• I fly a kite once every 60 years
    • I fly a kite once every 40 years
    • I fly a kite once every 20 years
    • I fly a kite once every 10 years
    • I fly a kite once every year
    • I fly a kite once every month
    • I fly a kite once every week
    • I fly a kite once every day

Turtle, how is your kiting this spring going?

So far, nothing going. :) Had just one windy day that was not also rainy. I also have not found a new flying field. I don't get out much so I better get going on Google Earth and do some searching.

Not much kite-wise in the news that I have seen either. I subscribed to a newsletter from a hot-shot outfit more than a couple months back and have received nada. Most the kite photos at the Flickr group are kite boarders, which is OK if you're into that but I am not. I'm a little sick and tired of seeing them to tell the truth.

Sorry I don't have anything more positive to report. I guess if you see some new UFO story that needs debunking you can put it up here and I can shoot it down. :lol: Don't let my grounding keep you from picking up a dime-store kite and having a go. Good fun for less than $10 is hard to come by these days. :)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Turtle,

It looks like they finally have a kite like wind generator that deploys from a trailer.

http://www.altaerosenergies.com/

Hi Laurie. :wave2:

Kewl jewel! 'Kite like' is an OK description, though as far as I can tell the machine gets all its lift from helium.

I have found a new flying field to try that's reasonably close but I haven't had a go on it yet. I was given some printed/dyed silk by an artist friend to make into a kite but I have had neither the heart or motivation to cut into it. I also found a couple square yards of stout red, white, and blue nylon at a thrift store but when I got it home and unrolled it damned if it wasn't patterned with the state of Texas. D'oh. Texas can dry up & blow away as far as I care (present company excepted Mr. Jones) so I will be cutting the stuff into small enough strips so as to conceal the original theme. Whether I sew it back together as a kite or just make a tail remains to be seen.

That's all I got. Go fly a kite! :fan:

I have found a new flying field to try that's reasonably close but I haven't had a go on it yet. I was given some printed/dyed silk by an artist friend to make into a kite but I have had neither the heart or motivation to cut into it. I also found a couple square yards of stout red, white, and blue nylon at a thrift store but when I got it home and unrolled it damned if it wasn't patterned with the state of Texas. D'oh. Texas can dry up & blow away as far as I care (present company excepted Mr. Jones) so I will be cutting the stuff into small enough strips so as to conceal the original theme. Whether I sew it back together as a kite or just make a tail remains to be seen.

That's all I got. Go fly a kite! :fan:

Keep us up to date with your progress Turtle.

Turtles' just making a fuss... He knows we had a warm winter here compared to the rest of the country who got Buried under snow and all that Global Warming.

and that might prove quite kite-worthy in the Spring.. There might be some strong Pacific winds coming in from Hawaii...

. I also found a couple square yards of stout red, white, and blue nylon at a thrift store but when I got it home and unrolled it damned if it wasn't patterned with the state of Texas. D'oh. Texas can...blow away as far as I care

Sounds just right for making a kite out of! The imagery there is wonderful :P

I'll try. :)

Turtles' just making a fuss... He knows we had a warm winter here compared to the rest of the country who got Buried under snow and all that Global Warming.

and that might prove quite kite-worthy in the Spring.. There might be some strong Pacific winds coming in from Hawaii...

Meh.

Sounds just right for making a kite out of! The imagery there is wonderful :P

It is indeed just right. I paid a dollar for what would have cost 20 or 30 at retail. Have scissors, will cut; have sewing machine, will sew. :)

• 7 months later...

As with most of the kite surfing and kite boarding vids and photos I see, there isn't a kite in sight. It's all about posing with these folks. Look what I can do!. Phhhh. Moreover, since the motive force for surfing comes from the wave, adding a kite seems superfluous.

Of course your interest in kiting is always appreciated Laurie. :)

So far a warm, dry and breezy November here in North East....good kite weather.  No (unofficial) record attempts, just lazy amusement.

Hows things in the northwest Mr. Turtle?

:rain: Chilly & wet here but as we had a terribly hot & dry Summer it's appreciated. Haven't busted out a kite in almost 2 years I'm embarrassed to report. :please:

As with most of the kite surfing and kite boarding vids and photos I see, there isn't a kite in sight. It's all about posing with these folks. Look what I can do!. Phhhh. Moreover, since the motive force for surfing comes from the wave, adding a kite seems superfluous.

Of course your interest in kiting is always appreciated Laurie. :)

Yes Turtle that was one big omission for a kite boarding vid. Incidentally there was another vid at the bottom of that page where a kite surfing foilboard was used as a stand up paddle board on full waves without the kite. http://www.iksurfmag.com/kitesurfing-news/2015/10/stand-up-paddle-foil-ahd-sealion-wings/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Turtle,

It looks like they finally have a kite like wind generator that deploys from a trailer.

Altaeros Energies

Wonder if that requires FAA approval to fly?

Most definitely. Even small kites cannot be flown over 150 feet without FAA notification/approval.

FAA kite regulations: >> FAA Regulations: PART 101 - MOORED BALLOONS, KITES, UNMANNED ROCKETS AND UNMANNED FREE BALLOONS

101.15 Notice requirements.

No person may operate an unshielded moored balloon or kite more than

150 feet above the surface of the earth unless, at least 24 hours

before beginning the operation, he gives the following information to

the FAA ATC facility that is nearest to the place of intended

operation:

(a ) The names and addresses of the owners and operators.

(b ) The size of the balloon or the size and weight of the kite.

(c ) The location of the operation.

(d ) The height above the surface of the earth at which the balloon

or kite is to be operated.

(e ) The date, time, and duration of the operation.

As that link & quote are second hand, here is the FAA original source which was updated this month. >> PART 101—MOORED BALLOONS, KITES, AMATEUR ROCKETS AND UNMANNED FREE BALLOONS

Edited by Turtle

While kitesurfing videos can be pretty vapid, the sport and technology itself is impressive.

Despite the “surf” in the name, a kitesurfing rig – board, kite, and harness – gets its motive force from the difference in wind and water speed, like a sailboat, and can be used in smooth water, such as lakes.

Similarly to sailboards, where rather than a kite, the sail is attached to mast attached to the board a free-rotating gimbaled joint, kitesurfing boards go very fast (records are over 95 km/hr), much faster than small displacement hull sailboats, because not only do their hulls surf “on the step” above their own bow wakes, but their sails give not just horizontal, but upward force, effectively reducing their displacement weight.

Occasionally, this upward force exceeds the rig and rider’s weight, and they fly. Sufficiently skilled kitesurfers can do this in a controlled way to execute stunts, but most of the people I’ve seen get airborn accidentally, and often come down too hard, crashing, and then must spend time and effort getting the kite out of the water (“waterlaunching”) to get underway again. Occasionally, people get seriously hurt or killed from getting carried (and falling from) too high, or into trees or buildings.

Kites can also be used to drive riders on snowboards and snowskiis (snowkiting), or 2 or 3 wheeled “landboards” or buggies. Snowkiting speed records are even higher than waterborn kiteboards and sailboares, over 110 km/hr.

Before taking to a board, student kiteboarders learn to fly the kite (powerkite) while standing.

I’m looking forward to learning to kiteboard, hopefully soon, before age makes me too fragile for it.

Most definitely. Even small kites cannot be flown over 150 feet without FAA notification/approval.

FAA kite regulations: >> FAA Regulations: PART 101 - MOORED BALLOONS, KITES, UNMANNED ROCKETS AND UNMANNED FREE BALLOONS

As that link & quote are second hand, here is the FAA original source which was updated this month. >> PART 101—MOORED BALLOONS, KITES, AMATEUR ROCKETS AND UNMANNED FREE BALLOONS

Hi Turtle,

You are right, Australia's regulations are a bit more forgiving (but very very similar) as the limit is 400 feet if the kite or balloon is under 15kg. 

Australia has been metric since the 60's so it must be some global requirement for vertical distances to be shown in feet, although our regulations do show building heights and most horizontal distances (apart from nautical miles) in metric.

(1)  A person may operate a tethered balloon or a kite above 400 feet AGL outside an area approved under regulation 101.030 as an area for the operation of unmanned balloons or kites (as the case requires) only if:

( a )  the mass of the balloon or kite is no more than 15 kilograms; and

( b )  the horizontal visibility at the time is at least 5 kilometres; and

( c )  the person gives to CASA the information required by table 101.110 about the proposed operation at least 1 working day before it is due to start.

(2)  If more than 1 tethered balloon or kite is to be operated at a time, such a requirement is a requirement to give the information about each such balloon or kite.

https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/casr-part-101-unmanned-aircraft-and-rocket-operations

https://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2015C00997/Html/Volume_3#_Toc438545378

But if you really wanted to create green energy big time this way there would probably be no problems with regulations, just use the same people who sold all our politicians the fracking silver bullets. 

Edited by LaurieAG

Hi Turtle,

Your right, Australia's regulations are a bit more forgiving (but very very similar) as the limit is 400 feet if the kite or balloon is under 15kg. 

Australia has been metric since the 60's so it must be some global requirement for vertical distances to be shown in feet, although our regulations do show building heights and most horizontal distances (apart from nautical miles) in metric.

https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/casr-part-101-unmanned-aircraft-and-rocket-operations

https://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2015C00997/Html/Volume_3#_Toc438545378

But if you really wanted to create green energy big time this way there would probably be no problems with regulations, just use the same people who sold all our politicians the fracking silver bullets.

Interesting that your regs are numbered 101 just as those in the US. At any rate, our regs on the kites above 150ft. indicate one just has to notify the FAA, but not necessarily get permission or a permit. There are also requirements for marking the line when flying above 150ft, both for day & night operation.

As to kite generators I suspect getting approval would be a matter of red tape & fees, but I don't see it ever coming to much even if approved. Too much involved in people having to be on hand to operate the system as opposed to ground station wind turbines which operate unattended.