a !!!#$%%*&?!!! Shovel.

I thought that I was sticking to the Former, but I'm taken to be practicing the Latter.....

Gosh and Gollies.....

yes, i saw the moderators' welcome. bless his heart; craig is polite to a fault. i on the other hand am only polite to a point. what's more however, we both recognize your antisocial tendencies. here in this thread, i not-so-politely pointed them out and craig in another recent thread politely addresses your hatefulness saying;

Some people – psychopaths – lack normal feelings of empathy. Statement such as

W I am a Dangerous man. I am highly vindictive.

If you knock my hat off, I probably will contain my Rage—simply because I don't wish to go to Gaol....

Not because I don't think that you don't Deserve to have both your arms broken.....

But you insult me to my very core, that you don't respect me as much as you'd respect a blight on Humanity like Charlie Manson.

Saxon Violence

suggest that you are a psychopath, SV.

Although you may be “trying the idea on for size” (in my experience, most people have done this), rather than concluding that you feel so little empathy that you would break his arms for disrespecting you based on experience, if you really feel no empathy, and avoid hurting and killing others only for fear of retaliation or punishment, you most likely are a psychopath.

Though precise detection and counting is difficult, psychopathy is conventionally believed to occur in about 10% of men and about 1% of women. Psychopaths are more likely to be sent to prison than non-psychopaths. Some studies conclude they are also more likely to succeed in business.

(sources: wikipedia article Psychopathy; Enpsychopedia article Psychopathy)

:QuestionM: Do you believe that you’re a psychopath, SV? Why or why not?

as to spades, the idea that it refers to a shovel is an historically recent mis-twisting of language. the original quote refers to "calling a fig a fig and a trough a trough", where a trough is a shallow eating "bowl" resembling a modern "spade" in shape.

anyway, Mr. Violence, while there may be reasons for your hateful & offensive tone, there is no excuse. kindly knock it the hell off. :naughty:

You know, Mr Turtle.

I Just got back from amazing the usual crowd that gathers every time I go grocery shopping (they never seem to believe that whole cart will fit). I bet I could get away with a pretty small survival wagon. I can fit an entire shopping cart full of groceries in those three little bags, two of which each carry half of a fairly comprehensive tool kit, fasteners, and assorted small parts like bulbs, fuses, sparkplugs, a pint of antifreeze and a quart of oil at all times.

555073_3661227335993_1064861748_n.jpg

i agree you can fit a lot in a little space, and my "300 pound" load i keep touting may ultimately be unrealistic for practical purposes. maybe more like 250? all the tools aside, food, and particularly potable water would seem to me the most valuable load in a survival wagon scenario compared to back-packing. my setup carries about 8 gallons and @ about 8 pounds per gallon that is a sizeable part of the all. carrying relatively light weight equipment to purify water is good if not necessary, but it requires you have some water at hand to clean, as well as the means to store and carry that cleaned water. then too you need clean water not only for drinking and cooking, but for cleaning yourself and your equipment.

that's all i got. load 'em up, move 'em out!! :steering:

Hi Turtle,

The magnetic deviation in my area was 11.197 for 27.93 S and 153.39 E. So what difference does it make to a wagoner apart from navigation?

Hi Laurie :hi:

navigation is all i had in mind. :yes: at that, i think i must further specify navigation with a compass and map. that makes the difference that the local magnetic deviation matters to a wagoner. as doubleD pointed out, getting a good bearing on the geographic poles and a rough hour-of-the-day is as easy as looking at the sky, my foggification notwithstanding. :P with proper topographic maps & a compass however, you not only know how you are oriented, but where you are, where you have been and where you are going. "proper" topographic maps usually have the magnetic deviation right on them, with a line to place your compass along in order to orient the map. not sure how often those are updated however? :shrug: :steering: craig early on here said he would take a sextant, which requires doubleD's chronograph, but is extremely accurate.

Edited by Turtle

Hi Turtle,

The magnetic deviation in my area was 11.197 for 27.93 S and 153.39 E. So what difference does it make to a wagoner apart from navigation?

hi again laurie. :wave2:

it occured to me that what you were not specifically asking about, is the idea of a pole-shift that i mentioned and the coincident survivalist meme that such a shift spells doom. :scared: ahhhh well, i was prey to the misinformation myself, but our own eclogite -with no small effort as you might imagine- disabused me of that ignorance. i'll look for the thread, but here's the short of it.

it is Earth's atmosphere that shields us from the biologically damaging Solar emissions, it is not the magnetic field. the magnetic field does redirect charged particles and in so doing protects the atmosphere from erosion by the solar wind, but the fields polarity does not matter to this redirection in the least. even during shifts, the erosion is not so extreme that we are in danger of losing the atmosphere.

then since the whole reversal-is-doom meme is inevitably twined up with some ancient mystic mumbo-jumbo, the fact is that the only reason we even know about pole shifts is that starting in the early 1900's geologists noticed the polarity of some volcanic rocks were opposite the current orientation. :sherlock: refinements in the periodicity, durations, history, etcetera have continued to present.

wiki seems to have the basics pretty well writ. :read: >> Magnetic Reversals

A wind up ticky tock is invaluable for exploration...mine just happens to be a kinetic auto winder to boot

My compass has a halfnarded sextant, but I agree a handy tool...a legitimate one would be even better...but then i've heard astrolabes are pretty fartin accurate, and they are far less complex in their construction...probably more trail hardy.

A wind up ticky tock is invaluable for exploration...mine just happens to be a kinetic auto winder to boot

My compass has a halfnarded sextant, but I agree a handy tool...a legitimate one would be even better...but then i've heard astrolabes are pretty fartin accurate, and they are far less complex in their construction...probably more trail hardy.

well, i knew i should know exactly what an astrolabe was, but i had to look it up. :read: basically an inclinometer, and as luck has it i have one! a little $5 plastic gizmo having opposite arms on an axle with a hanging weight on one end and a pointer on the other & surrounded by a 360 degree scale.

i have cobled an inclinomter together using some string, a stick, a fishing weight, and a protractor. i used it to measure the height of a tree - 83 foot lombardy poplar if i recall :tree: - to resolve the question of its height which had devolved to a bet. :rotfl:

oh...back on the canoe-esque. let's go kevlar then? fiberglass? mold-injected plastic? whatever. get/make canoe. cut in half. give 3 wheels. survive good. :hammer:

new advantage proposal. :ideamaybenot: the bow first setup threads through/cuts through/pushes aside what-have-you the way through thick brush. in this case one might want to "deliver the motive force to" [push] the wagon from the broad end of the wagon or per se, from the stern.

back to you mitch. B)

Here's a setup for you Mr T.

Of course if width were not an issue converting one of these to a human powered wagon would be just the ticket...amphibious...check....able to roll over stuff check....cool....check...capable of carrying a lot of gear....check

Edited by DFINITLYDISTRUBD

Thanx for the giggle

Yup, that would be quite advantageous. Wood has some nice advantages...the most important it is fixable anywhere there is wood.

There is a question as to acceptable width...with your recent width restriction.

right. width. :doh: :kick: so... we go with a probably custom build or find an 8 to nine foot boat with a narrow beam. wooden hulled boats are tough to fix even in drydock. however, when i was a boy my dad built us a canvas covered wood-framed 16 foot canoe. for ribs he used the rims off fruit baskets from the market. lasted 20 years and 1 re-cover before being lost in a fire. canvas punctures pretty easy, but repairs pretty easy too, and floats even if swamped. but i digress. conveyance appliance wood. wood burn. fire bad wood conveyance appliance. :lol: aluminum, not so much and even affording some protection to the contents from fire about. even kevlar boats are doped with resin. plastic burn. burn plastic good not. hurt Og. Og not survive. :rotfl:

so...we make a custom sized/shaped survivawagaroosled from whatever gauge aluminium you suggest doubleD. don't like rivets? bolts then? weld? glue? your choice. since we will be narrow in the beam, i suggest outriggers in boat mode. they are stored on top of the clam-shell custom survivawagaroosled, made of 4" thin-wall plumbing pipe with screw caps and doubling as storage and transport containers. :ideamaybenot:

oh yeah; that's the tao, uh huh uh huh... :alien_dance: