Science Forums

Survival Wagon Idea - Recreation Or Reality TV

Turtle

Oh Mr T. should build your own electric winch....a 3000 lb hand cranker fitted with a drive from one of them stupid electric scooters could run for an hour or so on a charge and the battery could be used to power other things when not needed. now for them 5' wheels....plywood brother plywood!!! hey wait! look for a couple of them big spools wire rope comes on!!!!!! they're big they're round and theres already a hole in the center!!!!

I used to have two perfectly good cannon wheels of the 4' in diameter variety.....shame I didn't know you then.:(

BTW heat and lighting- votive candles of the 100 for a dollar or two variety....very useful....works well enough...and no batteries...helpful for lighting fires, warming food, and even adding warmth to a small tent on cold nights. I even have a lantern I made from an old headlight and other odds and ends that uses them. and besides all that they're light so you can carry many with little weight penalty.

I used to have two perfectly good cannon wheels of the 4' in diameter variety.....shame I didn't know you then.:(

BTW heat and lighting- votive candles of the 100 for a dollar or two variety....very useful....works well enough...and no batteries...helpful for lighting fires, warming food, and even adding warmth to a small tent on cold nights. I even have a lantern I made from an old headlight and other odds and ends that uses them. and besides all that they're light so you can carry many with little weight penalty.

well, if the wheels are gone they are gone...but maybe i'll just add a canon to my current rig. :agree:

votive candles...good idea. :thumbs_up making a lantern for them...very good idea. i used to have a little commercial candle lantern but finding the right size candles was a chore & i finally managed to break the glass globe. it did as you say add some appreciable warmth to the small tent. :candle:

Oh Mr T. should build your own electric winch....a 3000 lb hand cranker fitted with a drive from one of them stupid electric scooters could run for an hour or so on a charge and the battery could be used to power other things when not needed. now for them 5' wheels....plywood brother plywood!!! hey wait! look for a couple of them big spools wire rope comes on!!!!!! they're big they're round and theres already a hole in the center!!!!

good idea again. :thumbs_up as luck has it i did buy a portable winch a couple years back. it's designed to hang on a trailer ball using a special plate attachment but can easily be secured to the wagon, a tree or what-have-you by tying. it is rated 2000lbs dead-weight and 6000lb rolling, runs off 12volt battery and has an acessorry crank handle for no-battery conditions. i thought i had a photo of it 'round here but can't find it just now. i have never used it out in the woots, but have used it a couple times at home to move a car and a boat. if i recall correctly it weighs ~15 lbs.

i still have the old bicycle wheels & frames lying about but have done nothing construction wise with them. i exercise my wagon once a week by hauling my trash to the curb. :lol: gonna make it out here this 4th of july for the big rally double-d? i won the $100 first prize by default again last year as i was the only one signed up and it was my $100. :D

let's roll! :steering: rock! :slingshot:

:lol: gonna make it out here this 4th of july for the big rally double-d? i won the $100 first prize by default again last year as i was the only one signed up and it was my $100. :D

I wish :(

I don't even think I could afford the fuel to get there if I rode the bike. (let alone the days it would take just to get there).

votive candles...good idea. :thumbs_up making a lantern for them...very good idea. i used to have a little commercial candle lantern but finding the right size candles was a chore & i finally managed to break the glass globe. it did as you say add some appreciable warmth to the small tent. :candle:
I've seen them....very breakable...definitely not survival duty. I'm thinking a large magnifying lense and one of them parabolic mirrors (you know, the ones in the cosmetics aisle) for my next instead of a headlamp unit...would prolly be much brighter.

BTW what do the rules say about adding an engine to said carts?:rolleyes: I've got an itch to build a steamer.

engines are a no-no for the rally, but for tooth-and-nail survival it's not a bad idea. unlike a gasoline or diesel engine you at least have the potential in the right terrain to gather fuel and water. this means you don't have to carry as much fuel and it's replenishable. for that matter i suppose too that if wood is available you could equip yourself with a gas engine set up with a wood-gasifier and run on wood-gas. (sometimes called brown-gas i think.) build it & they will come...erhm...you will go. :D

engines are a no-no for the rally, but for tooth-and-nail survival it's not a bad idea. unlike a gasoline or diesel engine you at least have the potential in the right terrain to gather fuel and water. this means you don't have to carry as much fuel and it's replenishable. for that matter i suppose too that if wood is available you could equip yourself with a gas engine set up with a wood-gasifier and run on wood-gas. (sometimes called brown-gas i think.) build it & they will come...erhm...you will go. :D

what a shame.

If I can't get water for the engine, I believe I'd be in big trouble as well!!!!!!

and I see an additional benefit of being able to distil drinking water! (and perhaps more elicit beverage as well :D) .

Having given it a great deal of thought a Sterling engine would be more practical :blink: as propulsion, as a means of powering a winch, for generating electricity (for charging batteries and such). It seems to me having such a setup would be ideal for post apocalyptic survival! (well steam or sterling) But it would have to be set up so as to be able to be able to drive any tool needed (water pump, winch, generator, saw, any other useful tool or the vehicle itself) either directly or belt. Of course it would also have to be powerful enough to propel the cart fully laden over any terrain at at least a very fast running pace to allow escape from those intending to take it or worse. In either case steam or sterling I have very nice software for their design and testing somewhere round here. even a few virtual prototypes of high efficiency and decent output. It also seems a hand cart with a tow hitch would be of great necessity...something ideal for foraging and toting extra goodies.

Would be groovy to have a pretend apocalypse...teams could test their skills, and the winner would be determined by who is best off after a couple months with no outside help B)

Round up yer **** it's the end of the world ladies!:D

Having given it a great deal of thought a Sterling engine would be more practical :blink: as propulsion, as a means of powering a winch, for generating electricity (for charging batteries and such). It seems to me having such a setup would be ideal for post apocalyptic survival!

Would be groovy to have a pretend apocalypse...teams could test their skills, and the winner would be determined by who is best off after a couple months with no outside help B)

Round up yer **** it's the end of the world ladies!:D

well, the rally is a cover for post apopopoclypsic shakedown. :ebomb: :ooops: while 3 days vs couple months might seem weak, having pulled my wagon with nothing but a backpack and a camera in it for a measly 3 hours over hilly root covered trail i assure you 3 days of human powered trudging with 300 pounds of cargo is gonna weed out some weenys. :lol: you must bring the means to generate electricity so you can charge batteries, operate tools, etc. this is the 21st century damnit!! i want to go down with the best i can carry in a wagon. arghh & avast ye...:piratesword: if mt. adams blows while we're out there we might get buried in ash & be preserved like the ice man only withoutthe ice. :omg: again, argh & avast...yee...over there...yeah...you three...! :pirate:

LOL! All that pirate talk makes me think a mast and sail would also be of much use!...around here I could probably sail for many miles thanks to the nearly perpetual wind......Hmmmm.....a coast to caost survival race featuring home made (strictly home made) vehicles...you can only use what you have with you, can barter for, or scavenge (legally). ....I like it!! Quick somebody get a tv exec on the phone!!!!

Survival Wagon is a tough idea to sell. If I'm headed for wilderness, I'd like to keep the payload down and a wagon does not help. A handgun, a rifle, bullets, lighters, a couple of knives, a small axe, a light foldable tent sheet and a sleeping bag, a tin pot and a cup. All back rack mounted with mini wheels on rack just in case., Maybe some emergency flares.

Survival Wagon is a tough idea to sell. If I'm headed for wilderness, I'd like to keep the payload down and a wagon does not help. A handgun, a rifle, bullets, lighters, a couple of knives, a small axe, a light foldable tent sheet and a sleeping bag, a tin pot and a cup. All back rack mounted with mini wheels on rack just in case., Maybe some emergency flares.

yep; a tough sell it bein'. :agree: the idea is to do the survivaling with far more cargo than you can carry. (i'm figuring minimum required 300 pounds on the wagon.) the payload-down bit has been done to death by many and near to death by me. :rip: when the going gets tough, the tough get dying to have a wagon. :hal_skeleton: :lol:

LOL! All that pirate talk makes me think a mast and sail would also be of much use!...around here I could probably sail for many miles thanks to the nearly perpetual wind......Hmmmm.....a coast to caost survival race featuring home made (strictly home made) vehicles...you can only use what you have with you, can barter for, or scavenge (legally). ....I like it!! Quick somebody get a tv exec on the phone!!!!

got ya covered on a sail -me matey- with my 6 foot box kite. :idea: coast to coast!!?? you keep uppin' the ante on me. the [proposed] Great Independence Day Handcart & Wagon Rally is only 25 miles in 3 days. (this includes stops for contests like crossing streams, downed trees, and steep incline up-&-downs.)

build it & they will come...to poop on you!! :dog: :rotfl:

yep; a tough sell it bein'. :agree: the idea is to do the survivaling with far more cargo than you can carry. (i'm figuring minimum required 300 pounds on the wagon.) the payload-down bit has been done to death by many and near to death by me. :rip: when the going gets tough, the tough get dying to have a wagon. :hal_skeleton: :lol:

got ya covered on a sail -me matey- with my 6 foot box kite. :idea: coast to coast!!?? you keep uppin' the ante on me. the [proposed] Great Independence Day Handcart & Wagon Rally is only 25 miles in 3 days. (this includes stops for contests like crossing streams, downed trees, and steep incline up-&-downs.)

build it & they will come...to poop on you!! :dog: :rotfl:

LMAO!!!!!!! Yeah, and to boot a reality show!!! Only the camera crew AIN'T allowed to help you....at all....no matter what....if you NEED help yer outa there, you lose! DQ'd on the spot, thanx for playin now... get lost!!!!

You only get to eat what you are carrying, can catch or find....same for water.

You have to fuel and repair your vehicle whit what you are carrying, can scrounge or BARTER possessions or labour for....theft will not be tolerated!!! UNLESS you can steal it from rival teams without gettin caught, beaten, or shot in the @ss with paintballs (No fire arms allowed!!).

You are too supply all shelter, food, fuel, and tools you will need for the entire competition. No cash, checks, IOU's, or credit cards allowed.

If for what ever reason you are too injured, dehydrated, or malnourished to continue you lose...Get busted stealing from anyone other than the rival teams you lose...Get busted stealing from rival teams you get a minimum of 1 day time penalty...if they tie you to a tree it will be one day, PLUS however long it takes you to get free...if you can't get yourself free (within a couple of days) you are considered dead and lose.

Sounds like fun eh?:D

EDIT: if you don't get caught in the act of stealing from rival teams you keep the goodies. No time penalty. Even if they figure out you took their stuff, If they didn't get you while you were taking it it's yours.

• 9 months later...

This thread deserves new attention.

With all the doomsday preppers out there it is an idea worth revisiting!

Saw a fella on DDP that made an awesome steel survival wagon that doubles as a boat! Definitely a great idea, after all at some point you might just have to cross a river, pond, lake etc..

With much though the ideal material for the hull/chassis though expensive would be hard plate aluminum...very light, extremely ridged, and highly corrosion resistant.

The axle(s) steel.... solid tires on disk wheels with sealed bearings fitted with freewheel clutches would be the best, with the freewheel rolling forward while preventing rearward on hills.

Long thought on the whole survival issue determines the cross bow, machete and garden variety 22 to be the ideal primary weapons with a large knife and a Deringer as fallback weapons.

For obtaining additional feedstuffs that don't need shootin simple fishing tackle.

For reference a comprehensive picture book of edible flora and fungi. A good illustrated instructible containing details on how to deal with medical emergencies.

A well stocked first aid kit. A sewing kit with heavy nylon thread for stitching up wounds. Much high proof alcohol.

A small still.

An assortment of fire making supplies.

A magnifying mirror and glass.

Rope, lots and lots of rope.

Tarps.

Mess kits

A hand operated winch.

Shovel, saw, axe (since when does axe not have an E), and jack.

Laminated topographical maps, road atlas, compass, chronograph, and sextant.

Pencils.

Water containers.

Washable filter media.

(MTC time to go chase some food down)

This thread deserves new attention.

With all the doomsday preppers out there it is an idea worth revisiting!

Saw a fella on DDP that made an awesome steel survival wagon that doubles as a boat! Definitely a great idea, after all at some point you might just have to cross a river, pond, lake etc..

With much though the ideal material for the hull/chassis though expensive would be hard plate aluminum...very light, extremely ridged, and highly corrosion resistant.

The axle(s) steel.... solid tires on disk wheels with sealed bearings fitted with freewheel clutches would be the best, with the freewheel rolling forward while preventing rearward on hills.

Long thought on the whole survival issue determines the cross bow, machete and garden variety 22 to be the ideal primary weapons with a large knife and a Deringer as fallback weapons.

For obtaining additional feedstuffs that don't need shootin simple fishing tackle.

For reference a comprehensive picture book of edible flora and fungi. A good illustrated instructible containing details on how to deal with medical emergencies.

A well stocked first aid kit. A sewing kit with heavy nylon thread for stitching up wounds. Much high proof alcohol.

A small still.

An assortment of fire making supplies.

A magnifying mirror and glass.

Rope, lots and lots of rope.

Tarps.

Mess kits

A hand operated winch.

Shovel, saw, axe (since when does axe not have an E), and jack.

Laminated topographical maps, road atlas, compass, chronograph, and sextant.

Pencils.

Water containers.

Washable filter media.

(MTC time to go chase some food down)

:earth: :rant: :ebomb: :omg: i recently got some in-laws jazzed about a survuval wagon. :woohoo: i think they thought i was talkin' **** until i showed them the picture of my loaded wagon in post #68. :D

i don't recall if i posted on this, but i had a thought on the metal and boat thing. :ideamaybenot: get a 12 foot aluminium canoe and cut it in half. then put bulkheads in the cut ends and those bulkheads fitted with fasteners such that you can screw the boat back together as you started. as a wagon, the wheels get attached to 1/2 the canoe and the other half is flipped upside-down and acts as a cover to the lower half. i'm still of the mind that 3 wheels with the single front wheel able to be raised & locked up, the ideal wheel arrangement. :cap: line 'em up. move 'em out! :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :whip-new:

all rights reserved. producers may contact me by joining hypography and posting to this thread or sending me pm. posers will be punked.

:earth: :rant: :ebomb: :omg: i recently got some in-laws jazzed about a survuval wagon. :woohoo: i think they thought i was talkin' **** until i showed them the picture of my loaded wagon in post #68. :D

i don't recall if i posted on this, but i had a thought on the metal and boat thing. :ideamaybenot: get a 12 foot aluminium canoe and cut it in half. then put bulkheads in the cut ends and those bulkheads fitted with fasteners such that you can screw the boat back together as you started. as a wagon, the wheels get attached to 1/2 the canoe and the other half is flipped upside-down and acts as a cover to the lower half. i'm still of the mind that 3 wheels with the single front wheel able to be raised & locked up, the ideal wheel arrangement. :cap: line 'em up. move 'em out! :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :whip-new:

all rights reserved. producers may contact me by joining hypography and posting to this thread or sending me pm. posers will be punked.

I believe either one or both of us may have, but I wasn't about to reread the whole thread. I've seen wooden boats and canoes built to fold up just like that (even have a few schematics kicking aournd here somewhere). The problem with aluminum canoes is that they are not the hardiest of the canoe family...mine gave me no end of grief thanks to rivets that felt the need to leak if they so much as looked at rocks.

How the heck did you do that quote, that's COOL!

Edited by DFINITLYDISTRUBD

I believe either one or both of us may have, but I wasn't about to reread the whole thread. I've seen wooden boats and canoes built to fold up just like that (even have a few schematics kicking aournd here somewhere). The problem with aluminum canoes is that they are not the hardiest of the canoe family...mine gave me no end of grief thanks to rivets that felt the need to leak if they so much as looked at rocks.

How the heck did you do that quote, that's COOL!

yeah; but then i think the aluminium canoe *** wagon would be hardier than wood. plus it won't burn. :fire:

do you mean the post quote? if so, i open a new hypog window & go to the post i want and right-click on the post number (top right) then click on Properties and copy the link that comes up in the popup window. then, close the Properties popup window, go to the post i'm composing and click on the link tool in the edit box. paste the link from Properties into the top entry-bar and in the second entry-bar enter the title you want to display for the link. hit enter. voila! :magic: