Science Forums

Survival Wagon Idea - Recreation Or Reality TV

Turtle

I think you are messing with me... Stumbled on this while looking for really tiny type....WHY YOU!!!

I suppose you could weld up one out of 1/8" plate that would be hardy enough...but the typical rivited jobs are pretty flimsy and I expect that they would not stand up to much abuse on the trail without failing.

I think you are messing with me... Stumbled on this while looking for really tiny type....WHY YOU!!!

I suppose you could weld up one out of 1/8" plate that would be hardy enough...but the typical rivited jobs are pretty flimsy and I expect that they would not stand up to much abuse on the trail without failing.

ohhhh!! that quote. :lol: i just type the code for size at either end of what i want small.

[size="1"] ipsum bacon [/size] 

renders as ipsum bacon

modest put me onto the spoiler i think; or maybe it was craig. :reallyconfused:

the whole idea of the rally and reality tv show of it is to get the rubber to the road and see what holds together and what does not. build a better wagon if you canon, and be a star. :steering: :bow_flowers: (then don't pay taxes on your earnings and be bumped next season). :Bump2:

i have learned that my wagon sucks for a number of reasons, -like too small of wheels and no brakes-but it doesn't suck as much as no wagon. :kick: :lol:

I assume you read it.

Yeah, the guy on DDP had some nice tall tires on his, centered so the load would balance, had a nice big U shaped handle for steering and balancing leverage and so he could put his weight into motivating it if need be. I'd go with four for better flotation on rough terrain. With the fronts mounted to bicycle forks and allowed to turn freely like casters....besides that would allow for using the existing caliper or disc brakes for stopping power.

Edited by DFINITLYDISTRUBD

I assume you read it.

Yeah, the guy on DDP had some nice tall tires on his, centered so the load would balance, had a nice big U shaped handle for steering and balancing leverage and so he could put his weight into motivating it if need be. I'd go with four for better flotation on rough terrain. With the fronts mounted to bicycle forks and allowed to turn freely like casters....besides that would allow for using the existing caliper or disc brakes for stopping power.

DDP?? is that available online?

i like 2 tall wheels in back, with a relatively well-balanced load, but as i say a front [caster-mount] wheel that you can fold up. with it down you can **** the load so there is enough weight on the tongue to hold the front wheel down. then you can push the wagon, leave it go to free-standing & level, as well as pull it with a rope from a distance. also with 2 wheels, even with a balanced load you are constantly exerting up & down forces to keep the balance and this is tiring. :whew:

on the yoke, i don't use a u-bar because if the wagon flips or falls or rolls down hill out of control (we're talking about 300 pounds here), you are trapped inside the yoke . :omg: on my setup i have a a quick release belt with rings that attach to the pulling poles near th ends. you can push on the belt hands-free with the hips to go, and push back to brake. one of my contests for the rally that i just thought of is the running with the wagon past targets you must shoot. something like what is pictured below, except 1 person and running with a wagon. :agree:

ps don't forget the detachble skis for snow & ice. :idea:

I'll see if I still have the episode recorded and link you once I find the name...their site sux for navigation.

no doubt on the suxage. :yes: and we're supposed to trust them to tell us how to survive? lahoo-zaerrs! :loser: bunkers are just a place to store people until i'm ready to eat them. :innocent:

standing by for uplink...over...roger copy wilco zebra foxtrock rumproast over...

Found a pic. Still looking for the episode.

looks very similar to the mormon handcarts of the great migration. any wagon is better than none, and a wagon/boat (bwoaton? wagoat? :lol:) is even better. however i think those wheels are too big, too heavy, too steel tired and/or too wooden spoked. :unsure: gotta have a damn blacksmith & wood shop with you to fix one of those. :hammer: i think off-the-shelf [out of the junk heap] "bike" type tires & wheels and foam filled rather than air. i'm thinking 2 of the old style rear wheels with coaster brakes; you might find 26"'s? yoke the sprockets together by cables like e-brakes on a car and have them hand actuated by cable from a detachable handle. (well, i think i went into that earlier. :kuku:) anyway, with coaster brakes you don't have to deal with crap getting hung up in & on the exposed caliper-style brakes, and caliper brakes may not work so good in mud anyway. :ideamaybenot: here again, sucky brakes beat no brakes. :dogwalk:

A land based pic. Somethings either wrong with chrome or the site still can't post pics in edit mode.

got it. so for me that looks too wide, & too tall. wheel see how they do when they get to the part of the rally where they have to drag it up a steep slope with tackle. :blink:

Dammit! I can't insert images in edit mode! found this one while digging.

that's my exact wagon, with slightly different tires! paid $80 at Lowes... ahhhh...some number of years ago. made in china;too-few welds and sloppy at that. CWIBTNW (Crappy Wagon Is Better Than No Wagon)

on the pictured setup, stuff hanging outboard; bad idea. flashlight will never stay in those clips and/or will get busted by the handle coming or going.

also, the stock handle & attachment is far too weak for sustained heavy pulling on rough terrain. i installed 3/8" steel eye-bolts to the frame for pulling, and use the stock handle only for steering.

boltcutters!!!??? really??? looks more like a burglary wagon than a survival wagon to me. :rotfl:

my wagon loaded for bugout. (would take me at least 2 hours to put it together these days. hoping for a relatively slow disaster. :lol_haha: 0

Edited by Turtle

Why not go heavy duty and use dirtbike rims with drum brakes or cruiser rims (they can take car and truck tires)? Yeah, they're heavier but you can reliably carry more weight, they're wider, the tires are much harder to puncture, have more aggressive longer lasting tread, can be run dang near flat, and they're cable ready The big advantage I see to his wheels is that they will roll freely over dang near any obstacle, and wood can be repaired with fairly basic tools...yeah a fix on the trail won't be pretty, but unless you are an expert at relacing bicycle rims and plan on carrying spare tubes, tires, patches, spokes, nipples, and rims the wood seems a good candidate, metal farm implement ones would be even better though...with carriage style brakes.

Why bolt cutters is funny...I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it....wire cutters too...never know when a gate or a fence might get in your way....BTW he has a hand operated winch in his kit (still looking) for just such occasions. I'd rather have four wheels...and I definitely would not make mine out of steel plate like he did.

Why not go heavy duty and use dirtbike rims with drum brakes or cruiser rims (they can take car and truck tires)? Yeah, they're heavier but you can reliably carry more weight, they're wider, the tires are much harder to puncture, have more aggressive longer lasting tread, can be run dang near flat, and they're cable ready The big advantage I see to his wheels is that they will roll freely over dang near any obstacle, and wood can be repaired with fairly basic tools...yeah a fix on the trail won't be pretty, but unless you are an expert at relacing bicycle rims and plan on carrying spare tubes, tires, patches, spokes, nipples, and rims the wood seems a good candidate, metal farm implement ones would be even better though...with carriage style brakes.

motor-bike wheels & tires could work if you find the right ones. there are a lot of tradeoffs to make in getting to the full monty. while you might put a heavier load on a certain tire, if you can't actually pull by-hand that heavier load then the extra beef is wasted. :juggle:

Why bolt cutters is funny...I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it....wire cutters too...never know when a gate or a fence might get in your way....BTW he has a hand operated winch in his kit (still looking) for just such occasions. I'd rather have four wheels...and I definitely would not make mine out of steel plate like he did.

boltcutters are too much weight for the expected actual use i think. i have a couple files and hacksaw blades. also have 2 handwinches; one the "come-along" type (in the upright cammo box behind the vertical black pipe in the upper-left pick of the montage of my wagon. :crazy: ) the other is a hand-crank option for my 12v electric winch. 28 pounds!!! may have to chuck that one. :juggle:

ps to be clear, he bought that wagon. i see them all over in peoples' yards. there must be a bajillion of 'em out there. only the main angle-iron frame, the axle supports and wheels are steel plate. the sides are little more than metal foil rolled into a u for stiffness and a light-weight metal mesh tack-welded to them. the sides do fold down and detach though. the main deck is a medium weight metal mesh, also tack welded to the main frame.

Edited by Turtle